Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car overheating

Options
  • 20-01-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I have 01 Nissan Primera, it Started with no heat coming from my heater, then it started to over heat, got the Water pump checked and head gasket and thermostat all ok, flushed out the Radiator, still not solution, any ideas:(:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A blockage/failure in the heater core (usually behind the dash) could cause this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paudge52

would this cause the car to overheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, since you already had work on car done it's not low coolant.
    Sometimes a back flush can fix this (you do a flush but the opposite direction to normal flow). This will sometimes dislodge what could be lying around blocking.

Did you do the flush yourself? Is there any Radweld or similar in there?

ok.
    so that the two hoses going into the heater core from under the bonnet, is that right thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

paudge52 wrote: »

Some cooling systems are designed in such a way that a clogged heater core can cause overheating, yes.

• Advertisement

ok thank you i will try this out.cheers

paudge52 wrote: »
    Yes and no. If the core is blocked it may cause the whole circulation to slow down.
    Does car overheat with heating in cabin turned all the way down and off?

there is no heat coming into the cabin, just blowing cold air and the when i drive down the road the car will overheat

Yes, but if you turn heating off you essentially bypass the core. Maybe this will allow the coolant to circulate better.

Just something to try to narrow down the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Are you filling the coolant/water at the radiator or the overflow bottle?
    I saw a similar failure on a Nissan before, if its very low on water then you will have to fill it using the cap at the top of the radiator rather than the overflow bottle. I think the system may get air locked when water is low and water wont flow from the overflow bottle.

Take the rad cap off, top up the water till it overflows and run the engine until all the bubbles stop, keep topping up the water as the level drops. Careful that it doesn't get too hot or water will shoot out the cap when the thermostat opens! but that will take about 5 mins at least from cold with and idling engine.

In a car that old it doesn't matter what type of water you use "in my opinion". Some will insist you use distilled water and "exactly" 50% coolant mix but it really doesn't matter! Water will cool and engine just as well as 50/50 coolant mix. It wont be much good in the frost or long term corrosion inhibitor. You most likely have a leak anyway so plain water is probably best until you find it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement