Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Our league form fell to pieces in Lucas' absence during the 2011 / 12 season, I don't think anyone would deny that? He's been on the comeback trail consistently since December 2011. He now has a full preseason under his belt following consistent on pitch time during the second half of last season. He's well positioned to rediscover his 2011 form. Let's all hope he does too, because we'll need him at that level...

So we are agreed - a back-to-form Lucas with Stevie and Phil is not a midfield that is missing much.

There is still time for a CB. Either Sakho or Papa. But either Coates or Skrtel HAS to go for that to happen.

The Anzhi situation may help us with Willian, but may hurt us on Skrtel, some good defenders suddenly on the Russian market...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

So there's been some kind of apology then.

Well Rodgers said he would have to, so you would presume he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

According to ssn he HAS appologised!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dickerty wrote: »
    So we are agreed - a back-to-form Lucas with Stevie and Phil is not a midfield that is missing much.

There is still time for a CB. Either Sakho or Papa. But either Coates or Skrtel HAS to go for that to happen.

The Anzhi situation may help us with Willian, but may hurt us on Skrtel, some good defenders suddenly on the Russian market...

Gerrard won't manage more than 25 league starts this season imo. Last season was an outlier in terms of his fitness. We always knew we needed backup for Lucas. Spearing was the nominal backup for that role in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I had a detailed post about Henderson a while back saying how I no longer feel Rodgers will rely on him as a CM, or DM, for the first team. If he plays he will be put as the CAM of LW as we have seen since last January.

Has a lot of developing to do before he can be relied upon as a CM in my eyes. Thankfully, he seems to show the the right attitude an certainly came on last year, although like I said, that was in the more advance positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

This apology thread has me well stoked! Did he or din't he? The suspense has me on tenter hooks. Has SSN got an apology countdown clock?

Gerrard won't manage more than 25 league starts this season imo. Last season was an outlier in terms of his fitness. We always knew we needed backup for Lucas. Spearing was the nominal backup for that role in the side.

I don't see why Gerrard would play so few games, no European fixtures to worry about. Very few weeks with 2 games, I think he'll miss no more than a dozen all in.

Speariong wasn't even with us last year, Allen did it. But I thought we were talking about upgrades to the first team. If Lucas misses a long spell, we will have to play a lesser player in his absence. But the same can be said for almost all our regular starters...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

To be honest , at this point I couldn't care if he's apologised.

Just get the team together. If the lads have an issue with him they'll sort it out.

It would be pretty stupid to have our biggest goal treat training on his own the day before the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fine, I just think things are crystallising. We know who's going at this stage and the broad scenarios where we sign four or five players are disappearing. We're going to be short of what we needed at the outset of the summer, that is becoming more clear. I think we need to start facing up to the fact that the window is going to fall short of what we needed - and the only thing left to be discovered is the degree to which that is the case.

The window may well fall short of what many of us hoped it would be, and a number of obvious needs (at least in the minds of us supporters anyway) may still be there once the window shuts.

But two signings could change a lot of moods, and whilst it is looking more and more unlikely as each day passes, it is not a foregone conclusion just yet.

Right now I am in my excited the season is about the start mode, and thios post will be my last one today methinks as I have to head for Cork very soon to catch this evening's flight home. My mind is now on meeting some of the EST1982 crew, going for a meal tonight, getting up in the morning to have a run along the Dock road and around Chavasse Park, and then it is match going time.

The match itself will be a mix of excitement and also of looking at the time to see if there are any early indicators of our summer buys to date looking good in a competitive fixture.

Come Saturday evening I might be logging back on here saying I hope we sign some much needed quality, or I might be doing that when I get back to Ireland on Sunday, but I do think with less than 24 hours to go to kick off that people should let the upcoming game be a temporary distraction to any perceived failings to date in the transfer window.

But it is up to folks posting to decide what way the forum chat goes, but a day of post match optimism/pessimism/realism would be a welcome change for many I imagine.

Either way have a great day, I hope everyone here enjoys the game however they chose to follow it and that we get plenty from it to chat about over the coming days along with some concrete and much needed transfer news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

shamrock55 wrote: »

SSN are nearly worse than twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Pints are back on :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

"I didnt apologise" - Suarez

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

5starpool wrote: »
    A couple of years back I was really bored and put together a list of all the posters number of posts from all the LFC superthreads I could find. It would be insanity to try and update it though, but it did show an interesting rise/fall in certain posters, with not a huge amount of constant posters over the years.

Did I mention I was incredibly bored? I did a couple of versions months apart, I'll see if I can find the last one I did, but it covered all LFC superthreads up to that point which covered the years 2007-2011 or so I think.

Flah (Ando's Saggy Bottom), Boggles and Muppet. What a trio.
    Nuri Sahin; 5Live; Dickerty; Mike65 or others who seem to be happy with where we are going, do ye all disagree with this? It looks spot on to me. We need more ingenuity up front, but at the outset of this window we all knew a quality addition to CB and CM was needed. Are people really going to claim a successful window if neither materialises?

Derp. If there was ever proof you don't read my posts whatsoever, it's the above.

I've lost count at the amount of times I've said we need a new CB and cover for Lucas. The latter I've been saying for years now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is this thread the busiest football thread on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8873198/transfer-news-luis-suarez-back-in-the-liverpool-first-team-fold-after-apologising
    Forward Luis Suarez trained with Liverpool's first-team squad on Friday according to Sky Sports sources, after apologising to his team mates for his conduct this summer.
    It seems legit to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Liverpool could REALLY do with another CM. I think Lucas is a nailed on starter, but the player alongside him (If we think of a 2-1) is where there should be variation.

Allen for the games where you will dominate.

A new player primarily in the defensive/physical mould, a la Diame or AN Other, for the games where you would otherwise be physically under the cosh in midfield. Also proper backup for Lucas. Allen could do this, but I wouldn't want him there if there's going to be a physical battle. Maybe against Swansea.

Gerrard for everything else, which should be quite a lot of the time.

Rodgers must not be afraid to drop Gerrard or move him to the CAM position, if Allen or the proposed new CM's skillsets would be more useful for the team on specific occasions, which they would.

Having said all of that, the CM are both behind the attacking player/CB which are, imo, the paramount requirements. CM should not be brought in place of them.

Is this thread the busiest football thread on boards?

Nearly the busiest overall! I wonder if any other recurring thread could have done 10K posts that quickly...

There's a photo of Suarez in training with the team doing the rounds on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Just get the team together. If the lads have an issue with him they'll sort it out.

I doubt they'd really care! There's very little loyalty in football (from team to player and vice versa) or any other professional sport! Most have probably felt hard done by, by a club at some stage through their career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this apology thing is the only part of the Suarez debacle that Rodgers is getting wrong IMO.

it doesn't matter a fúck. are the players all of a sudden going to think Suarez really cares just because he gave an apology?

fúck no.

just make it a clearly professional arrangement. make it clear to Luis that he won't be sold until next summer, when we will sell him to a foreign club, subject to a decent fee coming in.

make it clear that he needs to keep playing well in order to attract the interest of the clubs he wants to move to. make it clear that there's no point in him acting the bollocks, because it will put off suitors. it's in his best interests to do his best for Liverpool.

purely professional.

this "apology" is nonsense and will mean, in reality, nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Grayditch wrote: »
    All Willian talk should be banned unless he's holding a jersey, or leaning on air at Melwood. Or hugging Ian Ayer.

Or signing a Liverpool shirt:

BNC2GNOCIAEfL6R.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Pretty much this, IMO:

@Kate_LFC_SFC
    Sky Sources: We saw a picture on Twitter and decided to take an educated guess #SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

SlickRic wrote: »
    this apology thing is the only part of the Suarez debacle that Rodgers is getting wrong IMO.

it doesn't matter a fúck. are the players all of a sudden going to think Suarez really cares just because he gave an apology?

fúck no.

just make it a clearly professional arrangement. make it clear to Luis that he won't be sold until next summer, when we will sell him to a foreign club, subject to a decent fee coming in.

make it clear that he needs to keep playing well in order to attract the interest of the clubs he wants to move to. make it clear that there's no point in him acting the bollocks, because it will put off suitors. it's in his best interests to do his best for Liverpool.

purely professional.

Dead right. Liverpool handled the Suarez sega almost perfectly. The apology aspect is the only bit they - or Rodgers - got wrong.
    Sappy404 wrote: »
    Or signing a Liverpool shirt:

BNC2GNOCIAEfL6R.jpg

Who is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

fúck no.

purely professional.

It's better than the alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

@Kess

I partially agree and disagree with your opinion on Henderson.

Agree, that he is not quite there in terms of first team consistency. I also wouldn't like to rely on him, but personally would rate him ahead of Allen, but also admit Allen could easily step up his game this season and be much better and Henderson.

I would prefer a rated midfielder to come in and replace both, but with that seeming increasingly unlikely, I don't have a lack of confidence in Henderson to provide adequate performances in the midfield, as a rotational option to Allen.

Regarding Suarez, whether the apology is a good idea, bad idea on behalf of BR, if it had actually happened it's a step in the right direction. It's almost certainly just been said my Suarez in an effort to get back into first team training, but its an assurance of some sort that we're going to have him until xmas at least. Granted should he leave at the xmas window, we only have him for a few games, but his quality is immense. I'm not going to say its like a signing, because its not...we want to build upon what we had last year, and should Willian come in I think we've really done that.

Ideally we would get another midfielder to join up with the squad, but I just can't see that happening now. I'd imagine should we secure Willian that will be the end of the business for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Unless it's an old photo being rehashed but it's seems legit with too many reporters carrying the story.

Triple S....Suarez Says Sorry!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tusky wrote: »
    Who is that?

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Yes, cause they know Rodgers will say that he won't talk about a private conversation.

But he said he'd only come back once he apologised, so it's a fair assumption.

I disagree SlickRic - the fact that we spoke publicly about his speaking out of turn, dressed him down and made him train elsewhere was a big thing.
    The fact that he now appears to have made amends and been invited back to the fold is a BIG mark of intent for Rodgers. He's not a Fergie or a Capello, he doesn't have decades of being a hard-nosed grump to fall back on. His players will judge him on his actions.

So this episode has shown that he can make a stand, and come out on top. A lesson to any player who thinks he might try that in the future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I've lost count at the amount of times I've said we need a new CB and cover for Lucas. The latter I've been saying for years now!

So we won't have had a good window if we don't get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

T-K-O wrote: »
    It's better than the alternative

we've 2 choices.

force him to make an apology to play, or approach it purely professionally and say we're not stupid, and the apology means little after the summer that's just gone.

just encourage him to play well for his own interests.

Suarez giving an apology is going to have no bearing on his relationship with the rest of the camp.

we've 2 choices.

force him to make an apology to play, or approach it purely professionally and say we're not stupid, and the apology means little after the summer that's just gone.

Suarez giving an apology is going to have no bearing on his relationship with the rest of the camp.

The apology wasn't to make them all love him again, they are all adults and will have their opinions of him, but it clears the air, and it shows that Rodgers still has control of the group. It's a statement of intent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

fúck no.

purely professional.

Not sure I agree.

It will humble Suarez somewhat to have to stand there and apologise to his team mates. It takes courage to apologise. The other players will have more respect for him for doing it.

It also clears the air and puts them all on the same page before the season starts tomorrow.

I think Rodgers was right to make him apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Dickerty wrote: »
    The apology wasn't to make them all love him again, they are all adults and will have their opinions of him, but it clears the air, and it shows that Rodgers still has control of the group. It's a statement of intent.
    Yep. Suarez back in training means we can put all this sh!te behind us until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Don't think Rogers got the apology bit wrong. If he hasn't apologised we should just drop it however and if asked by a journo say "That's an internal matter"
    (of course this will be ruined by suarez saying he hasn't)
    Whether he apologises or not is irrelevant but Rogers put down a marker by saying he had to.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Never heard of him. Sounds rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Completely disagree with this. Yes, we all know the apology isn't "heartfelt" but it is an assertion by BR and the club that he who pays the piper calls the tune. If BR hadn't asserted his authority, even if it is via a fairly sham/shallow apology, it would weaken the managers position. By making the best player at the club jump through a few hoops it will discourage others from acting the boll*cks and allow a line to be drawn under this chapter. At least until next summer :eek:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Guys, you're getting it all wrong. The only thing that matters is how Mike65 feels about Suarez apologizing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

So is that 60 goals extra for us this season now? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rumour has it Doris the tea lady has been given her marching orders. Still, that's £146.23 saved in wages, every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

RainMaker wrote: »

Our year lads..our year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Only in relation to Arsenal AFIK, with all other teams I think it's +30.

Falcao apparently transfer-listed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rumour has it Doris the tea lady has been given her marching orders. Still, that's £146.23 saved in wages, every week.

Twitter's saying it's just a loan to Napoli with an option to buy at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Twitter's saying it's just a loan to Napoli with an option to buy at the end of the season.

Great move for her...she knows Rafa's system, should fit in well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Falcao apparently transfer-listed...

I read the rumour earlier and I don't believe it. Tax issues or not, he isn't going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

we've 2 choices.

Suarez is done at the club, its a matter of time. In the meantime He will play for us again and as such he needs to show respect to the manager and the players. An apology will achieve that.

Yes he will be off kissing the badge at Real / (insert club) next season but so what, BR took control of the situation. This is a small victory for the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Great move for her...she knows Rafa's system, should fit in well

Wants her to put the cups of tea in certain areas rather than going man to man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

This is disgraceful. You haven't a shred of proof to be posting this nonsense. If you're going to post something so provocative at least provide some links. No twitter BS links either.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

obviously you need another maths lesson

because we keep him and arsenal dont we get an extra 45 goals;) you forgot to carry the one

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement