Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel cost breakdown

Options
  • 28-08-2012 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Have taken this from pumps.ie - shows where every cent of the 1.71 fuel cost is going

Litre of un refined oil – 52c
    Refining cost – 17c
    Irish Excise Taxes, Carbon taxes, Oil Reserves agency levy – 59c
    Distributor – 6c
    Retailer – 5 c
    Vat on all of above – 32c

Total 171

Refinery costs vary from about 12c in winter to 18c in summer as only a cerain amount of unleaded can be naturally taken from each barrel. In times of greater demand the balance is "manufactured", thus a higher refining cost.

The opposite happens in winter with diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I wish my petrol was cheaper, but agree 100% with the taxing structure (I assume thats the point of your thread, Gubberment taxing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

More than half the cost goes to the government in taxes and levies. Never mind the VRT, motor tax, NCT costs, tolls, insurance levies we pay... Motorists really get it in the arse.

I can't help but think that by lowering fuel costs, the cost for businesses to do business will decrease, the cost of goods will decrease, and more commuters will have more money in their pocket to spend in these businesses. Too simplistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Joe 90

As the OP says it's bad, somewhere around two thirds of what you pay at the pump is duties and VAT. But it's actually a damn sight worse. A big chunk of the original fuel cost will be accounted for by duties, levies, charges, bribes which the oil company has to pay to be allowed to extract it from the ground in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

sandin wrote: »
    Have taken this from pumps.ie - shows where every cent of the 1.71 fuel cost is going

Litre of un refined oil – 52c
    Refining cost – 17c
    Irish Excise Taxes, Carbon taxes, Oil Reserves agency levy – 59c
    Distributor – 6c
    Retailer – 5 c
    Vat on all of above – 32c

Total 171

Refinery costs vary from about 12c in winter to 18c in summer as only a cerain amount of unleaded can be naturally taken from each barrel. In times of greater demand the balance is "manufactured", thus a higher refining cost.

The opposite happens in winter with diesel.

A very depressing read :mad::mad:

Fuel must be a right percentage of the governments income now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

This is madness, the price of everything is shooting up. What the hell is an oil reserve agency ? Any oil reserves Ireland have shell have the rights too, they can pay the poxy cost of managing them.

I went to work on Monday morning at 6am price was 169.9 , on the way home at 12am it was 170.1, today at 6am the price was 171.0.

How do the prices go that high in such little time yet the cost takes months to come down.

What pisses me off is the oil company's owners are literally pissing around with billions on football clubs and other absolute ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

A massive part of the governments spend is on building and maintaining infrastructure that by and large is for the use of private motorists.

It does seem only fair that part of that money be reclaimed.

Duty on petrol is one of the fairest taxes there is. You are charged in direct proportion to how much you use the roads.

It even works out that you pay more to travel a mile on a heavily congested inner city route than on a motorway thus penalising those who do not use public transport where it is available.

Duty on petrol is one of the fairest taxes there is. You are charged in direct proportion to how much you use the roads.

Except that's only true for the 'fixed duty'. The VAT is based on the price of petrol itself, which means that I'm also charged in direct proportion the price of oil.

Even if all duty and VAT rates remain the same, I will pay more to the government for driving the exact same distance next year than I will this year, even though I'm using the roads the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I would prefer to see a fairer system of taxing the fuel though, at present that VAT is added to the final calculation which includes tax / duties etc (ie the 59c figure). Were it not a 'tax on tax', ie VAT only on the other costs, the it would drop from 171 to about 157!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Surely the petrol retailers should show a breakdown of the cost on the bill. Then more people would realise just how high a proportion of their hard earned is taken by the government at the pumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Joe 90 wrote: »
    Surely the petrol retailers should show a breakdown of the cost on the bill. Then more people would realise just how high a proportion of their hard earned is taken by the government at the pumps.

Maybe roads should have signs up saying exactly how much is spent building and maintaining them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭GowlBag

Maybe roads should have signs up saying exactly how much is spent building and maintaining them.

I know how much is spent maintaining the roads I drive on. S.F.A!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

what is the carbon tax and leaves for Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

More than half the cost goes to the government in taxes and levies. Never mind the VRT, motor tax, NCT costs, tolls, insurance levies we pay... Motorists really get it in the arse.

I can't help but think that by lowering fuel costs, the cost for businesses to do business will decrease, the cost of goods will decrease, and more commuters will have more money in their pocket to spend in these businesses. Too simplistic?

So the government take in less tax from fuel, where do you want them to plug the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A massive part of the governments spend is on building and maintaining infrastructure that by and large is for the use of private motorists.

It does seem only fair that part of that money be reclaimed.

It even works out that you pay more to travel a mile on a heavily congested inner city route than on a motorway thus penalising those who do not use public transport where it is available.

Just a shame that and motor tax doesn't go on the roads, rather it goes into one big pot with all the other taxes and levys.

skydish79 wrote: »
    So the government take in less tax from fuel, where do you want them to plug the gap

From the existing income tax, VAT etc that would be applied to a more successful economy that's benefitting from cheaper fuel.
    IrishStew wrote:
    Just a shame that and motor tax doesn't go on the roads, rather it goes into one big pot with all the other taxes and levys.

Right, but my post was a response to the assertion that tax on fuel is the fairest way to tax motorists.

Advertisement