Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC APP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

I would say is more so to cover the cost of maintaining Securecom.
    Its not free just because you have an IP connection.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is with Risco which is also a cloud service.
    Sounds to me like they are more interested in a recurring revenue stream that there is really no need for.
    I've been using apps & IP access since its been available & I really don't see the need to pay for a comms path over IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

From what I can gather speaking to Steven if you want to use the app with a gsm you will need a securecom gsm and its going to cost 60 euro per annum rental to hkc for the world sim etc.

I think the installer will have to somehow collect the rental for the world sim from the customers and pay hkc by monthly direct debit for each to keep them active. That sounds like hassle but we will see I suppose. Compare this to the gsm-q which would cost about 20 euro per annum to keep topped up with a prepaid sim and this is left up to the customer to sort out in the case of self monitoring.

The securecom gsm itself is going to be 100 euro plus vat which is cheaper than gsm-q.

Anyways will find out more next tuesday in Ballymount.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It does seem very over complicated for no other reason that create a revenue stream.
    The simple solution would be panel connects to broadband and uses that connection for push notifications and or email alerts. The same connection handles the controls from the app. What else is needed? Simple effective and cost free for the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Hi just see hkc app on iPhone have system installed 18 months ago .... Have no landline only mobile broadband -I see you must register to use it ..... Does anyone know about it ? Does it need add on to panel ? Or phone line ? Have text dialler fitted ... Would be handy if an inexpensive addition thks

• Advertisement

Hi just see hkc app on iPhone have system installed 18 months ago .... Have no landline only mobile broadband -I see you must register to use it ..... Does anyone know about it ? Does it need add on to panel ? Or phone line ? Have text dialler fitted ... Would be handy if an inexpensive addition thks

Oops I think a
    I didn't create a new thread although I thought I selected new post ... Please move if incorrectly posted mod thks

Would be handy if an inexpensive addition thks

Unfortunately that's not the case with this panel.
    You Must register and pay an annual subscription to use the app. Most other systems allow you this facility for free.
    In the long run upgrading to a brand like Risco GSD or Siemens would be cheaper.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not the case with this panel.
    You Must register and pay an annual subscription to use the app. Most other systems allow you this facility for free.
    In the long run upgrading to a brand like Risco GSD or Siemens would be cheaper.

Thks for quick reply only got it 18 months ago it's grand so just into gadgets .. Was thinking of getting it if cheap ... Thks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thks for quick reply only got it 18 months ago it's grand so just into gadgets .. Was thinking of getting it if cheap ... Thks again

You'll need either a Lan card, wifi card or a gsmsc to connect to HKC's server. There a charge for the service

I install HKC, Risco and Siemens systems and HKC's app is by far the best out there at the moment.

Considering that you have a hkc system already in place then it would be the cheaper option to go with them but you will have the monthly fee.

You'll need either a Lan card, wifi card or a gsmsc to connect to HKC's server. There a charge for the service

I install HKC, Risco and Siemens systems and HKC's app is by far the best out there at the moment.

Considering that you have a hkc system already in place then it would be the cheaper option to go with them but you will have the monthly fee.
    What's the fee ta

• Advertisement

60 euro per annum direct debit for text messages and app if you get the gsm-sc plug on module.
    You will also have to pay 8 euro for each smartphone you install the app on.
    You will also need a software upgrade for you main control panel if you have a panel that old.

60 euro per annum direct debit for text messages and app if you get the gsm-sc plug on module.
    You will also have to pay 8 euro for each smartphone you install the app on.
    You will also need a software upgrade for you main control panel if you have a panel that old.

Panel only 18 months old - I would be interested in getting that done ... Is a mobile broadband connection - wifi required - no landline. A basic text dialler is connected on for events - text three numbers on event occurring ... Is this do able yourself with engineering code and some basic knowledge of hkc thks

Hang on do you have the hkc 1070 (plastic main control panel) or the hkc 8/12 (metal main control panel)? if you have the 8/12 then you need to get a new control panel/keypad to get the hkc app.
    Even if you have the 1070 panel you will require a software upgrade.
    The best vehicle for the app is the gsm-sc which can send texts as well as push notification. For a bit more money it can do voice phone-calls as well to whatever numbers you like.
    The potential drawback is gsm jamming or loss of mobile signal but at least if that happens you will be notified by push notification from Securcomm that the system has lost contact.

Is there not an IP path as well as the GSM in the event of jamming?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Theres a Wifi card and the gsm sc card.. both should alert you to a comms loss/jam

Is there not an IP path as well as the GSM in the event of jamming?
    he he go on or that

Isn't there a Lan card and a WiFi card?
    If they are both using IP wouldn't they still communicate with the cloud if the GSM was jammed?

Don't know TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

I would consider IP more reliable.
    No way! A broadband connection more reliable to a gsm? Always better to have a fallback. I definitely wouldn't be happy with that sort of redundancy on my HKC.

I have seen phone lines cut and I have seen GSM jammers used. I'm not saying anything is 100 %secure but I have not yet seen a burglar attack an Internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

I see your point about the jammer, given that they can be purchased for 20 euro on the internet.
    GSM is definitely not reliable. I don't see it as "a step backwards as an IP connection" though. I'll explain why below.
    To bring down the gsm they either need to have a jammer with them, or get into the alarm box and reef the card out (by that time the alarm has definitely faulted (tamper and entry delay etc). So it covers in the eventuality of the opportunistic robber, who forgot his jammer that day.

My point earlier regarding IP/Wifi was that all they have to do is cut the mains to bring down your broadband/internet.
    I wouldn't consider IP more reliable at all for that reason. It can be plugged out very easily.

The best solution at the moment is a combination of devices and products. Don't discount any of them as they all have pros and cons. Nothing is "reliable". And I don't think you can put a paritial percentage on the reliability of any of the methods. Put in whatever you can gsm, wifi and visual deterrents, like good security locks on all of the doors, a nice big bright light , CCTV. A big mutt barking behind the door.The more the merrier. The more you put in, the longer it takes for them to get in. Make your property too much work, when your neighbour has left their window open and hasn't bothered with any security measures at all.
    They'll just knock in there instead.

What I like about HKC is that if communication is lost then I know about it as they send out "polling" signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

OK I have read through this post and since I'm a spendthrift type of person I would like to know best option for the HKC with WIFI only. I have HKC 1070 I think.

At present I use the OWL system to monitor my electricity usage. The OWL hardware cost me 70 euros and it uses WIFI to send usage to an OWL server and I can see all my usage. There is no cost for this service and it's pretty amazing.

Recently I installed a Climote system using a SIM card and to be honest I don't even like paying them 36 euro annual charge for the SIM card.

My question:
    Can I install the HKC wifi card and use my broadband to communicate. I don't really care about redundancy or failovers. At present I don't have any way to communicate with my Alarm system so just using a WIFI card would be fine.

What are the cost of just using WIFI only (I don't want a SIM card)?

Regards
    EoC

Cost is €60 a year and you can use both the WiFi and gsm for that price. It covers all three.

EoC wrote: »

My question:
    Can I install the HKC wifi card and use my broadband to communicate. I don't really care about redundancy or failovers. At present I don't have any way to communicate with my Alarm system so just using a WIFI card would be fine.

No.
    For some reason HKC will not allow a direct connection to the panel via IP, even though there is a Lan card and a WiFi card available.
    I find Siemens the best option for this feature. You can connect via a browser through Spc connect.com if the data connection is not available from your phone. You can also connect directly to your panel via your ip address the same as you would to a CCTV system etc.
    Risco and GSD also provide free apps and cloud services.

No.
    For some reason HKC will not allow a direct connection to the panel via IP, even though there is a Lan card and a WiFi card available.
    I find Siemens the best option for this feature. You can connect via a browser through Spc connect.com if the data connection is not available from your phone. You can also connect directly to your panel via your ip address the same as you would to a CCTV system etc.
    Risco and GSD also provide free apps and cloud services.

Of course the OP can use the WiFi card or LAN card to connect to his panel.. What makes you think otherwise ????

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

I would also vote for the Siemens SPC, Risco or GSD control panels, no app charges. The GSD panel will also let you view live CCTV with one of there cameras using the same app for the alarm system which is a big plus in my book

EoC wrote: »
    My question:

Regards
    EoC

Yes you can use a Wifi card to monitor your alarm using Securecomm.
    The down side to just using this one path is if the router is off then you have no communications.

I would also vote for the Siemens SPC

Are Siemens doing there own alarm installs now?

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Of course the OP can use the WiFi card or LAN card to connect to his panel.. What makes you think otherwise ????

Apologies. I didn't know there was a change. Can you now use the IP lan card or WiFi card to connect to the panel via IP ? So is there is no longer a need to subscribe to use a SIM card and connect via GPRS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

altor wrote: »
    Are Siemens doing there own alarm installs now?

Not that I have ever heard of . They would be a very large Manafacture worldwide.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement