Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most and least Gaelic counties?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

newmug wrote: »
    I think quare means unusual. If something was quare big, it would be unusually big. Then, of course, we have the more well-known use of the word, which was anglicised to "queer". Around here, queer is still very much used to describe something unusual, eg quare taste off something, quare weather for the time of year etc.
    Interesting.

Around the SE parts I always thought it was mostly used as 'very' alright, I heard things described as 'quare bad' so often that it wouldnt make sense for the person to be truly meaning 'unusual' (e.g Wexford hurling team :P).

But quare was also often used in a different sense for unusual too, like how you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Quare for me means 'some'

"He is a quare / some laugh"
    " I had quare craic last night "

Also, I remember watching a programme once that did DNA testing in the UK ànd Ireland and t said the West (of the island) were the most racially pure.

One view they gave was lack of worker/ people movement into the area and it's distance from the more popular East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Interesting.

Around the SE parts I always thought it was mostly used as 'very' alright, I heard things described as 'quare bad' so often that it wouldnt make sense for the person to be truly meaning 'unusual' (e.g Wexford hurling team :P).

But quare was also often used in a different sense for unusual too, like how you describe.

Ill ignore the slur on our fine hurlers :rolleyes:. Quare means 'very' in my neck of the woods (west Wexford). As in " those spuds are quare nice". As you travel east, towards Rosslare and what was Yola, the dialect changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The fashion for changing personal and surname to Irish, from the Gaelic revival on wards, I have always wondered were the 'new' Irish names actual surnames the family's would have has in the past or were they a complete reinvention, a sort of fantasy connection to the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

mariaalice wrote: »
    The fashion for changing personal and surname to Irish, from the Gaelic revival on wards, I have always wondered were the 'new' Irish names actual surnames the family's would have has in the past or were they a complete reinvention, a sort of fantasy connection to the past.

With regards to surnames well they tend to be original Irish surname that had been anglicised, obviously Norman names generally also had Irish language forms as well.

The issue in general I find with some of the revived Irish personal names is that people often don't know how to pronounce them correctly (Niall is prime example), or they use obselete spelling which isn't relevant in modern Irish (silent internal -dh-/-gh-) and which in modern forms are generally deleted. (eg. Ruaidhrí -> Ruairí, Cliodhna -> Clíona etc.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I think we should all do DNA tests to unravel the whole system of how we're related. Imagine if you could trace your lineage back to some of the bone fragments found in Newgrange!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The frustrating thing is that National Geographic done a lot of tests in the West last year, but didn't release any meaningful results.
    For a company that was a fore runner in DNA testing, they have gone downhill badly.

I think we should all do DNA tests to unravel the whole system of how we're related. Imagine if you could trace your lineage back to some of the bone fragments found in Newgrange!!!

Well at basic level Ancestry will tell you "how Irish" you are ;)

ancestrydna.png

Obviously several hundred years of migration will have an impact.

Ipso wrote: »
    The frustrating thing is that National Geographic done a lot of tests in the West last year, but didn't release any meaningful results.
    For a company that was a fore runner in DNA testing, they have gone downhill badly.

Well technically it was FTDNA in partnership with National Geographic. What we need is a paper, my feeling though is they only ran the "National Genographic 2.0" test, it's not like they did full genomes or anything more existing.

The interesting thing from west of Ireland at moment (in my opinion) is the appearance of what appears to be specific clade within M222 y-Chromosome lineage that appears linked to historic Uí Briúin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

People definitely have a "look" in different parts of the country. You can't mistake the west of Ireland look, a dead straight, wide mouth, and a very spherical looking head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

People definitely have a "look" in different parts of the country. You can't mistake the west of Ireland look, a dead straight, wide mouth, and a very spherical looking head.

Its pretty unfashionable to say this kind of thing and people would shout you down for it but there is plenty of studies that show skull morphology varies according to ethnic background and can be used to infer ancestry. That been said, it works on the population level and I would question it working on individuals or without real metrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Can we clarify our terms? When we're talking about Gaelic, are we talking about those Africans on the west coast, the Norsemen of east Munster, the shoneens of Dublin, the Scots of the north?

More seriously, you might theorise that Connacht would be the most Gaelic because of Cromwell's generous choice between it and Hell; however, plenty of the people who were booted out of rich Munster land and forced to settle in Connacht were "Old English", even including the descendants of the Elizabethan planters as well as Normans.

Incidentally, the "more Irish than the Irish themselves" phrase originally applied to the FitzGerald family, the Earls of Desmond, who married both Gaels and Normans - they were intermarried even with their enemies the Butlers. The phrase didn't refer only to their intermarriage with old Gaelic families, but to their adoption of Gaelic custom: keeping poets, riding bareback, wearing the giob hairstyle, speaking Irish, playing hurling, etc, to the shock and horror of the men of the Pale.

Advertisement