Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke 3d or Doom multiplayer on 56k ?

Options
  • 05-04-2003 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

is it possible to play old games such as Duke nukem 3d and doom over a 56k modem ? would it work fine or do i need a faster connection ? how do i go about playing multiplayer ne way in these games ?

and yeah them n64 emulators have multiplayer capabilities , do they work slow on 56k ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jDoom or zDoom should have improved multiplayer capabilities...
    there was a thread about them a while back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88205&highlight=doom

not sure about duke, it's source code has just been made freely available, a winxp compatible internet play version might surface in the next couple of weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

I used to play MP Duke3D over a null modem cable back in the days of Win95 so it should work no problem with a modem. BUT like tman said you will have to wait for a winxp compatible version... its DOS atm. Linux port is just out but has no MP support yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It will be slow unless you get a new soure release (like zDoom).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

the worst thing for playing something like that over a 56k is the fear of disconnecting, one of the reasons i gave up playing games on the net. sucky connection, i could actually tolerate the lag etc' but just getting disconnected, esecially with games like tibsun, just bad for the old blood pressure, smash the keyboard into the screen etc'.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

there IS a program out there called OC, try doing a search 4 it on the net. What it does it allow u to host/join MP Duke3d, i used it to play with me m8s, id host it on my 56k and 3-4 cud play without lag. i had to format my HDD recently so i losed it and Duke and the will to play it due to soldier of fortune 2 and BF :D hold i helped. If u cant find it, just ask me and ill get it 4 yah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Advertisement