Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    Count me in for one. Can you post up the makes your can get your hands on?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    I'd take one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ok so. I'll make enquiries so and let yis know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah sounds like a great idea Seve. Would be good to have everyone kitted out for the Ryder jug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Have a great one tomorrow guys and gals - looking forward to hearing the stories and results 😃

Well after Tullamore I am still top of the pile with a solid pull of 100 points, but there are a few lads starting to consolidate their position in the Ryder Jug Positions. With his win, Athlone leapfrogs into second spot and despite never winning rock steady Fix moves into third and looks sure to guarantee himself a Jug spot... though this season is only just starting to get warmed up, so with 5 events still to play and 5 best scores to count, there is nobody out of it yet!

17062278677_13e295a434_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks Seve for all the work.

Too early for any coronations in my opinion - was in 3rd once and finished 11th (lol)

Anyway - I think the lads mentioned it or it was posted before - could you change first post to which Carton house course we are playing ?

Again - thanks again - first in the door and always last out.

Cheers Fix. It's the Monty course. I can't change it so maybe Keano or Charlie would be so kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Just saw the date for Dundrum. Gutted I'll be missing it. Have a good one lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »
    Cheers Fix. It's the Monty course. I can't change it so maybe Keano or Charlie would be so kind

Done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Another early non runner for Dundrum lads, have a stag on that weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭bobster453

Will miss Dundrum, the closest course to me, have godsons confirmation in kildare that day and heading to krakow day after.

Have to brush up on my Marlon Brando lines before then

I hate to be the bad boy, but unfortunately this has to be said, especially as we had so many last minute drop outs for last Saturday. Please do not take this personally, it is not meant as such to anyone, but it is important that you are all aware.

Please remember we are a society built on the Golf forum here. Some of you are regular posters & viewers and others not so regular. That's all fine, but we are who we are and if you are part of the society, please take some time to view the relevant threads (there is not many of them, one main thread for the year and one outing thread per month). All the information needed for the society and our outings is provided on the threads and if you have any feedback at all to give, please feel free to post. I think it is appropriate that we all interact with each other through the relevant threads.

I totally understand and appreciate that things come up at the last minute to mess up our golfing plans and mean you have to cancel your attendance. It's not a problem, these things happen. I know some of you dropped me PM's, but to be honest it is much easier from an admin point of view to keep on top of things and as a courtesy to the others in the society if you have to withdraw from an event please
    1. Decline on Teamer
    AND
    2. Post a message to the relevant thread as soon as possible.

A few last minute drop outs has never been a problem before and will not be in the future but ahead of last three events at the marquee courses, things will be a bit more restrictive. Please all be aware that we need to give these clubs confirmed numbers well in advance and there are penalties if those numbers drop. We really don't want to have to pay for guys who won't be playing.

After the great turn out @ Portmarnock, we had to go and secure extra tee times at all the future events, but there is at least one which is still going to be tight. We currently have room for 32 there but we are still looking to get extra times. We made all the bookings based on last years numbers, where the maximum turn out was 28 twice. So far this year we have had, 24, 44, 35 & 32, so it's great to see the numbers bumped up, but it has caused headaches. :cool: It turns out, some courses are easy to get extra tee times at, some courses go out of their way to move things around to accommodate you and some courses are just full! Lessons were learnt and will be heeded for next year.

With regard to the marquee venues, some courses are stricter & more penal than others. Where there may be wiggle room @ some, they all specify deadlines by which numbers must be confirmed or else differing percentages of green fees have to be paid (up to full amounts) even if we don't have the numbers turn up. We could just hand some times back so as not to get penalised and hope we can get extra last minute tee times if our numbers jump. But I'd rather not do that as I want to afford everyone the opportunity to be guaranteed a game if they want to play. So I will review deadlines and confirm numbers with the clubs as late as possible.

With thanks to our main sponsors, NRC Taxis, all these events will be subsidised. But if we have late drop outs or no-shows which we have to pay for, it will mean the subsidies won't be as good and we will all have to pay more.......... and none of us want that. So I would ask you to be considerate to the rest of the society and make sure you are available to attend before accepting. We will always to our utmost best to ensure everyone gets a game with us, never let anyone down yet :)

Now after all that, with thanks to NRC & Co-Op Taxis, I hope to have another nice little surprise with me at the next outing. All will be revealed @ Dundrum :D

^^^^
    Didn't hear him complaining when he won in Naas! :)

(NRC) Taxi for Parlance

PARlance wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Didn't hear him complaining when he won in Naas! :)

(NRC) Taxi for Parlance

ah now that's out of order :) i won fair and square :cool:

I'm not complaining anyway, just trying to keep yis on yer toes. It's tough work this you know.... without having to worry about paying for times you wont use!

• Advertisement

ah now that's out of order :) i won fair and square :cool:

I'm not complaining anyway, just trying to keep yis on yer toes. It's tough work this you know.... without having to worry about paying for times you wont use!

Only messing El Capitano ;)
    Dead right, great line up of courses and it's only right that we don't mess yourselves or the course around.

PARlance wrote: »
    Only messing El Capitano ;)

I know :rolleyes:

I know :rolleyes:

I know you know.
    Winky face was for El Capitano Seve. Winky face

Just making enquiries into the Polo shirts. I can get some pretty decent rates through a supplier I know who is going to look after us, but it all boils down to what we want to spend.

So money? quality? brand? style? colour? anything else?

Any ideas guys???????

Just making enquiries into the Polo shirts. I can get some pretty decent rates through a supplier I know who is going to look after us, but it all boils down to what we want to spend.

So money? quality? brand? style? colour? anything else?

Any ideas guys???????

I suppose Boards blue is the colour to go for, with the society logo on it.

I'd think around the €30 mark would be fair enough to spend.

Wouldn't care about brand. Quality - best you can get for the money being spent.

Would have a preference of avoiding too shiny a material.

You know I don't go in for that tacky golf gear at all :D

• Advertisement

was thinking a light/sky blue myself and the logo definitely embroidered on. The logo is dark, so don't want them clashing to much, though we could possibly change the colour on the logo

Golfgraffix :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

What brands can you get Seve? I agree with Space, about 30 would be ideal if possible. A dark blue, somewhat like the boards menu bar would be good

Probably can get any brand really but Fruit of the Loom & Russell Athletic was what he was indicating. Depending on which actual one we go for, you are talking from €15-25 for those lads. They are basic enough Polo's, wouldn't be the swish golf coolmax, climalite whatever you'r having yourself modern fabrics. mix of cotton and polyester. we have the cheap ones here as our uniforms and they actually aren't that bad at all. He said this is the best. Probably going to come in a bit over the €20 mark.

Russell J588M Pima cotton polo
    An extremely fine and smooth micro-pique, made from 100% bio polished pima cotton, delivers outstanding drape, fit and comfort. Neck tape for comfort and durability. Side vents with internal herringbone tape for added stability and better fit. Modern style flat knit cuffs. Reinforced shoulder seams. Spare button in side seam.

He said Nike & Addidas would be up @ the €50 mark. I see Glenmuir and Ashworth there also, so they are probably up around that kinda money too.

Edit:
    What do yis think of this one in Azure Blue? no price on it yet, but I'll find out if you are interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra
    Going to have get one of those Cloth caps as well! ;)

Story-White-566M-566F-5-HR.jpg?itok=Dw4bgTx-

Rikand wrote: »

I think the Ryder jug team should wear trilby tour hats this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

charlieIRL wrote: »

NO NO NO NO

by the way did I say a big no... :D

Golf club *ank*rs comes to mind :eek:

Look it up on Twitter GCW

I don't want one :D

I don't want one :D

Sure fix, I'm pretty sure you quit the society at the start of this year anyway :)

Ending up at a lot of outings somehow though

What do yis think of this one in Azure Blue? no price on it yet, but I'll find out if you are interested

These are probably going to be a little less than €25.
    What yis think?
    I hopefully will have a sample for Kerry Scratch cups weekend so can show whoever is around then.

• Advertisement

These are probably going to be a little less than €25.
    What yis think?
    I hopefully will have a sample for Kerry Scratch cups weekend so can show whoever is around then.

Looks good seve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads what's the situation re attending the Dundrum outing? I don't have a handicap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Lads what's the situation re attending the Dundrum outing? I don't have a handicap.

I am actually just about to send invites out today.

send me a PM with all your details, name, email, phone, did you ever have a handicap before? how handy are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

probably how I look when the shticks are strapped to the back of the bike :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

Whats the craic lads hope you guys have been practising hard over the winter! Whos captain this year? We need to talk ryder jug venue! PM me your number and I can call. Maybe even send you a pic of the trophy!:D

technodub wrote: »
    Whats the craic lads hope you guys have been practising hard over the winter! Whos captain this year? We need to talk ryder jug venue! PM me your number and I can call. Maybe even send you a pic of the trophy!:D

Alright dude, how's things?! When are you joining us for a round? Captain Seve has the reigns this year.
    Enjoy the jug, we're bringing it home this year!!!!!

Hey there Technodub, we are all playing great golf this year. take a picture of that Jug and frame it :D

Updated GOTY table guys and girls. The battle is beginning to heat up now for the Jug team spots. You would think the top 5 might be secure at this stage, but with 4 rounds still to play, there is still a lot to play for, so I wouldn't be counting your chickens just yet!

18054049375_4b4b95ab84_b.jpg

All bar two of the top 10 have attended every outing thus far so I reckon it won't be until after the Killeen Castle outing that the picture will become clearer 😜

mafc wrote: »
    All bar two of the top 10 have attended every outing thus far so I reckon it won't be until after the Killeen Castle outing that the picture will become clearer 😜

definitely, you just cant call it at this stage, so many guys only played a couple so they could shoot right up with a couple of solid performances

• Advertisement

I haven't missed one yet and don't intend to either!! Hopefully portmarnock was my worst round of the year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

is it too late to get involved in this guys?

is it too late to get involved in this guys?

It's never too late ......but...... Unfortunately the last 4 events are marquee courses are heavily subsidised by the society so only members from the very start are eligible for the reduced green fee. You are most definitely welcome , as is anyone else, but the green fee will be slightly higher.

Ah ya that's no prob. I'll just make sure I'm free. How do I join? Sorry if this is available somewhere and I'm not seeing it!

Ah ya that's no prob. I'll just make sure I'm free. How do I join? Sorry if this is available somewhere and I'm not seeing it!

Send on your name, handicap, email address and phone number to either me or seve and we'll add you to the text service for the rest of the rounds.

Thanks

• Advertisement

You are right - as a top 3 has you in the mx.

But points in the bag worth more than points in the future. ;)

Well - -except your win in The Curragh.

You are right - as a top 3 has you in the mx.

But points in the bag worth more than points in the future. ;)

Well - -except your win in The Curragh.

In hindsight I think I'd need a few more shots lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    In hindsight I think I'd need a few more shots lol

Already have 1 back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Just outside the top 10 now after my 2nd place at the weekend, great to see I'm back in the hunt after missing Naas and Tullamore, roll on The Curragh :)

Well it's not quite the Claret Jug Rory McIlroy picked up last July when he won the British Open, but The Captains Prize in September is our Major and now we have our very own Claret Jug perpetual trophy.

I must extend a very special thank you to Boards and Dav in particular, who have been very kind and generous to weigh in with some sponsorship towards this little beauty.

17476527814_d947b23e09_z.jpg

Those of you who played last weekend will have seen it up close and personal. So come September, who will be the next to have their name engraved on Our Claret Jug?????

18095651742_abd64a10f0_z.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement