Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if fibre is already at the cabinet why 6 months to get ready? ftth

Options
  • 01-03-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭

What extra has to be done for FTTH? I have efibre from cabinet so in theory all I should need is fibre to be laid to house??? But I keep reading it takes 6 months to prepare a location for FTTH! Why is this? Will there be another box alongside the existing VDSL cabinets?

And am I right in assuming FTTH will be done on request? ie Eircom announce location is ready and then take orders from interested customers? But as I am with VF does that put another layer in the ordering process?

If it arrives it will be fab but it sounds almost too good to be true and why is it impossible to find out the 16 locations that are top of the list?

help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

swoofer wrote: »
    What extra has to be done for FTTH? I have efibre from cabinet so in theory all I should need is fibre to be laid to house??? But I keep reading it takes 6 months to prepare a location for FTTH! Why is this? Will there be another box alongside the existing VDSL cabinets?

And am I right in assuming FTTH will be done on request? ie Eircom announce location is ready and then take orders from interested customers? But as I am with VF does that put another layer in the ordering process?

If it arrives it will be fab but it sounds almost too good to be true and why is it impossible to find out the 16 locations that are top of the list?

help

It involves pushing new cables through ducts, preparing new distribution points and then pushing the final cabling through the duct to your house. The answer is nobody knows but Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're busy with VDSL at the moment. Still loads of cabs to be built, connected and populated. Get most people up to decent before getting the few up to super fast.

Give it time, once the 1.6Mil VDSL lines are done they can refocus completely on FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

They're going to use GPON, so there's a lot more infrastructurally going on behind the wire.

It's not a case of replacing your copper wire with a fibre wire.

Advertisement