Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat5e set up home network

Options
  • 24-02-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All

I am currently getting my house done up and got the sparks to run cat5e cable to all rooms which is fine. I need to hook up all cables and was wondering how hard is it to do.
    1. Can i use my eircom modem to run all these cables without a switch or patch panel.
    2.Is it easy to put connectors on to the cable.
    3.Is it easy to connect to a wall plate in the rooms.
    4.HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How many rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How many rooms?

5 rooms in total

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No need for a patch panel. I'd get a switch though as the modem will only take four links.

Get this.

And this.

And this

Also a bag of RJ45 heads for the mistakes/practice you need, and faceplates if not already there.

ED E wrote: »
    No need for a patch panel. I'd get a switch though as the modem will only take four links.

Get this.

And this.

And this

Also a bag of RJ45 heads for the mistakes/practice you need, and faceplates if not already there.

I'll give it a go so. what is a switch ? does it just give you more ports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In a residential setting, yes, precisely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I did the same for my house when it was done up (the sparks had no idea how to wire the sockets). My router connects to a switch into which I connect all the cables from all the rooms, so all you have to do is learn about how to ensure that the right coloured wires are connected to the correct positions in the sockets - easier than it sounds actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

8wirepatch.gif

Use this as a guide for attaching your connectors and faceplates. Getting the colors right matters because they're twisted in pairs which negates attenuation and interference. (you can get away with it, but it's better to just use the correct colours).

The above cabling diagram is for a straight through connection. There are also crossover diagrams but you won't be using a crossover cable with just one switch.

Thanks lads I'll give it a go . If I need help I will be coming back to yous 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Stay with T568B ,, use CAT5e or Cat6,, Don't go mad, an 8 port switch will be a good start for a home network.

Or just get a few of these...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

One of these or something similar is well worth the investment ..... it will test all connections so you know before connecting any devices that your connections are good .....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ETHERNET-NETWORK-CAT5E-CABLE-TESTER/dp/B007CJUEDA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425138167&sr=8-2&keywords=network+cable+tester

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

why are you using cat5e when gigabit speeds are around the corner? u want cat 6 mate, also as you have never wired a rj45 get the 2 stage rj45's as they come with a cable guide. makes it a lot more easy for a newbie

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lot-10-CAT-6-Plugs-2-parts-CAT-6-Module-RJ45-Plus-for-solid-CAT6-Cable-CAT6-end-/271541892441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f39287559

tbh its simple gettuing them right, no need for cable testers just do the exact same cable colours on both ends

dazdrog wrote: »
    why are you using cat5e when gigabit speeds are around the corner? u want cat 6 mate, also as you have never wired a rj45 get the 2 stage rj45's as they come with a cable guide. makes it a lot more easy for a newbie

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lot-10-CAT-6-Plugs-2-parts-CAT-6-Module-RJ45-Plus-for-solid-CAT6-Cable-CAT6-end-/271541892441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f39287559

tbh its simple gettuing them right, no need for cable testers just do the exact same cable colours on both ends

Use Cat 6 if you envisage any of the wiring needing greater than 1Gb/s ...... Cat 6 will do 10Gb/s over the short distances in a home.

Personally I see no need for Cat 6 to each room in my home and the extra cost and hassle were deemed not worth it by me (very personal opinion ;) ).

Cat 6 is more difficult to fit in a lot of locations as it is 'stiffer' due to the extra separator in the cable.

Thanks lads need to buy the items this week. Are the wall plates handy to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Skip to around 3 minutes ........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Use Cat 6 if you envisage any of the wiring needing greater than 1Gb/s ...... Cat 6 will do 10Gb/s over the short distances in a home.

Personally I see no need for Cat 6 to each room in my home and the extra cost and hassle were deemed not worth it by me (very personal opinion ;) ).

Cat 6 is more difficult to fit in a lot of locations as it is 'stiffer' due to the extra separator in the cable.

Ditto.

It's my understanding that video is always the biggest bandwidth hog. 4K is definitely where the law of diminishing returns kicks in in terms of displays or cameras in a domestic setting. 4k is still sub gigabit is it not. I just don't see a future need for more than a gigabit per individual cable run.

Calibos wrote: »
    Ditto.

It's my understanding that video is always the biggest bandwidth hog. 4K is definitely where the law of diminishing returns kicks in in terms of displays or cameras in a domestic setting. 4k is still sub gigabit is it not. I just don't see a future need for more than a gigabit per individual cable run.

In time I guess there will be a need ...... but most likely fibre would be replacing the Cat 5e by then.

If the wiring is done reasonable well the old cable can be pulled while pulling in its replacement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Calibos wrote: »
    Ditto.

Depends. 4K can be 20-60 Mb/s depending on the codec used. Raw is around 8 Gb/s.

wiring cat 6 is no more harder then wiring cat5e, i know as ive only just fitted a gigabit network to my house today. 2 bedrooms a sitting room and a press where my server/htpc/nas storage is. ive also hdmi over ethernet ran from the press to each room.

added cost? cat 6 can be got for the same price as cat5e tbh

Lads bought all the gear needed to carryout doing the network but can't get my head around it anyone know who I could get to do it as nixer ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

What's the best method of routing wires behind stud partition walls, both across and down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

degsie wrote: »
    What's the best method of routing wires behind stud partition walls, both across and down?

Run them along the bottom or the top, in places where an errant picture hanging won't put a nail through them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Run them along the bottom or the top, in places where an errant picture hanging won't put a nail through them in future.

Thanks, was thinking more as to how to get the wire through the vertical and horizontal wooden studs without tearing holes in the plasterboard.

degsie wrote: »
    Thanks, was thinking more as to how to get the wire through the vertical and horizontal wooden studs without tearing holes in the plasterboard.

you wont, what you can do tho is if theres tv points in the room u can normally find the ducts up in the attic and then what you could do is bring the cable down them and put a wall plate in the needed rooms. you can get wallplates with both sat feeds and ethernet port ;)

Advertisement