Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me all about Midleton, Please!

Options
  • 27-02-2014 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

We are relocating to Midleton and as neither of us are from the area I'm looking for as much information as possible on pretty much everything, schools, doctors, nice area to rent, tips on settling in etc

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

Not much to tell maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There are 3 secondary schools and 3 primary schools (one is an Irish school) in Midleton. Plenty of doctors situated all over the town. Broomfield is a popular enough place to be, as is Mill Road. Find a decent place to park, as the town centre has become a joke with removing of parking spaces with stupid new paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Great Saturday morning market.

That's all I know about Midleton. I pass through once a month on a Saturday morning and buy cheeses etc.

Probably not helpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Corholio wrote: »
    Find a decent place to park, as the town centre has become a joke with removing of parking spaces with stupid new paths.

Indeed. How they voted that through is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Supermarkets: Lidl and Aldi are both in the same place, you have Tesco in Market Green and Supervalu. Tons of parking at all of these.

There's a train link to Cork City, very handy and if you can get tax saver monthly or annual tickets it's very reasonable. There's also a bus service.

Midleton seems to have a huge number of pharmacies for some reason. Seems odd to me but I guess it's a plus.

It'is small enough, you can walk around easily.

Plenty of nice pubs (big fan of the Mad Monk) and some very nice restaurants (Sage).

Perhaps you could be more specific in your query and you might get more responses.

• Advertisement

Suicide capital of the country. Strange but true.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

rovoagho wrote: »
    Suicide capital of the country. Strange but true.

Source??????????????

Google the two words.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Midleton is a good lively town. South Doc is located there (useful in emergencies , sort of :rolleyes:)
    Cinema, pubs, retaurants, train station, hotel, gyms, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, clothes shops, banks, 20 mins to Cork city, on the N25 so handy for Dungarvan, Waterford, Rosslare. Close to beaches, Trabolgan holday park. As said above, great market on a Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do you want to live in Midleton or outside it ? You could be down in whitegate or rostellan and still be less than 10 mins from Midleton ! Think beaches, walks, great views without being way out in the sticks...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Moved down with wife and kids last year. Had no ties to the area but it just kinda felt right and we have no regrets. We live in ballinacurra, 2 minutes from midleton and kids are in saleen school 5 minutes out the road. Nice family friendly give around. Only thing was that 4 bed houses to rent are hard to come by so it took us a few months to find a spot. If you want to know anything specific let me know.

Best of luck with the move anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Gaa club , etc

tipping wrote: »
    Moved down with wife and kids last year. Had no ties to the area but it just kinda felt right and we have no regrets. We live in ballinacurra, 2 minutes from midleton and kids are in saleen school 5 minutes out the road. Nice family friendly give around. Only thing was that 4 bed houses to rent are hard to come by so it took us a few months to find a spot. If you want to know anything specific let me know.

Best of luck with the move anyway

Thanks for replying - how are you finding it not being from the area?
    We are in a toss up between Youghal and Midleton. I think Midleton as a town for us wins hands down, between schools etc it ticks all the boxes but we know no one there at all. Youghal while its not a great town has familiarity.

Thanks for replying - how are you finding it not being from the area?
    We are in a toss up between Youghal and Midleton. I think Midleton as a town for us wins hands down, between schools etc it ticks all the boxes but we know no one there at all. Youghal while its not a great town has familiarity.

We have no problems at all with not being from around here. Most of the people around where we live are non-natives it would seem and all have been very welcoming. In fact I don't know if we know any locals!! The kids are out playing with the neighbours every day and in and out of each others houses. That said the estate in which we live has loads of small kids around and it was pretty easy to get to know everyone.

Other than that have joined local clubs, gotten involved with the school, lots of play dates, birthday parties etc which helps with the social side of things.

We had no preference for location in Cork as all was unknown to us but in terms of a town within commutable distance of the city for work Midleton won hands down for us. We just came here on a few weekends and liked the vibe of the place. The only gripe I have with it is the lack of a public swimming pool which is bit of a pain and we usually end up heading to Youghal.

If you want to know anything else just ask and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

We have no problems at all with not being from around here. Most of the people around where we live are non-natives it would seem and all have been very welcoming. In fact I don't know if we know any locals!! The kids are out playing with the neighbours every day and in and out of each others houses. That said the estate in which we live has loads of small kids around and it was pretty easy to get to know everyone.

Other than that have joined local clubs, gotten involved with the school, lots of play dates, birthday parties etc which helps with the social side of things.

We had no preference for location in Cork as all was unknown to us but in terms of a town within commutable distance of the city for work Midleton won hands down for us. We just came here on a few weekends and liked the vibe of the place. The only gripe I have with it is the lack of a public swimming pool which is bit of a pain and we usually end up heading to Youghal.

If you want to know anything else just ask and best of luck with it.

You could also head down to Trabolgan for the pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Curragh Woods 2.5 km from Midleton

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Love that place , at the end of April walk right up to the top of it, the blanket of bluebells & the sweet smell in the air from them is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

Ballinacurra is a lovely place I lived there for a year.

Just giving this a little bump to see if theres any fresh info out there? We have made the move to East Cork but unfortunately our location is just not working out as well as we had hoped, so the move to Midleton is happening now under a pretty tight timeline. With 1 child in her ECCE year already we need to find a suitable preschool that can accommodate a transfer and a primary school that will facilitate a late application. Any help, guidance or advice is much appreciated.

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends on where abouts in Midleton you'll be living before suggesting preschool/school.
    We had no bother getting a place for our guy (had a choice of 3 schools) when we moved and we started a good bit later than this. We may have just been lucky though. If you have any specific questions just drop me a pm and again best of luck with the move.

I suppose it depends on where abouts in Midleton you'll be living before suggesting preschool/school.
    We had no bother getting a place for our guy (had a choice of 3 schools) when we moved and we started a good bit later than this. We may have just been lucky though. If you have any specific questions just drop me a pm and again best of luck with the move.

Thanks I'll pm you if you don't mind!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

Have you considered Cobh at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm in aghada, (10mins south of Midleton on the harbour) not sure how much property is available to rent my way but should be ok on the school and nursery front, (3 primary schools within 3 miles) my small fella's in small class so there's room in some schools prob varies year to year , ) if it's like that in our spot, it's probably similar in villages around Midleton . Think houses to rent are scarce enough in Midleton itself.. Cobhs a fair way from Midleton ( 20 mins ish )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Midleton seems to be very much a growing area, as well as a nice place to live. For some reason I know a lot of people from there and they're all particularly lovely, so if that's anything to go by, it's full of very nice people!
    There is a new secondary school mooted for the general locale (Carrigtwohill side) also. I'd say you're making a good choice rightoldpickle. Best wishes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Midleton seems to be very much a growing area, as well as a nice place to live. For some reason I know a lot of people from there and they're all particularly lovely, so if that's anything to go by, it's full of very nice people!
    There is a new secondary school mooted for the general locale (Carrigtwohill side) also. I'd say you're making a good choice rightoldpickle. Best wishes with it.

Do you mean for the castle lands site? If you do I believe thats for the Irish school

Advertisement