Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny Broadband

Options
  • 30-11-2009 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi people,

Have just moved into a new house in Raheny (Avondale area) and it isnt cabled for my current UPC broadband connection.
    What are my other options to get broadband installed?
    Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

mcgooie wrote: »
    Hi people,

Have just moved into a new house in Raheny (Avondale area) and it isnt cabled for my current UPC broadband connection.
    What are my other options to get broadband installed?
    Thanks

Magnet have service off the coolock exchange (serves most of Raheny) if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcgooie

Hi Rory,

Can you tell me what the upload speeds are on the 10 and 24Mb packages?

Also, are there any download limits?

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

mcgooie wrote: »
    Hi Rory,

Can you tell me what the upload speeds are on the 10 and 24Mb packages?

Also, are there any download limits?

Thanks

1. 512Kbps
    2. Fair usage policy applies, we have never invoked this but we reserve the right to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcgooie

ok that sounds good :)

one more question - there is no phone line installed in the house (i cant even find a phone point). so i am assuming i have to call eircom to get them to install a line, is that right? it says on their site that there is a 6 month contract for a line, will i have to be with them for 6 months before i can get magnet bb?

alternatively, if i go through magnet is this something you can arrange with eircom?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Very, very late but just in case someone can benefit ...

I've been in Avondale Park, Raheny (like the O.P.) for seven years. There is no UPC so until recently your only option* has been to use Eircom lines - repackaged as various providers over the years but Eircom lines all the same.

There is one HUGE problem with broadband in the Avondale Park area (possibly Maywood as well) and it is that the underground cable linking the area to the village is substandard and cannot reliably carry a broadband signal from the exchange in Coolock.

To their credit, Eircom have sent engineers to my home on three occasions in this last 18 months alone, checking the cables internally, to the nearby pole and back to the cabinet close to the Howth Rd. They have replaced cables, offered new modems etc but each Engineer has ultimately come to the conclusion that it is an underground issue and will not be resolved without a JCB and some new cable.

Just today, I've checked my line stats and my modem is managing to sync at 1.7Mb despite having a 6dB SN ratio and a downstream attenuation of 63dB. All this and the exchange is only a few miles away.

On the plus side, I've been testing an O2 'Hotshot' modem and that is giving me a reliable 4Mb/s bursting to 9Mb/s over a full-signal HSPA+ connection - technically not broadband but good enough for me (for the moment). I'll probably discontinue the Eircom service in a few weeks when I'm satisfied with the O2 service - looking good at the moment.

Ironically, while writing this response, I got a callback from Eircom asking if the fault on the line had now been fixed. They're a nice bunch but until someone digs up the road, I'll keep telling them (politely) that 'no it isn't fixed and can someone please help'

* Not strictly true, I used Irish BroadBand for a while but the service was so patchy as to be almost unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bq67ie

Hi Chris

I'm living in Maywood and just wondering how you're getting on with that O2 "broadband" ?

My wife & I both have decent mobile plans so if we could get half-decent broadband we might scrap the land line altogether.

As UPC aren't in our estate, Eircom aren't highly motivated to fix the issue :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DCMaywood

Hi There ,I live in Maywood Lawn and have done for years the reason there is no UPC is because originally it was just TV and Maywood and Avondale had their own ariel. UPC Fibre is in Assams across the road and could be put into Maywood Avondale Bettyglen (approx 1000 homes) easily enough. We just need to get together and put pressure on them to do so. I mean 1000 homes surely 90 % would sign up to no line rental and speed 50 times greater than they get now ....Please lets campaign UPC to do this for all our sakes and maybe we could catch up with everyone else.
    DC

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

DCMaywood wrote: »
    Hi There ,I live in Maywood Lawn and have done for years the reason there is no UPC is because originally it was just TV and Maywood and Avondale had their own ariel. UPC Fibre is in Assams across the road and could be put into Maywood Avondale Bettyglen (approx 1000 homes) easily enough. We just need to get together and put pressure on them to do so. I mean 1000 homes surely 90 % would sign up to no line rental and speed 50 times greater than they get now ....Please lets campaign UPC to do this for all our sakes and maybe we could catch up with everyone else.
    DC

Hi DC...I'm moving into this area soon and just been asking a similar question on another thread re. UPC broadband.

I'm assuming they're not going to start laying the infrastructure anytime soon so in the meantime what are the broadband options in the area....from what I can see Magnet don't seem to cover here either?

Hi all,

Just an update on our situation in Avondale Park, we have a 2.5Mb connection from Eircom - the line just won't support more. Eircom have been out a few times and have replaced all of the cabling from the house to the telephone cabinet located close to the entrance of Maywood (from the Avondale Park end). The problem is the line going up to the village - it isn't rated for broadband and won't be replaced any time soon.

That 2.5Mb line supports general browsing and will even run Netflix at a high enough rate to get HD and Dolby Digital sound so I'm happy enough.

I work from home a fair bit and need better access to remote servers in the US and UK. To support that, I use an 02 dongle which regularly gets 5Mb and very often 8Mb - 11Mb. The only down side is that there is a traffic threshold of 15Mb and I've breached that a few times now - € 90 a go. There is a Meteor equivalent which has a 25Mb limit so I may try that.

I've even used Irish Broadband in the past but the reception wasn't great because we're located in a bit of a dip.

Basically getting real broadband at a sensible price in this area isn't possible. Personally I'd pay up to €80pm for unmetered 20Mb/s connection but there are no real options

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Thanks for the update Chris. Disappointing to hear this though. I wonder if Sky will improve things. I have heard different reports of them using Eircom infrastructure but achieving betters speeds than their service though I also read elsewhere that it's BT's cables they are using which I'd assume aren't in this area either

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Two weeks ago, I complained about the issue to Terence Flanagan the local FG TD, pointing out that Eircom were supposed to be in phase 3 of their Fibre-to-the-cabinet project etc. Just got a letter from his office which says that he has raised the issue with Herb Hribar (CEO, Eircom).

You never know, maybe, just maybe.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Hi all,

Two weeks ago, I complained about the issue to Terence Flanagan the local FG TD, pointing out that Eircom were supposed to be in phase 3 of their Fibre-to-the-cabinet project etc. Just got a letter from his office which says that he has raised the issue with Herb Hribar (CEO, Eircom).

You never know, maybe, just maybe.

Chris

Nothing so far anyway. Still getting a max here of 2.5 MB/s download with Magnet and I've previously been with Eircom, BT and Smart and this is the fastest. UPC 150MB/s is available only a 5 minute walk away and yet we're here with this crap. I can get better speed than this on a mobile hotspot on the rural coast of Donegal. Would have switched to mobile here except my house seems to be in a signal blackspot. I just can't win when it comes to having a decent internet connection in this place. There aren't many business to speak of on this side of Raheny and the population is more older people who would have less use for internet at all. Will the fecking cable ever be replaced I wonder? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

All cabling going to cabinets in raheny have been replaced with fibre, along with the addition of fibre cabs, was completed just after easter, there is no official release date for the coolock exchange, but people are speculating that it will be launched in June, not much longer to wait now.

You might have noticed smaller green cabs beside the existing larger cabs, these are the VDSL2 (fibre) cabs which will supply up to 70mb of broadband into each estate. Accurate locations of the cabs can be found here https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#rows:id=4

So, once those cabinets are switched on, the old cable is redundant?, If so, that's great news! I'm less than 100m from the cabinet and didn't notice there was a new one. Must walk over and see now.

EDIT:- Don't see the new cabinet like in the pictures, just a planning permission notice stuck to the side of the existing one, unless it's put somewhere else or I just didn't see it in the dark, I'll check again tomorrrow

What part of Raheny are you in?

That map definitely shows the new cabinet at Maywood / Raheny so that looks great for me. From that cabinet you can almost see my house!

Chris

I've had a good look around and there is NO new cabinet in Maywood/Bettyglen that I can see. There's a planning permission notice on the two old ones but it has not been built yet, at least not anywhere near where it's marked on the map. There are ones at the entrance to Foxfield, Avondale Park and beside the Bank of Ireland exactly where they're marked.

hmmm... thats strange i will swing by on my way home and check it out.

Anyone spot a box in Maywood/Bettyglen yet? Still no luck finding it

Forgot to update you, had a spin around on wednesday to that cab, i could only see the old cab with planning permission on it didn't see a new cab, might be deeper into both estates. strange that there isn't one beside it considering that raheny has been fully finished for some time now.

• Advertisement

allen175 wrote: »
    Forgot to update you, had a spin around on wednesday to that cab, i could only see the old cab with planning permission on it didn't see a new cab, might be deeper into both estates. strange that there isn't one beside it considering that raheny has been fully finished for some time now.

Is it really that surprising? I would imagine that they would need to replace the cable running from the village to Avondale / Maywood before our cabinet coud be replaced with a fibre enabled one.

Chris

Is it really that surprising? I would imagine that they would need to replace the cable running from the village to Avondale / Maywood before our cabinet coud be replaced with a fibre enabled one.

Chris

They wouldn't need to replace any existing copper cabling, they would install the cab and run fresh fibre cable to the new cab, leaving the copper cable there for use with phones.

Raheny is now live for fibre as of today, so in theory you should be able to order fibre from the different ISP's

They wouldn't need to replace any existing copper cabling, they would install the cab and run fresh fibre cable to the new cab, leaving the copper cable there for use with phones.

Raheny is now live for fibre as of today, so in theory you should be able to order fibre from the different ISP's

Thanks for the speedy reply but wouldn't they need to dig up the road from the village?

I've been told that there is only low-grade copper down there from the cross-roads to Maywood / Avondale so surely someone would need to get the spades out?

Thanks for the speedy reply but wouldn't they need to dig up the road from the village?

I've been told that there is only low-grade copper down there from the cross-roads to Maywood / Avondale so surely someone would need to get the spades out?

as i said already, with fibre they don't need to touch the existing copper cables, the old cabs will remain there for voice services, no broadband will be going through the copper after everyone gets on the fibre bandwagon, the only bit of digging that needs to be done is for installing power to the new cabs.

Hopefully I'm just being to skeptical but I don't believe that there is fibre in the ground near Matwood / Avondale at present. I was told by their engineers that Eircom routinely ran fibre to new developments in the area but had not installed fibre from the village to the Maywood area.

Chris

as i said already, with fibre they don't need to touch the existing copper cables, the old cabs will remain there for voice services, no broadband will be going through the copper after everyone gets on the fibre bandwagon, the only bit of digging that needs to be done is for installing power to the new cabs.

There are fibre cabinets around the area, the closest ones to maywood\bettyglen are at the entrance to Maywood/Avondale Park near the bus stop, across the road at the Bank of Ireland and across the road from the Topaz garage at the entrance to Foxfield. There is a planning notice on the cabinet on the main road into Bettyglen/Maywood but unless they hid it in a bush or put it undergroud somewhere, I have yet to find one. I can't see any reason why this one wouldn't have been put in when the rest around the area were unless there was a planning objection. What anyone's objection to this box beside existing ones would be is beyond me so I figure that's unlikely. If they have forgotten this area again, I'll be livid. It's gotten to the stage where the lack of a decent internet commection will negatively affect the value of your house as anyone who needs to work from home would not be able to do so. So I just hope we're connected and I just can't see the VDSL cab. We'll know soon enough anyway as the service launches today. Perhaps the other cabinets in the area are enough to connect to and they didn't need the one here or something. Fingers crossed that we won't still be stuck on the current crap connection we have at least. Any improvement will be welcome.

Perhaps the other cabinets in the area are enough to connect to and they didn't need the one here or something. Fingers crossed that we won't still be stuck on the current crap connection we have at least. Any improvement will be welcome.

I hadn't thought of that, perhaps they can run the cable from the fibre cabinets elsewhere into Avondale Pk. Definitely hope so because I'm tired of my 2.5Mb connection and I don't believe there is any fibre near our existing cabinet.

Got a callback from Eircom. Apparently we'll get a call in a few days to arrange for an Engineer to call out to do the upgrade. I'll keep you posted !

Hi,

I checked this morning and there are two new green cabinets embedded in new concrete near the junction of Maywood and Avondale Park. I guess that's why I go the callback from Eircom - we're probably good to go. I would guess that folks near that end of Maywood would similarly be fine.

Chris

• Advertisement

Advertisement