Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge on ferry

Options
  • 10-06-2012 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Wondering what to do with the fridge on the ferry to France. Is it best to leave it empty and off or should I put some freezer blocks in it, would they last the journey. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If its Irish Ferries I've heard that you can get an EHU.
    If it's Celtic Link if you are on the semi-open deck it should be no problem to leave it on gas.

Otherwise as you say put some freezer blocks in or some frozen plastic milk bottles filled with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelagg2000

I drive a truck and we plug the fridge trailers in on the boat so they run on electric power. not sure if campers have electric power hook ups but just request a plug in when your booking on board the ferry,there is no extra charge for this service for trucks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Wondering what to do with the fridge on the ferry to France. Is it best to leave it empty and off or should I put some freezer blocks in it, would they last the journey. any ideas?
    If it's Irishferries ask the staff on car deck who'll plug you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Hi All
    Its Celtic link. I sailed with them last year, I just cant remember what I did....senior moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I drive a truck and we plug the fridge trailers in on the boat so they run on electric power. not sure if campers have electric power hook ups but just request a plug in when your booking on board the ferry,there is no extra charge for this service for trucks anyway

Fridges trailers are three phase though, and the campervans would be a mickey mouse 16a single phase by comparison. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them try to charge the domestic users of the ferry for the pleasure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi All
    Its Celtic link. I sailed with them last year, I just cant remember what I did....senior moment

Celtic Link EHU's are three phase, not suitable for motorhomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

I put my on gas last year going to france on WITH IF,,

I checked with Celtic link this morning. They have no plugs for campervans, but they do hope to in the future. You must turn off your gas.So it looks like the ice blocks for me. I dont plan on have too much in the fridge anyway. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I checked with Celtic link this morning. They have no plugs for campervans, but they do hope to in the future. You must turn off your gas.So it looks like the ice blocks for me. I dont plan on have too much in the fridge anyway. Thanks for your help.

If you have it on for a day or two before so it is cold already it will last the crossing with a few additional ice packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

Freeze the juice and milk. And anything else you can. Then fill up the space in the fridge with sealed food containers (or bags) that are full of frozen water. (Leave enough room in the containers for expansion of the water when frozen. Also on that note drink a bit of the juice/milk also.) The basic idea is to fill as much space a possible with frozen stuff and also not to have a leak when the water melts!

If you have a significant drive to the ferry then pack the freezer box with the juice, milk and containers or bags that you froze at home the night before. When you get to the port empty the freezer into the fridge and shut the door. (Note: Do not leave any food in the freezer as it will start to defrost and then refreeze when you turn the fridge back on. You can then look forward to spending a few days of your holiday on the loo or worse.)

Don't open the fridge in the 30 mins or so before you have to switch it off.

Your juice and milk will slowly defrost overnight leaving you with nice cool juice and milk for breakfast as you wait to disembark. Just give them a good shake. (Unless you are seriously into your milk you should not notice that it had been frozen.) You will also have a nice cool fridge that you can stock up at the nearest supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

WildWater wrote: »
    Freeze the juice and milk. And anything else you can. Then fill up the space in the fridge with sealed food containers (or bags) that are full of frozen water. (Leave enough room in the containers for expansion of the water when frozen. Also on that note drink a bit of the juice/milk also.) The basic idea is to fill as much space a possible with frozen stuff and also not to have a leak when the water melts!

If you have a significant drive to the ferry then pack the freezer box with the juice, milk and containers or bags that you froze at home the night before. When you get to the port empty the freezer into the fridge and shut the door. (Note: Do not leave any food in the freezer as it will start to defrost and then refreeze when you turn the fridge back on. You can then look forward to spending a few days of your holiday on the loo or worse.)

Don't open the fridge in the 30 mins or so before you have to switch it off.

Your juice and milk will slowly defrost overnight leaving you with nice cool juice and milk for breakfast as you wait to disembark. Just give them a good shake. (Unless you are seriously into your milk you should not notice that it had been frozen.) You will also have a nice cool fridge that you can stock up at the nearest supermarket.

Good idea. Though I wouldn't count on having breakfast as you wait to disembark as they clear out the deck with the motorhomes on the Irish Ferries ship in about 10 minutes after arrival.

Hi all Thanks for all the tips, Its 11.00pm Im in Cassis, Southern France sitting outside my campervan wondering whats the best way to cool down a van.:eek:
    Sorry about this, But I want to read this next winter..../

Advertisement