Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greens Sanded/PoleForked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Our own greens in Castlemartyr were done last week so a bit of rain this week would be ideal. I have a query though, those familiar with the course know that it is a links style course. Now heres the thing, the sand/grit used is very course and is something that you find on the beach not fine at all which would havent been used previously, anyone got an idea as to why this may be the the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

rocky911 wrote: »
    Our own greens in Castlemartyr were done last week so a bit of rain this week would be ideal. I have a query though, those familiar with the course know that it is a links style course. Now heres the thing, the sand/grit used is very course and is something that you find on the beach not fine at all which would havent been used previously, anyone got an idea as to why this may be the the case ?

Pure guess but cost saving jumps out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

PARlance wrote: »
    Pure guess but cost saving jumps out.

Maybe that might be it perhaps, was wondering was it a trick of the trade seeing as the superintendent of the course worked in Scotland for years and was something he may have picked up,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Our greens got a "fine" hollow last week, never seen it before, same as normal hollow tining but but a much small hole and 4 days later it was hardly noticeable.
    Is this done regularly and I just never noticed before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Senna wrote: »
    Our greens got a "fine" hollow last week, never seen it before, same as normal hollow tining but but a much small hole and 4 days later it was hardly noticeable.
    Is this done regularly and I just never noticed before?

Saw the same last month at the home course, fine marks and then left literally for a few hours and then roller out on the green and hardly noticeable that same day, done over two days and by the weekend you would not know it happened.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Athy GC done last week, petty as the greens were the best i have seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

rocky911 wrote: »

The course sand may well have been a cost saving exercise. It could also be because they wanted more aeration under the green. This would lead to better growth and allow the root system to become stronger. The course sand is less likely to compact than fine sand or soil which could allow the drainage to work better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Blackbush got done 2 weeks ago, greens still very bad due to lack of growth and alot of rain. say will take another few weeks to get back to there best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

slave1 wrote: »
    Saw the same last month at the home course, fine marks and then left literally for a few hours and then roller out on the green and hardly noticeable that same day, done over two days and by the weekend you would not know it happened.

Courses spend more and more effort in adding aeration to the greens with minimum disruptions to the members / green fees. Fine coring is a good example. Our course is now using a Pneumatic aerator which leaves the surface almost unmarked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps7C_p7dEX4

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogieman

Anyone know if Carton House is done yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Bogieman wrote: »

Montgomery wasn't Sunday anyway,greens were perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Played a few Limerick cources over the Easter weekend.

Newcastle West - looks like the greens were done about 2 weeks prior so greens on the way back. Still a bit bumpy and sandy so should be good in another week or two.

Castletroy - Looks like they were done during the week, fine core but extremely course sand/gravel used and in abundance so it was like putting across the car park on most. Also 3 temporary greens in use on holes 1-3 so best avoided for the month of April.

Limerick County (Ballyneety) - Also recently done and with large cores and not fully filled in with sand so greens very bumpy and slow. Chips and putts likely to bounce/roll in any direction. Will need attitional sand and top dressing to fill in some of the cores so could be another 3 weeks before they start to roll somewhat true.

It's a frustrating time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate has been done recently too. Wasn't too bad over the weekend but still a little bumpy. Only to be expected and it is for the good of the greens long term health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Bogieman wrote: »

Played the O'Meara on Monday and they were not done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

played greystones the other day and they had been lightly sanded the week previous but were still like lightning.

amazing greens considering the rain we had last week (and I played friday).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Redriddick wrote: »
    Played the O'Meara on Monday and they were not done!!!

Played Omeara yesterday and they have been pole forked very recently as the greens were pretty much pot luck, very slow and bumpy.

Lad that had arranged our game wasnt happy it wasnt mentioned when he rang to book..65 a man, tee to green the course is superb then anything can happen on the greens.

Played Omeara yesterday and they have been pole forked very recently as the greens were pretty much pot luck, very slow and bumpy.

Lad that had arranged our game wasnt happy it wasnt mentioned when he rang to book..65 a man, tee to green the course is superb then anything can happen on the greens.

That's a crock, I'd have given them plenty of negative disappointment afterwards or if they were brutal walk off after 9 and get a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

slave1 wrote: »
    That's a crock, I'd have given them plenty of negative disappointment afterwards or if they were brutal walk off after 9 and get a refund

Yeah it was dissapointing to get up the first green and be faced with it. Its obviously up to the course when they do it etc but if he had have known we would have played somewhere else. There were plenty of people out on the course though and it wasn't the worst ive seen but for 65 each it was a bit lousy in my opinion and i wouldnt be rushing back.

Cavan and Mullingar being done next week, hollow tinning I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Roganstown were done last week almost back to normal now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I believe Grange got a bit of stick with a big event on there last Saturday and doing their greens 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Seve OB wrote: »
    I believe Grange got a bit of stick with a big event on there last Saturday and doing their greens 2 weeks ago.

I played in it and I have to say that I thought they were great.

Not absolutely perfect but fair and fast

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I played in it and I have to say that I thought they were great.

Not absolutely perfect but fair and fast

How did you get on in the Condron exhibition? :D more greystones talent:eek:
    I believe Kevin blew it up in the last 3 holes with 3 bogeys.

Alan played behind us in Greystones later on and won the Scratch cup, lowest gross in the medal and something else! Some day for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Seve OB wrote: »
    How did you get on in the Condron exhibition? :D more greystones talent:eek:
    I believe Kevin blew it up in the last 3 holes with 3 bogeys.

Alan played behind us in Greystones later on and won the Scratch cup, lowest gross in the medal and something else! Some day for him

those lads are playing a different game !

I was just happy to make the cut (two 77s)
    I missed it last year by 1 shot having never played the course before (well that was my excuse at the time !)

it's a great event and superb value at only €40 for potentially 3 rounds on an great course - they even throw in soup and sambos after 18 on the Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

This is quite the opposite of pole forked but couldn't think of a better place for a bit of advertising.

Tramore is hosting the Irish Close next week and we go straight into our open week after that, 9 days actually. Probably as good as you have seen the course in a while due to the Close preparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Lucan hollow cored last Monday. Will be a few weeks before they are back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Anyone played Mount Wolseley or Bunclody recently as to the conditions of the greens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

bailey99 wrote: »
    Anyone played Mount Wolseley or Bunclody recently as to the conditions of the greens?

Was in Mt W last weekend. Didn't get to play but went for a stroll and the place looked immaculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Citywest was done sometime in the last week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

I believe the monty at carton house is due to be done on Monday 17th after the weekend comp.

Advertisement