Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ubee EVW3226

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

got one of these today, ubee,speed not much better then 30mb i was on, nowhere near 240mb, lenovo g580 wont connect at all, limited access, nahda, android tablets running fine, linx 8 tablet running ok ,it too had limited access beside singnal, but works,lenovo has me annoyed, any ideas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

chris1970 wrote: »
    got one of these today, ubee,speed not much better then 30mb i was on, nowhere near 240mb, lenovo g580 wont connect at all, limited access, nahda, android tablets running fine, linx 8 tablet running ok ,it too had limited access beside singnal, but works,lenovo has me annoyed, any ideas?

Are you testing it via direct ethernet cable?

First make sure you test it that way. It should give you about 240mb/s

IF it continues to give you about 30mb/s, then it is probably because you haven't been proviosioned for the new 240mb/s profile yet, contact UPC support.

If you get about 90mb/s or so, it might be because you are using an old cat5 cable ethernet cable only capable of max 100mb/s or similarly your laptops ethenet port is only 10/100.

If you get close to 240mb/s then it is a wifi problem and probably time to join the Glorious High End Router Master Race ;) (e.g. buy a high end wifi router to connect to it).

bk wrote: »
    Are you testing it via direct ethernet cable?

First make sure you test it that way. It should give you about 240mb/s

IF it continues to give you about 30mb/s, then it is probably because you haven't been proviosioned for the new 240mb/s profile yet, contact UPC support.

If you get about 90mb/s or so, it might be because you are using an old cat5 cable ethernet cable only capable of max 100mb/s or similarly your laptops ethenet port is only 10/100.

If you get close to 240mb/s then it is a wifi problem and probably time to join the Glorious High End Router Master Race ;)

I have a good quality Cisco with dual 5ghz 2.4 how do I go about setup? Just plug it in? thanks for your time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

chris1970 wrote: »
    I have a good quality Cisco with dual 5ghz 2.4 how do I go about setup? Just plug it in? thanks for your time

Yup just plug it in and have everything hang over that. Also make sure the Cisco is setup on a different network (192.168.1.1) and it's DHCP issuing IP's on that range. That should get you started quiet well.

You can then go further and potentially set the UPC modem to bridge mode (means it only works as a simple modem), but I don't think anyone has tried doing this yet with this new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks- I had the old Cisco modem and was on an old package with them (30Mbps max). Having recently upgraded to Horizon my Wi-Fi speeds have gone from 23Mbps on an old 54G adapter to about 84Mbps having changed to a dual band adapter on the 2.4Ghz setting.
    I'm in no position to connect via cable so Wi-Fi is where it's at for the moment. Is there likely to be any speed increase connecting to the 5Ghz setting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

I had this modem fitted yesterday and I must say I'm very impressed. Where the horizon gave me max 55mb over wifi, this bad boy is giving my android phone 82mb down. Even in my attic 2 stories up, horizon would give me 20/30mb down and I'm now getting 50 or so. Wired is giving me the full 120mb, clocking in around 122mb.

The multicolour lights might take a bit of getting used to though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I do have an issue with the modem which I can't seem to resolve without resetting it. The PC seems to have trouble establishing a connection sometimes and while it'll connect locally, it can't access the internet. The only way to fix the problem is to reset the modem

Phones, tablets, Chromecast are all fine, it's just the PC. I had thought maybe it was the old Trendnet 54G adapter I was using but it's happening still with a dualband TP Link unit.

Any ideas?

I do have an issue with the modem which I can't seem to resolve without resetting it. The PC seems to have trouble establishing a connection sometimes and while it'll connect locally, it can't access the internet. The only way to fix the problem is to reset the modem

Phones, tablets, Chromecast are all fine, it's just the PC. I had thought maybe it was the old Trendnet 54G adapter I was using but it's happening still with a dualband TP Link unit.

Any ideas?

Having the same issue with my lenovo broad com card, driver issue, plugged a cheaper old wireless usb dongle in lenovo and presto back on the Internet, still only getting 30 mb but using a net gear genie for top of House, too much thermal sheet insulation in this old stone house :{

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Got one of this ubees myself, very ISP limited and not impressed with speed at all. Im a new customer that signed up for 240mb,and bearly getting 30mb:mad:

Anyways does anyone know how to set up a dns service with this router?

cheers

Xpro wrote: »
    Got one of this ubees myself, very ISP limited and not impressed with speed at all. Im a new customer that signed up for 240mb,and bearly getting 30mb:mad:

Have you tested by directly connecting an ethernet cable from your pc to the UPC router and running speedtest.upc.ie

If you still get 30mb/s then it is because you are still on your old DOCSIS 2 profile and you need to call UPC to change that.

If you do get 240mb/s then the slowness is due to poor wifi and as discussed for the millionth time here in dozens of threads, you should get a new high qualiy wifi router of your own and plug it into the UPC router to get close to full performance over wifi.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Have you tested by directly connecting an ethernet cable from your pc to the UPC router and running speedtest.upc.ie

If you still get 30mb/s then it is because you are still on your old DOCSIS 2 profile and you need to call UPC to change that.

If you do get 240mb/s then the slowness is due to poor wifi and as discussed for the millionth time here in dozens of threads, you should get a new high qualiy wifi router of your own and plug it into the UPC router to get close to full performance over wifi.

Thanks I will ring UPC this morning.

Speeds tested are via Gigabit port on my mac.

Thanks

Is anyone able to set up port forwarding on this device? The manual that came with the router shows the advanced settings and port forwarding options but unfortunately on my router these options aren't visible?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fearanphoist

the port forwarding function seems to disappear when you plug in the co-ax............ if you reset the router without the co-ax ( i have had a few models now off upc ) and log into the router settings port forwarding is in the advanced tab but when you plug in the co-ax it reflashes the router and when it boots back up - login and it will be gone ( firmware change ) . UPC are denying this but maybe its me and i am pretty sure its not me , they have edited the code so the gui doesnt show the options - the reason being that joe soaps are ringing up annoying them about port forwarding and havent a clue blocking the lines.

I'm switching providers

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Strange thing , My speeds are useless when connected to this router but fine when I connect to the ASUS 56 that I have connected to it . Even using Cat 5 cable .

the port forwarding function seems to disappear when you plug in the co-ax............ if you reset the router without the co-ax ( i have had a few models now off upc ) and log into the router settings port forwarding is in the advanced tab but when you plug in the co-ax it reflashes the router and when it boots back up - login and it will be gone ( firmware change ) . UPC are denying this but maybe its me and i am pretty sure its not me , they have edited the code so the gui doesnt show the options - the reason being that joe soaps are ringing up annoying them about port forwarding and havent a clue blocking the lines.

I'm switching providers

Nice one

I'm switching providers

Or you can ring up and threaten to leave if they don't send you a router that supports port forwarding.

i have done that , threatening them just gets you a new router - all the router i got and i have got three , didnt work . the only one that works is the cisco 2425 . i borrowed it from a friend of mine and its perfect , the rest have PF taking out on the firmware OR html menus

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

i have done that , threatening them just gets you a new router - all the router i got and i have got three , didnt work . the only one that works is the cisco 2425 . i borrowed it from a friend of mine and its perfect , the rest have PF taking out on the firmware OR html menus

If you look back to the start of this thread Sharkman posted how to bridge the router so perhaps go down that route i.e. Bridge it, buy a different router (doesn't have to be that fancy if you just want basic functionality, 30 quid would get you something to work with today but maybe worth spending more for the long haul)

saw that dave but i am trying to get it working first without going out to buy another box , on the same principle of using the private link , i am playing around with , "192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedForwarding" , i get the menu and apply my changes etc but still no joy , i was under the impression that they just hide the GUI links in the admin setup, if the bridge mode works through the link provided above in another post surely the same applies for any of these which are hidden :

"192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedForwarding"

"192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedDmzHost"

"192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedFirewall"

saw that dave but i am trying to get it working first without going out to buy another box , on the same principle of using the private link , i am playing around with , "192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedForwarding" , i get the menu and apply my changes etc but still no joy , i was under the impression that they just hide the GUI links in the admin setup, if the bridge mode works through the link provided above in another post surely the same applies for any of these which are hidden :

"192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedForwarding"

"192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedDmzHost"

"192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedFirewall"

Your logic is sound however unfortunately UPC's is not, their infrastructure is top notch but their kit is cheap crap and their FW is designed to minimize what people can do so that it reduces queries to their helplines. If you have the option to bridge (and maybe Sharkman can confirm if it works) then run with it and don't look back, ever!

• Advertisement

@ dave totally agree, they want to reduce the calls to the helplines, why invest so much and wreck it by implementing garbage at the end user. thanks .

Right, unplugging the coax does not bring the advanced port forwarding menu.
    I have recycled the modem a few times with no joy.

Rang UPC and technical support tells me that as of yet they cannot access the UBEE router as its too new.

I asked how can I enable the port forwarding service and he tells me to ring UPC premium telephone line 1500 924 125 @ a cost of 1.29 per min and they will enable the port forwarding over the phone once I have the port numbers handy.

What an absolute joke. I actually find the modem to be good as per manual and options it has, but UPC has them blocked all.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Dave..M wrote: »
    Your logic is sound however unfortunately UPC's is not, their infrastructure is top notch but their kit is cheap crap and their FW is designed to minimize what people can do so that it reduces queries to their helplines. If you have the option to bridge (and maybe Sharkman can confirm if it works) then run with it and don't look back, ever!

I can confirm that that method worked for me , but I suffered several dropouts over a 12 hour period and so reverted to stock firmware .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Rang UPC and technical support tells me that as of yet they cannot access the UBEE router as its too new.

I asked how can I enable the port forwarding service and he tells me to ring UPC premium telephone line 1500 924 125 @ a cost of 1.29 per min and they will enable the port forwarding over the phone once I have the port numbers handy.

What an absolute joke. I actually find the modem to be good as per manual and options it has, but UPC has them blocked all.

I hope this is not a new plan by UPC, forcing customers to call a premium helpline to enable features like port forwarding...?

Kensington wrote: »
    I hope this is not a new plan by UPC, forcing customers to call a premium helpline to enable features like port forwarding...?

Spoke to UPC over this issue now and they are looking into it.

Also this modem appears to be using two internet protocols IPv4 and IPv6, and some of the devices are struggling to communicate over WiFi due to IPv4 and IPv6 conflict.

Hence some of the user with Lenovo reporting the same issue.
    My Toshiba will connect over wifi but it cant access internet. Same with my macbook. I physically have to change the settings inside the computer in order to get it working.
    This should be an easy issue to resolve if the router was accessibly, but due to the UPC blocking the advance settings, its just the way it is!

Cheers

Spoke to UPC over this issue now and they are looking into it.

Also this modem appears to be using two internet protocols IPv4 and IPv6, and some of the devices are struggling to communicate over WiFi due to IPv4 and IPv6 conflict.

Hence some of the user with Lenovo reporting the same issue.
    My Toshiba will connect over wifi but it cant access internet. Same with my macbook. I physically have to change the settings inside the computer in order to get it working.
    This should be an easy issue to resolve if the router was accessibly, but due to the UPC blocking the advance settings, its just the way it is!

Cheers

Sounds like you are on a dual stack lite set up which could explain the lack of port forwarding

un plug the coax and hold the reset for 20 secs the lights will recycle , when this happens go to 192.168.0.1 and login - keep refreshing until you can get the menus , in the advanced tab you will see it . i have done this with the 3000 series cisco and techcolor and this new one i got today the evw3226 they all change once the coax is plugged in the only one that doesnt is the cisco2425 and its the only one that works for port forwarding.

if you cant see it , with the coax out and you have reset it - 192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedFirewall same thing but the function itself doesnt work period.

hope this helps someone - i am switiching ISP after 5 yrs or so not my choice , have a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

I have recently got one of these routers and I cannot VPN at all now. I still have my DSL broadband and it works fine with that. I'm guessing this router is blocking VPN's altogether, which is a step further than was the case before with other routers.

un plug the coax and hold the reset for 20 secs the lights will recycle , when this happens go to 192.168.0.1 and login - keep refreshing until you can get the menus , in the advanced tab you will see it . i have done this with the 3000 series cisco and techcolor and this new one i got today the evw3226 they all change once the coax is plugged in the only one that doesnt is the cisco2425 and its the only one that works for port forwarding.

if you cant see it , with the coax out and you have reset it - 192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedFirewall same thing but the function itself doesnt work period.

hope this helps someone - i am switiching ISP after 5 yrs or so not my choice , have a good weekend.

I have tried all of the above. To be honest its just not worth my while. Im putting a lot of effort in this and its just not working.

Here is the screenshot of my current network settings.
    The protocol used is Ipv6 with this weird long ip address and most of the websites aren't working for me as they cannot recognise the ip and the access is blocked.

Back to eircom me thinks as much as I don't like their slow internet...:mad:

2rnkiyp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dave..M wrote: »
    Sounds like you are on a dual stack lite set up which could explain the lack of port forwarding

Exactly what I thought, find the WAN address on the Ubee. If its a 10.*.*.* address, your on Dual stack. You will need to be taken off of that to get port-forwarding to work.

I wonder if bridging it gives a proper IPv4 address.

Advertisement