Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing away the smell of Diesel

• 17-01-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

My hands stink of diesel. Showered. Washed them several times wityh ol' fashioned soap. Yet, the smell remains!
    Any ideas on what to use to make it go away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

One doesn't wash away the smell of diesel, one wears it proudly as a sign of manliless!

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

When i was a kid we had this barrel of intensely weird green **** that we used to use to remove oil, diesel, pertrol etc.

No idea what the hell it's called but it looked like Slimer from the Ghostbusters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

When i was a kid we had this barrel of intensely weird green **** that we used to use to remove oil, diesel, pertrol etc.

No idea what the hell it's called but it looked like Slimer from the Ghostbusters.

swarfega!

a real man's soap!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Washing up liquid!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pembily wrote: »
    Washing up liquid!

Just about to say that! I'd go with lemon fairy liquid. If it seems to be working then use some vinegar and lemon then more fairy liquid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

awec wrote: »
    Washing up liquid will do nothing most likely.
    I find it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

a dash of white spirits followed with warm soapy water

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Hold your hands in the smoke from a turf or wood fire. This smell, mingled with the diesel and a dash of tarmac, will be available soon in chemists as Eau de Pikey. :)

I can't explain the chemistry, but all jokes aside, the smoke either masks the diesel smell or changes the chemistry of it. Wash the paws afterwards in good dacent SunLight soap and forget about them namby-pamby lemon-and-lime yokes, for feck's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Use petrol OP, or WD40 if you have any in the shed, either will break down the Diesel and then you can wash the petrol or WD40 off with warm soapy water...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

swarfega!

a real man's soap!!

You legend. That was gonna wreck my head tbh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

swarfega!

a real man's soap!!

we had that at home too.

pure sludge, 'twas the stuff of nightmares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I have to say Galva,of all the threads that have been started in my time as a mod of tGC,this one takes the cake for ones that I never expected to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have to say Galva,of all the threads that have been started in my time as a mod of tGC,this one takes the cake for ones that I never expected to see.

Are you implying that I'm not a manly Diesel man?

Kevin-Nash-Speaks-on-WWE.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

03.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

Try bleach, see how that works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye, it's some sort of gritty stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    This is a thread for the ones from down the country to be honest, who spent their childhood years workin' on motors an tillin fields hai.

Here now, that was never me, but I immediately thought of swarfega

That said you omitted working on the bog...................

and carting gas cylinders around all day :D

They'd have a field day with child slavery if they ever visited those days now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

swarfega!

a real man's soap!!

I always wondered where they came up with that name.
    Sounds like something that's found at the bottom of an active volcano, or dragon excrement - you know, manly stuff that required some sort of middle earth style quest, a fellowship and such to obtain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Galvasean wrote: »
    My hands stink of diesel. Showered. Washed them several times wityh ol' fashioned soap. Yet, the smell remains!
    Any ideas on what to use to make it go away?

Gay & Homosexual Forum that way >>>>>>>>>>>>

:D:D:D

Gay & Homosexual Forum that way >>>>>>>>>>>>

:D:D:D

Oh, FUNNY! :rolleyes:

FYI, it's called the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Sounds a bit stupid but chop an onion and rub it on the hands. Leave for a while and then was it off with washing up liquid.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd try it but the smell is gone now, been nearly two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DwightShrute

Sounds like a good idea. I'd try it but the smell is gone now, been nearly two months.

No wonder you've been struggling to get a date :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

FanadMan wrote: »
    Sounds a bit stupid but chop an onion and rub it on the hands. Leave for a while and then was it off with washing up liquid.

Rub the onion all over your hands and spend the next 30 minutes trying to remember not to rub your eyes :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Bloody hate the smell of it on my hands myself. A decent soap and a rub it well into your hands with a tblspn of sugar is about the best I've come across outside the good industrial soaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Surprised that I didn't get a kick in the bum from the mods for resurecting an old thread lol.

Strange thing is that chopped onion kills loads of smelly stuff, from hands to fridges (finely chop and put in a plate in the fridge). See, everyday is a schoolday :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

If you wash your hand with your piss the ammonia will get rid of it. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I know this is an old thread but for future reference, I would give the urine a miss. Pembilly is correct, washing up liquid is the best.

It's also great for getting dax wax out of your hair and cleaning frying pans!

The surfactant properties of the washing up liquid is what breaks up oil-based stuff like diesel doncha know.

On a slightly related note, i was in a petrol station forecourt this one time (hung over) and I was approached by a perfectly able bodied well dressed middle aged woman and the convo went like this:

her: Could you put diesel in my car for me?
    me: Sorry, I actually don't work here
    her: I know that, would you mind doing it anyway?
    me: are you not able to do it?
    her: I don't know how
    me: are you serious? how long are you driving?
    her: um.... I don't know
    me: so if you don't know it must be a good while then?
    her: yeah
    me: and do you not think that as a motorist who has been driving a good while that you should know by now how to fill your car with fuel? do you get someone to do this in every petrol station?
    her: (speechless...)

So I left her and went into the shop and when I came back out she was filling it grand. As I had guessed she was well able to do it but just didn't want to get the smell of diesel on her hands / clothes.

Neither did I, but that's not why I didn't help her. If it was a frail old dear I would have helped her. I didn't help this one because she was a lying manipulative wagon.

Well - at least the cops will never find the body, right?

Advertisement