Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with using eircom efibre zyxelF1000 on vodafone

Options
  • 02-03-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I am looking to use my eircom zyxel F1000 efibre modem on vodafone and wanted to know is it the same process as setting up the old modems ie netopia etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

I don't believe you can use your Eircom F1000 on Vodafone, it is locked to Eircom. You can unlock it, flash Zyxel's latest firmware and it will work with any ISP. Performance will be a whole lot better than the Huawei HG658c Vodafone supply. The single board computer in both routers are almost identical from the hardware point of view, they have the same SoC, WiFi radio, etc - only the software is significantly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Both use IPoE, should be able to use it no problem. And the f1000 isn't locked down, unlike the HG and the skyHub. You can enter any details you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

ED E wrote: »
    Both use IPoE, should be able to use it no problem. And the f1000 isn't locked down, unlike the HG and the skyHub. You can enter any details you like.

Ed, you're quite right, my bad. The HG658c has hardcoded username and passwords that cannnot be changed unless you move to the O2 firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭callumsdad

Cheers guys.

Ed, you're quite right, my bad. The HG658c has hardcoded username and passwords that cannnot be changed unless you move to the O2 firmware.

HTML edits might allow you to bypass flashing, but I've only skimmed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057006124

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jt72

Sorry to dig up a thread.

Just looking to confirm F1000 can be used on Vodafone without flashing.

My Vodafone connection stopped working over the last couple of days. I've got an F1000 with Eircom firmware on hand to test with.

I can flash it in a couple of days time, but if I'm not getting a sync at all with it then it's likely the line.

Line tests out OK according to Vodafone...

If F1000 can be used with Vodafone even using Eircom firmware, are there any settings changes required?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

jt72 wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up a thread.

Just looking to confirm F1000 can be used on Vodafone without flashing.

My Vodafone connection stopped working over the last couple of days. I've got an F1000 with Eircom firmware on hand to test with.

I can flash it in a couple of days time, but if I'm not getting a sync at all with it then it's likely the line.

Line tests out OK according to Vodafone...

If F1000 can be used with Vodafone even using Eircom firmware, are there any settings changes required?

You cannot use Eircom's locked F1000 with any other ISP. The broadband settings cannot be changed. Unlock it by following the guide or get it done on adverts.ie and then you will be able to connect to any ISP.

You cannot use Eircom's locked F1000 with any other ISP. The broadband settings cannot be changed. Unlock it by following the guide or get it done on adverts.ie and then you will be able to connect to any ISP.

Are you sure about that? Eir have always allowed the PPPoE details to be changed, sky never and Vodafone did but made it very difficult with the 658c.

ED E wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Eir have always allowed the PPPoE details to be changed, sky never and Vodafone did but made it very difficult with the 658c.

Username and password boxes in vsdl are greyed out, cannot be edited. That was certainly the case when I unlocked my f1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jt72

Username and password boxes in vsdl are greyed out, cannot be edited. That was certainly the case when I unlocked my f1000.

I thought it was still possible to create a new WAN profile where you could specify your own settings. The original VDSL profile uses VLAN 10, which you could edit/disable before creating your own. Otherwise it says VLAN 10 is already in use.

Since I'm having suspected trouble with my line, I couldn't verify any kind of operation at all.

I'm guessing it should have synchronized even if authentication failed?

• Advertisement

jt72 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it should have synchronized even if authentication failed?

Correct.

Advertisement