Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhoneWatch Dominial Engineer code?

Options
  • 25-03-2015 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi All,

Basically I got this alarm system installed last year without doing enough research :-(

Ideally i'd like to get the monitoring taken over by another company but understand this is not possible unfortunately.

Can i just monitor this myself by having the system call my mobile phone or is it completely useless without the company support?

If so, would somebody be kind enough to forward me details of how to obtain the engineer's code?
    It is the latest, "Dominial" wireless system.

Also, is this system the cause of concern on the Liveline show recently or is it for an older model?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the umpteenth post on the same subject.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you really should have done more research.
    At the moment no other company can monitor or even take over these systems. As for an engineer code, I wouldn't hold my breath. From my research I believe the codes are rolling . Unfortunately as it stands you are tied to PW for the lifetime of this system. My advice would be cut your losses & replace this with a global system from a reliable & trusted manufacturer who isn't going to tie you to any company or service.
    As for the issues revealed on Joe Duffy: Whether your panel is vulnerable to that type of attack would depend on a few things...
    Location of the panel
    Location of the dialler
    Do you have a live working bell?
    Delay on the entry zone etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Hi KoolKid

Many thanks for your reply.

Yeah, was afraid of that.
    Ah well, new system it is so. I'll start doing some ringing around for quotes.

Thanks again for the input

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your welcome. Get yourself a few quotes and do research into what you want from a system. Look at the long term costs considering you should have this system for 15 years or more. So don't get caught again tied to contracts where you you can only use the one system or services. Perhaps put together a list of what you would like etc and we can advise you further.

I have a few things i want to include in any package, but am open to any suggestions anybody may have.

Do i need sensors on all downstairs windows? (We have 5 windows and 2 doors but have 2 fly windows on one of the door units? Standard 4 bed semi-D) Or is a PIR type thing enough in those rooms?
    Would i need any PIRs if i had sensors on all windows/doors?
    Ideally i'd like some sort of camera system so the monitoring station could tell exactly what is happening.
    I presume the panel should be positioned somewhere other than inside the front door? And that it should be on an entry timer as short as possible? (ie NOT the way it is at the moment!)
    I need a gsm dialler with a blocking attempt sensor/alarm or landline dialler combo.
    I need different zones (at least 2)
    I need good monitoring service that can be swapped to another company if i want.

Any other ideas to add/remove?

Many, many thanks for your help again, i really appreciate it.

Any company (except PW) could easily accommodate all those needs. I for one am totally against any monitoring station having access to internal cameras. But most IP systems will allow cameras where you have access to them.
    As I said, shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi All,

Basically I got this alarm system installed last year without doing enough research :-(

Ideally i'd like to get the monitoring taken over by another company but understand this is not possible unfortunately.

Can i just monitor this myself by having the system call my mobile phone or is it completely useless without the company support?

If so, would somebody be kind enough to forward me details of how to obtain the engineer's code?
    It is the latest, "Dominial" wireless system.

Also, is this system the cause of concern on the Liveline show recently or is it for an older model?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the umpteenth post on the same subject.

These systems are well locked out.
    The Dominial is not the same as the system which was on Joe Duffy in that the keypad is in the hall and the brains is located in a different location.

I have a few things i want to include in any package, but am open to any suggestions anybody may have.

Do i need sensors on all downstairs windows? (We have 5 windows and 2 doors but have 2 fly windows on one of the door units? Standard 4 bed semi-D) Or is a PIR type thing enough in those rooms?
    Would i need any PIRs if i had sensors on all windows/doors?
    Ideally i'd like some sort of camera system so the monitoring station could tell exactly what is happening.
    I presume the panel should be positioned somewhere other than inside the front door? And that it should be on an entry timer as short as possible? (ie NOT the way it is at the moment!)
    I need a gsm dialler with a blocking attempt sensor/alarm or landline dialler combo.
    I need different zones (at least 2)
    I need good monitoring service that can be swapped to another company if i want.

Any other ideas to add/remove?

Many, many thanks for your help again, i really appreciate it.

All accessible windows should be covered in a system design proposal, PIRs are used as a back up to any system. They are also used to verify an intruder is inside your premises. Internal cams can also do this. Weather an monitoring station can view a cam is debatable, in my opinion they cant unless it is in an alarm condition from what I have being told. Others will scaremonger you into thinking differently. Most systems can also be located away from the entry/exit point and a wire free keypad installed. 2 paths to communicate will also be better than one, most can use your landline/GSM/GPRS to back each other up. Setting up areas on a system is also easily done if this is required. Most systems used today can be easily taken over. My easiest solution for this is having the engineer code. Even as an end user this code can solve and help in a lot of issues.

Once again KoolKid, thanks very much.

@Altor Thank you :)
    This is pretty much exactly the sort of stuff i was looking for and also exactly what i should have taken the time to find out a year ago.
    Really appreciate your time, thanks again.

Once again KoolKid, thanks very much.

@Altor Thank you :)
    This is pretty much exactly the sort of stuff i was looking for and also exactly what i should have taken the time to find out a year ago.
    Really appreciate your time, thanks again.

No problem, if you have any other questions let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

OP you were like a lot of other PW clients, their marketing is wonderful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement