Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] Journeys on Metro North line would cost €22 - study

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭marmajam

Metrobest, you are closer to the truth than you realise. Big Frank suspects that Metro North IS a nuclear weapon.
    Frankie does'nt like big projects and has been developing a 'small is beautiful' homemade laptop from uranium and plasticine in his shed.
    There's no cure for the radiation poisoning which inflicts the sufferer with nuclear visions and schoolboy howler maths.
    Irish times correspondant is an experimental form of psychiatric therapy wherein the patient is cosseted in his perceptions in the hope that they will burn themselves out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hamndegger wrote:
    I am not too sure as to why it is so but I'd guess at the following...

Newer fleets are more reliable that old and cheaper/more available than older units. Standard models are also quicker and easier to maintain.
    Newer units instil a better customer image over older units.
    New buses are lighter on fuel and will have cleaner emissions.
    Newer units tend to be larger and as such can shift more people.
    Newer units tend to be better fitted, eg wheelchair access, ABS, air suspension, CCTV as standard.
    Older buses can be cascaded to other duties as appropiate.
    EU/State grants would be available to upgrade new models.
    The problem I have with all these explanations is that they apply equally to a city like Berlin, where one sees many 20 year old buses in daily service in good apparant condition and such things as PIS/CCTV have obviously been retrofitted but look and work well. I still believe it goes back to a poorer standard of maintenance. You still see buses in Dublin going about with engine panels not properly fixed shut and absolutely filthy to boot. I would suspect this is symptomatic of the overall care and attention these very expensive pieces of machinery receive once DB takes ownership of them. Iarnrod Eireann are proving daily that having a new and modern fleet does not result in any improvement in service if the ethos behind the company is wrong. I actulayy have a lot more faith in DB than IE in general and blame Dublin City Council and the DoT for a poorly performing bus service more than I bame DB itself, but I still question the merits of replacing a €100,000+ bus after 11 years, just because.

Hamndegger wrote:
    I don't know where CIE get's it fuel from, other than their Bio diesel comes from a crowd called Greyhound. The group would buy diesel in bulk on international markets so they would shop around as much as possible for a lower price.
    Hmmm, I suspect it may still be coming from a russian supplier so. That odour is uniquey DB. I believe it is actually CIE who buys it for them and it's also used in locomotives.

Advertisement