Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's day parade Blanch.

Options
  • 15-03-2015 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭

I hope we get a good turn out for this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Does anyone know what the story is with buses? I assume the 38 will be using the n3 after corduff?

Going to try bring the kids down. So wondering what the best vantage point would be.. They're all under 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What's the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

January wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with buses? I assume the 38 will be using the n3 after corduff?

Going to try bring the kids down. So wondering what the best vantage point would be.. They're all under 6.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Celbridge-St-Patricks-Festival-Diversions2/

What time does it start at?

http://www.fingal.ie/news-and-events/stpatricksdayparade2015/

BLANCHARDSTOWN - 2.30pm. Route - Castleknock Road, Main Street, Snugborough Road and into Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

Thinking maybe Snugborough Road would be the best bet for a look see? I'm taking it they're going down past to SW office so the extension rd rather than the main Snugborough Rd?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I did not even know this was happening..... thanks op for letting me know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Thinking maybe Snugborough Road would be the best bet for a look see? I'm taking it they're going down past to SW office so the extension rd rather than the main Snugborough Rd?

A map would be handy but yeah, I guess they take a left at the garda station rather than a right towards the NSC.

Yep, there's no map that I can see anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I heard that the viewing stand will be outside Draiocht. They might go straight after the Garda Station though going left up Snugborough Road Extension to the roundabout at Next would cause less traffic disruption within the Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As a member of a group asked to participate, the organisation has been poor, and that's putting it kindly. I really hope they pull it off but it will be miraculous if they do. Think the guy organising it bit off more than he can chew.

• Advertisement

Just saw on Paul Donnelly's FB page... he's asking people to congregate at the Bell and march to the centre?! Thought it was a fecking parade not a march for anybody to join in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Just saw on Paul Donnelly's FB page... he's asking people to congregate at the Bell and march to the centre?! Thought it was a fecking parade not a march for anybody to join in..

I think the parade assembles at the bell and parade's to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

10942590_830578810331163_1695580037508957882_n.png?oh=2a84abd269a8b5eade9279f16bef232c&oe=55801981&__gda__=1433929227_1e96df093fee0005332550e517a5688f

There's the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nitpick man

so where is the parade starting.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

so where is the parade starting.?
    Near The Bell pub. See the route map.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Great atmosphere down the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Erm, unless I missed something it wasn't a parade really. We heard some sirens and music, looked out the office window and there was a few vehicles lined up turning left onto the Snugborough Road at the crossroad where the garage is.

*EDIT* Ok never mind, it's going past now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Poor enough really, lots of scouts, kids clubs etc. Long gaps between some of the participants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

wawaman wrote: »
    Poor enough really, lots of scouts, kids clubs etc. Long gaps between some of the participants

In fairness it's a small local parade. What would you expect? The idea is to give the kids involved the excitement of marching in a parade, to give their families some fun photo opps and memories, and to give younger kids the whole experience of attending a St Patricks Day parade, but without the parents having to face the crowds in the city centre.

I didn't go myself, but if I had, I wouldn't have been expecting to be impressed - just to enjoy the experience and to cheer on the kids taking part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

We enjoyed it.. Good turn out, good community sprit who got involved. Hope they have another one next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

twas a good. not as spectacular as the Dublin parade but a lot less bother and still enjoyable hope it happens every year now....

16660341619_ff539f0e13.jpgscary dragon by BarryKelly, on Flickr
    16821135916_ccb96534b0.jpghappy man by BarryKelly, on Flickr
    16659417358_5493035908.jpgrobo glo by BarryKelly, on Flickr
    16821279586_4f47a6f6fc.jpgbrollies by BarryKelly, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Took my youngest up to it and we had a great time. The only parades I have ever seen are the Lord Mayor's Show in London on several occasions and the Dublin St Patrick's parade a few times, so wasn't expecting anything like that but actually really enjoyed it together. We recognised quite a few people amongst the different represented groups which made it feel more "local". Best bits for us were the Indian Family Association and the Igbo Association, though the vikings did a good job too. Well done everyone involved and (dare I say) especially Fingal Co Co for making it happen. I too hope it becomes a regular thing.

There is a series of pictures up here
    https://www.facebook.com/Blakestowncrc

It is the 1st year of the parade it was great to see the number of local groups and clubs involved.
    hopefully it will grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I went to both the main Dublin parade and the blanch one and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with how good the Blanchardstown one was. At least it was enjoyable for young kids where as the city centre parade was mostly for tourists and kids needed to be there hours in advance to get a good view as no provision is made for kids.

The Blanch parade could have been better organised but it was a good start. Even where I was not far from the start the groups were quite spread out.

Things that need improving are that even where I was not far from the start the groups were quite spread out. There was no organised stopping so groups like the Irish Dancers and martial Arts could perform and there seemed to be too many stragglers like parents just walking along behind some groups. It would have been good if the scout type groups had been dispersed a bit more through the floats.
    On a positive note the sound and colour provided by the immigrant groups, in particular the Nigerian and Indian group was fantastic. The civil defence stuff was good as were the Viking group.
    Everyone at the blanch parade seemed to enjoy it whereas at the city centre parade there were loads of disappointed people and people leaving early as they couldn’t see due to the tall adults with novelty hats at the front. Hopefully this local parade will grow as the crowds at the main parade are now so big most families I know dread having to go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

glossy wrote: »
    We enjoyed it.. Good turn out, good community sprit who got involved. Hope they have another one next year.

+1

I think it was a great first attempt, well done to all those who took part and to the local community for coming out to support the effort. Given this was the first year, it can only improve in subsequent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I thought the parade was great. My son marched in it and he had a lot of fun. I saw quite a few people I know in the parade which was lovely. It exceeded our expectations.
    I hope becomes an annual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 suzanneantonia

More pictures on the Phoenix FM facebook page! :) I personally thought it was very well organized, really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Who were the Vikings, some historic reenactment society? They were very authentic looking.

• Advertisement

The fingla living history group,

http://flhs.ie/

Advertisement