Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2011 Focus or other! - Diesel or Petrol

Options
  • 18-09-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Looking to change the wifes '07 Petrol Focus Zetec (55k km). She would like to stay with a Focus, she'd get 4.5k trade in for hers and could afford another 12k max so 16.5k budget. She drives into work (non motorway) 20km and back 4 days a week so max 10k km per year. I am having trouble getting a Petrol Focus of this age, all seem to be Diesels which I don't think is a good idea for her mileage. I want something low mileage, 25k km or less. Can anybody recommend an alternative please?! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Thank you!, I hadn't considered done deal. That Focus looks interesting, never heard of that spec (Ford Focus 1.0 Petrol Turbo 5DR Econetic 5dr). Anybody ever owned one or any opinions would be appreciated please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Drove the 123bhp one in a C-Max during the week - I'd say it's an ideal candidate for what your wife needs. The spec on that one is pretty meagre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a 1.0 litre turbo unit that replaced the older petrol engines in the Focus range. It's more powerful and more frugal than the older petrol engines, the reason they don't sell that many here is because they were only about €500 cheaper than the diesel model and specs were limited. Probably a safer bet than the diesel version for low annual mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

would she not be better off buying a new hyundai or Kia at that price?
    *Ford Swappage is here and it means you can trade-in your 2004 – 2008 registered vehicle against a brand new Fiesta and we will give you an extra €1500 Ford Swappage allowance

http://www.ford.ie/Cars/Fiesta

http://www.ford.ie/Cars/Focus

• Advertisement

The spec on that one is pretty meagre though.

Could you emphasise please?!, as long as it has a radio, bluetooth and air con she'll be happy, mind you it looks like this may not have a/c.

mattb74 wrote: »
    Could you emphasise please?!, as long as it has a radio, bluetooth and air con she'll be happy, mind you it looks like this may not have a/c.

It's got an aftermarket Bluetooth kit. It's a basic English spec with alloys put on it. Bluetooth is an add to the steering wheel at the 3 o'clock position. Cruise is at 9 o'clock then.

Probably the 100bhp version too. It might be worth trying to find another one with better spec but there isn't many around.

Very nice but over budget and in Cork (I'm in Dublin). Lovely colour car that is.

Call them and yet a ballpark figure first - you never know. When it comes to a big investment like a car it's sometimes a good idea to look beyond your immediate area to find one. In the case of a petrol Focus like that they are so limited in numbers it's almost necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Come up to 08 get the diesel it's got the cheap tax and trust me it's a lot more cost effective driving a diesel.I start driving diesels years ago and wouldn't have a petrol car for any money unless I wanted a full on sports car.
    My mate has a 06 1.6 petrol focus and it's ridiculous on fuel especially on short runs

Come up to 08 get the diesel it's got the cheap tax and trust me it's a lot more cost effective driving a diesel.I start driving diesels years ago and wouldn't have a petrol car for any money unless I wanted a full on sports car.
    My mate has a 06 1.6 petrol focus and it's ridiculous on fuel especially on short runs

vinnie13 wrote: »

She's got a 7 year old car with 55k km which translates to 5k miles a year. She doesn't need a diesel.

Is the diesel really such a bad idea? She only gets about 400km per tank (50 litres) out of the 1.4 Petrol Focus , I drive the main family car (1.6 Diesel Grand C-Max) and about 12 months ago changed jobs and am much nearer to home, I would do similar mileage to her and rarely on the motorway, yet I get about 600 km from the same size tank.

Is the diesel really such a bad idea? She only gets about 400km per tank (50 litres) out of the 1.4 Petrol Focus , I drive the main family car (1.6 Diesel Grand C-Max) and about 12 months ago changed jobs and am much nearer to home, I would do similar mileage to her and rarely on the motorway, yet I get about 600 km from the same size tank.

Long term diesels don't like small mileage. It's all well and good under warranty but there can be big bills. She needs a tank every 2-3 weeks, diesel won't be much better plus you will pay more for one.

Just Google dpf or dmf problems. She's better off with a petrol. And if you're only getting 600km to a tank from a diesel c-max you might be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I can never understand when someone is doing such low annual mileage and spending thousands on a new car that fuel costs become a deciding factor.

Long term diesels don't like small mileage. It's all well and good under warranty but there can be big bills. She needs a tank every 2-3 weeks, diesel won't be much better plus you will pay more for one.

Just Google dpf or dmf problems. She's better off with a petrol. And if you're only getting 600km to a tank from a diesel c-max you might be too.

there is nothing anywhere to say diesels dont like small milage,that is a silly comment

vinnie13 wrote: »
    there is nothing anywhere to say diesels dont like small milage,that is a silly comment

If it's a case of one long spin every so often and nothing else then it's true.

But if it's constant short spins then you open the door to problems. And there is plenty of information online about that. Some of it isn't even anecdotal;)

The OPs wife would appear to fall into the latter category.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Very nice but over budget and in Cork (I'm in Dublin). Lovely colour car that is.

Corks only a few hours away on the train - and afaik - they run hourly during the day (the trains).

Well worth the trip if the cars right and you can get a deal you can work with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭alfman

Don't rule out a diesel. I drive a 2011 diesel focus and I only do 6000kms a year. I've never had any issues. As long as car is regularly serviced and you take it on a good spin every so often it will be fine.

I get about 800kms from a full tank of diesel which is unbelievable compared to the petrol focus I used to drive.

alfman wrote: »
    Don't rule out a diesel. I drive a 2011 diesel focus and I only do 6000kms a year. I've never had any issues. As long as car is regularly serviced and you take it on a good spin every so often it will be fine.

I get about 800kms from a full tank of diesel which is unbelievable compared to the petrol focus I used to drive.

Is the motor tax much on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭alfman

Is the motor tax much on that?

Tax for the year is €190.

alfman wrote: »
    Tax for the year is €190.

You must be delighted with that!

Advertisement