Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Efibre WiFi Signal - PS4 & NetFlix

• 04-03-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Ok first, not very technical but can follow instructions:)

My main Eircom phone line is installed in an office in converted attic of my house. Using the Eircom broadband WiFi we were running PS4 online in one room downstairs and also Netflix in another other room downstairs. OK sometimes Netflix might buffer at bit at times but was usually acceptable. Running the Netflix from an Android MX box.

Decided to install Eircom eFiber to enhance the speed for PS4 & Netflix!

Engineer came out and installed eFibre and left, saying I now had 100mbps. After he was gone I realised my landline no longer worked & running ookla I saw I was getting only 17-20mbps on my laptop with an ethernet connection. My WiFi downstairs was pretty non existent for the Android box (fair signal) and the PS4 was showing a connection speed of 7mbps.

Rang Eircom & after a bit of to/fro another engineer was assigned to come out. This engineer arrived out yesterday and said the wrong connections were made. After fair amount of changes he put a line checker on and it showed 102mbps coming into the phone socket in the office. However running speedtest on my laptop was only giving me approx 25-35mbps ethernet from the F1000. Engineer reckoned might be age of laptop. He was getting WiFi 45mbps on his IPAD.

This morning I was now getting ookla speeds between 50mbps & 79mbps on my laptop (ethernet) but no WiFi signal anywhere to be seen. Rang Eircom again, who switched the broadcast from 40 to 20 (???) and my Wifi came back. So right now I have between 50-79mbps using Ethernet into my Laptop and downstairs the Ipad is showing approx 30-40mbps in both rooms for PS4 & Android Box but I am still getting a lot of buffering & fails with Netflix and not even running PS4. The broadband was soooo much better.

So finally(!) my question is this - I cannot use homeplugs because the electrical circuit in the office is separate to the house circuit. Engineer suggested moving the F1000 downstairs but I cant take a chance that the office is left with no signal. If I could drop two Cat5E cables through the walls to connect from the eircom F1000 to the PS4/Android Box would I get a more stable and higher signal. I suggested this to the eircom engineer and he said no it would probably be worst than wifi because of the distance (guestimate 250 - 350FT cable length). Also since eFibre installed the PS4 is showing IP Packet fragmentation although it seems to be working OK.

I know this is a long winded but I wanted to get all the details in. Anybody any thoughts for increasing my WiFi signal to the PS4/Android Box downstairs please, would Cat5E work and whats causing the packet frags on PS4 and is it a problem?

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement