Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I knew my new business venture would come into play eventually.

supporttee.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't know why anyone is surprised by this. The FA love their big headline cases, whether it be Rooney for swearing or Suarez for a multitude of things. If it was a Norwich player who shouted profanities into a camera, or who give Fulham players the bird I doubt we'd even remember the incidents afterwards, much less hear about them getting bans for them.

The FA, and FIFA too, have been shown to be a joke organisation when it comes to reviewing incidents,hiding behind technicalities when it suits them and going way OTT when the incident is a big moral outrage thing.

What they are saying here is essentially that they view biting as worse than racism (I wonder what our buddies in the society of black lawyers have to say about it), never mind leg breaking tackles, forearm smashes, headbutts or elbowing. It makes no sense whatsoever, but who really expected it to be a 4-6 game ban like it probably should have been? I expected 8, but as I said previously wouldn't have been surprised with anything up to a 6 month time ban, and this is effectively a 5 month ban. Of course he deserved a ban, and fair enough more than the standard 3 games one. I think 6/7 would have been the sweet spot for them where they can say they acted to severely punish an act they want to see stamped out, and Liverpool would have said 'disagree with the length, but accept it, etc'. I'm sure there will be crap about prior circumstances, etc, but it is still OTT imo.

Odds on the fixture computer making Liverpool's 7th competitive game next season against Chelsea or Utd? Far lower than it should be imo. Obviously that is pending him being at the club next season in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just hope Suarez and other players learn from this. Next time they lose it in a moment of madness, make sure they go in over the ball and snap the player's leg. If they come in from a decent angle, they might be able to end the lad's career. You see that way, they'll only get a three or four game ban.

The likes of Fellaini and Huth had it right when they elbowed the opposing player in the face.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

That_Guy wrote: »
    I knew my new business venture would come into play eventually.

supporttee.jpg

You should tell people how you really feel about Liverpool.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Should tell people how you really feel about Liverpool.

I don't like Liverpool.

My horrible secret is out.

Happy?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Why must everything be compared and contrasted to other offences by other players?

Why, by giving a 10 match ban is the FA saying one thing is worse than the other?

They aren't. They are saying "Well you didn't learn from the 3, 4 or 8 game bans we gave you before so let's try 10".

It starts and ends with Suarez' previous conduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It is mental to think that if he cracked Ivanovic in the face and broke his nose he'd be back for the final game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Benimar wrote: »
    Yes, its disgusting but so is spitting. Although I'd rather be bitten by Suarez than have my leg broken by a two footed challenge...even if the FA deem the 1st offence to be 3 times as bad.

Also, if Ivanovic (the only one to deserve any credit here) had an infection we would know about it at this stage (BTW, you do know you can get infections from saliva?)

This would only worry me if Suarez was a komodo dragon

I don't like Liverpool.

Happy?

So...

18599545774f575acea145e_excuse.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Why must everything be compared and contrasted to other offences by other players?

Why, by giving a 10 match ban is the FA saying one thing is worse than the other?

They aren't. They are saying "Well you didn't learn from the 3, 4 or 8 game bans we gave you before so let's try 10".

That's all well & good, except it's bull****. It's not the way the FA has ever conducted themselves before. Roy Keane's bans didn't get increasingly more severe over the years based on previous indiscretions.

Look it's ok to just say you're happy he got a huge ban because you don't like Liverpool & you hate Suarez....you don't need to pretend it makes sense, because it doesn't.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    So...

You are aware that superthreads aren't strictly for fans of that particular team/topic right?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That's all well & good, except it's bull****. It's not the way the FA has ever conducted themselves before. Roy Keane's bans didn't get increasingly more severe over the years based on previous indiscretions.

So when they do get the process for repeat offences right they should also be lambasted just because it happens to be your player? Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

At what point does Suarez need to get out of England for his own sanity? I'm well aware much of this is of his own making but it will take extreme character for him not to take the side door out to Munich/Madrid if offered it during the summer. Things had just started to calm down with regards to the goldfish bowl attention he was receiving and he's now going to have to go through that all again next season with heightened levels of scrutiny. In his situation I think I'd be slipping gently into the night.

Opr

So when they do get the process for repeat offences right they should also be lambasted just because it happens to be your player? Right.

LOL, so that's what it is? The FA have just so happened to get it right at last & we should all be happy? Brilliant! Next time Scholes gets a red card, should he get a 10 game ban for a career of dangerous tackles? Next time Ferguson gets a charge of talking about officials should he get a life time ban?

Honestly, stop being silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I don't like Liverpool.

Happy?
    You are aware that superthreads aren't strictly for fans of that particular team/topic right?

I dont like Fair City but I dont go into the Fair City thread mentioning how much I dont like Fair City or making fun of its actors.

opr wrote: »
    At what point does Suarez need to get out of England for his own sanity? I'm well aware much of this is of his own making but it will take extreme character for him not to take the side door out to Munich/Madrid if offered it during the summer. Things had just started to calm down with regards to the goldfish bowl attention he was receiving and he's now going to have to go through that all again next season with heightened levels of scrutiny. In his situation I think I'd be slipping gently into the night.

Opr

Yep. Me too.

To be honest, with our manager being out of his depth & the club showing no signs of advancement he should probably be looking for a way out anyway....add in the crusade against him combined with his seeming inability to stop doing stupid stuff, he'll probably think, "**** this, lets get out of here!"

I am indeed, and discussing the issues is fine. But coming in just to point out your hate of a team whom 90% of the thread occupants support is a different issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So...

Do Newcastle even have their own thread?

LOL, so that's what it is? The FA have just so happened to get it right at last & we should all be happy? Brilliant! Next time Scholes gets a red card, should he get a 10 game ban for a career of dangerous tackles? Next time Ferguson gets a charge of talking about officials should he get a life time ban?

Suarez was told to watch his future conduct at the same time he was given an 8 match ban.

The 8 game ban apparently didn't teach him his lesson so up she goes to 10 for another serious offence.

Blame the FA and everyone else all you like but the only person at fault here is Suarez.

kfallon wrote: »
    Do Newcastle even have their own thread?

Yeah, it consists of about 30 pages of "PARDEW OUT" comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah, it consists of about 30 pages of "PARDEW OUT" comments.

Each post is from That_Guy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Its non football offences he keeps getting done for. If Keane had written a newspaper article after his 2nd ban for Haaland incident saying he went to do Viera I would have expected a 10 match ban 2nd time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Which would be fair enough if all other players who are repeat offenders in terms of red cards/bans got the exact same.

But if a look is taken at players who get regular red cards/bans, there is a lack of steady examples of their bans increasing with every repeat offence.

It is very simple. Either every player gets increases in ban length for every ban after their first one, or just the set ban length for the individual offence is applied.

Suarez deserved a ban, but why should he be hit hard with the reoffending excuse when there are plenty of players who rack up bans for one reason or another who can get a steady 3 (or 4 if the normal +1 is added for exceptional circumstances) match ban every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I don't like Liverpool.

Happy?

It's not a two way thing though. Newcastle are too insignificant for most Liverpool fans to hate.

Suarez was told to watch his future conduct at the same time he was given an 8 match ban.

So is anyone who ever gets a ban? :confused:

Honestly, it's a joke. Even the braindead media will admit this is ****ing ridiculous. You won't. That's ok though. Life goes on x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Was expecting 10 so no surprise.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Which would be fair enough if all other players who are repeat offenders in terms of red cards/bans got the exact same.

But if a look is taken at players who get regular red cards/bans, there is a lack of steady examples of their bans increasing with every repeat offence.

It is very simple. Either every player gets increases in ban length for every ban after their first one, or just the set ban length for the individual offence is applied.

Suarez deserved a ban, but why should he be hit hard with the reoffending excuse when there are plenty of players who rack up bans for one reason or another who can get a steady 3 (or 4 if the normal +1 is added for exceptional circumstances) match ban every time?

If you can show me a player who has a history of racial abuse and multiple instances of biting a fellow-pro then fair enough. But Suarez is quite the pioneer.

If all you've got are scummy tackles to compare these extraordinary offences to when scummy tackles exist up and down football from top to bottom then there's no debate. Not like Suarez isn't guilty of some horror tackles of his own is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Suarez was warned about his future conduct, he ignored that warning.

Are you people not taking that into account, or what?

Is that taken into account by the FA generally speaking?

Is there a precedent for the FA doing that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

amiable wrote: »
    It's not a two way thing though. Newcastle are too insignificant for most Liverpool fans to hate.

We are playing them at the weekend. Bad timing for that comment imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭event

Gbear wrote: »
    reallyworse.jpg

Absolute ****ing disgrace to be honest.

But then again it is the FA - an organisation that are as corrupt as they are incompetent.

Please say it wasnt you that made that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement