Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Montpellier win the league for the 1st time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dreamers75 wrote: »
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20052012/58/ligue-1-montpellier-win-title-chaotic-finish.html

:eek:

Kinda want to know what Remi Gaillard will do to celebrate :p

A lot of pundits actually did predict Montpellier to be relegated this season. I've watched a fair bit of French football this season and i'm delighted to see them win the league.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pfft, I won about 6 league titles and 4 Champions Leagues with them in Football Manager. :D

Always good to see a new team winning a title, although I doubt that PSG's new owners will be too happy at not winning the league after the amount of money they've spent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

That's a surprise!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Louis Nicollin became the Chairman in the mid-70s when Montpellier had dropped as far as the CFA and had amateur status. He eventually bought the whole club a few years later and and he is still there today as the sole shareholder. So congratulations to him!

Anyone but Bayern PSG :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Delighted for them. Everyone should be happy that there are at least a few places where relative paupers can win titles with the right approach. Five different champions in five years and ten points separating the bottom club from the top half.

PSG can go die in a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

At least Mvilla if he comes to Arsenal won't be moaning about winning trophies seen as he just done it already lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

At least Mvilla if he comes to Arsenal won't be moaning about winning trophies seen as he just done it already lol
    pretty sure that'll just make him more likely to moan tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yann M'Vila plays for Rennes who haven't won squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I've liked them ever since Valderrama played for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

nice to see ex-portsmouth player John Utaka doing well for himself.

He scored two goals in the final game of the season against Auxerre to come back from 1-0 down and win the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

and ten points separating the bottom club from the top half.

14 points .

Either way, stats can serve any purpose. Bolton were closer to the CL places (33points) than Caen (36).Onlf for Wolves and Blackburn being so bad this season the gap between half way and relegation would have been less than France. Bolton were only 11 point soff a top half finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ah crap my bad im getn him mixed up with belhanda is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Nice to see them win it. Very refreshing. On the flip side, the relegation battle was mental. Before the days play, 8 teams were in danger of going down. Absolutely mental.

Ah crap my bad im getn him mixed up with belhanda is it

No prizes for guess what his nickname will be the first time he mouths off in an interview in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I'm living in Montpellier at the moment and theres a great atmosphere here! Thousands of people watched the match last night (and last Sunday too) on a giant screen in the city centre! You can tell how much it means to them to win it

xphoto_1337566042507-5-0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BpG4T5mLVV.jpg

Going up later to watch the team with the trophy! People already waiting up there to get a good spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

I watched their game against Auxerre this morning and you feared the worst when they went 1-0 down. Plus the second half of the game took forever to get played after 2 long delays caused by the Auxerre fans behind the Montpellier goal.

Nice to see a good story like this with Montpellier not just beating money bags PSG to the title but winning their first ever league championship in club history. What a great moment for their club and no doubt long suffering fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

So refreshing to see a club like this win a league title. I am also so happy PSG did not win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why do people dislike PSG so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

CSF wrote: »

Same reason they didn't like Chelsea and now City. Came into a windfall of money via a sugardaddy...

It is not so much that I dislike them, just glad that another title was not won by a team bought by billionaires. Just good for football i reckon in this age of mega rich clubs and obscene wages.

• Advertisement

PSG were always a huge club though. It is a bit different.

PSG were always a huge club though. It is a bit different.

Not too sure of their history, but I think they are a relatively new team compared to others in France. How many times have they won the League? It has been a while i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah, they've only won the league twice, last was in the mid-nineties I think. They were formed as a merger in the 60's/70's so not that old and certainly not a 'huge' club other than being the capital team

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Not too sure of their history, but I think they are a relatively new team compared to others in France. How many times have they won the League? It has been a while i reckon.

Jesus, didn't realise their trophy cabinet was so bad. Have always viewed PSG and Marseilles as the big clubs of France.

I hated PSG long before they were rich
    /hipster

For a city the size of Cork, Montpellier is punching well above its weight in football, handball, rugby...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Jesus, didn't realise their trophy cabinet was so bad. Have always viewed PSG and Marseilles as the big clubs of France.

That's the reason they were formed, to try and get some competition going for the traditionally big clubs in France (Marseille, St Etienne,...)

Most people who follow football in Paris itself support Marseille btw.

Anyway, Montpellier's most famous fan didn't take long ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I'm not certain on this, but this might have to do more so with geographical location, rather than them being rivals at the top of the league every year, as Marseille is the biggest city in the south of France.

It's pretty much that. OM fans love to get one over on PSG not because they're a big club but that they represent the capital. Marseille are the only big club of long standing, really. It's a long time since St. Etienne were challenging and Lyon are Johnny-come-latelies to the top of the table. PSG are a new club who have rarely won anything but have produced a few cracking players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

In Denmark the same happened.

FC Nordsjælland, a small team just north of Copenhagen with a ground of about 10.000 just won the league.

One of the goals scored by Andreas Laudrup, son of Michael.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Great to see a club like Montpellier win the league. On the other hand sorry to see Auxerre get relegated.
    One of the real success stories was of their striker Olivier Giroud. By the looks of it he only appeared at the top level (Ligue1/Europe) just before he turned 24. Indeed looking at the wiki page he made his european debut before his Ligue1 debut.
    Similar to Drogba in that they were both late bloomers.

Advertisement