Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal workers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

That is not right to imply that they are illegal, another thing how do you know they are from india and pakistan, just because they have dark skin. You would be able to tell what nationality they are just by the tone of their skin. Do africans and Carribean/west indies people look and act them same? No, they are very different to each other. Most indians in Ireland are educated are here on work visas or student visas to study as for many pakistanis well they couldn't be trusted, its not the people its their religion.

Are you fúcking serious? You tell another poster not to stereotype a group of people based on their skin colour and then do it yourself basing it on their religion. And why am I not surprised by who thanked you. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

That is not right to imply that they are illegal, another thing how do you know they are from india and pakistan, just because they have dark skin. You would be able to tell what nationality they are just by the tone of their skin. Do africans and Carribean/west indies people look and act them same? No, they are very different to each other. Most indians in Ireland are educated are here on work visas or student visas to study as for many pakistanis well they couldn't be trusted, its not the people its their religion.

In fairness the fact that they boot off across the fields when the guards come does bring some attention to them. It does not really matter where they are from. They are costing jobs and paying no tax.

I am sure the poster does not care if they are Eskimos. They are illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

In the case of this particular Indian takeaway they are Pakistani (the indian run by Indians is down the road), I know this because it's a small town and everybody knows everybody's business. And I know they are employing illegals because why else would half their chefs and counter staff shoot out the back door and light off across the fields at midnight whenever anybody called the cops? A sudden intrest in midnight jogging? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I know lots of Irish people with dark skin.

If you were a guard and your job was to look for burglars would you not look out for fellows in stripey jumpers carrying big bags with SWAG written on them ?

Why bother when most of them cut their hair short and wear tracksuits?

Call it clothing profiling if you will, believe me - it's used and it's very very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I do know of a garda receiving a well deserved bollocking As Gaeilge from a black guy on said bus to cheers and applause from fellow passengers.

Urban myth - been doing the rounds for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

Adyx wrote: »
    Are you fúcking serious? You tell another poster not to stereotype a group of people based on their skin colour and then do it yourself basing it on their religion. And why am I not surprised by who thanked you. :rolleyes:

I am not stereotyping but a religion that isn't about giving equal rights to women is not fair

conorhal wrote: »
    In the case of this particular Indian takeaway they are Pakistani (the indian run by Indians is down the road), I know this because it's a small town and everybody knows everybody's business. And I know they are employing illegals because why else would half their chefs and counter staff shoot out the back door and light off across the fields at midnight whenever anybody called the cops? A sudden intrest in midnight jogging? :rolleyes:

Why why did you say they were indian then? there a big difference between the two. Anyways there is a major problem in the immigration first of all what is more serious than illegal workers here is bringing in criminals and rapists attacking and doing crime here here just because they are from the EU. But very few things from the perspective of reality in this country.

I don't get why alot of Irish people hate indians. They are not asylum seekers, they come here to work and get are already more educated than most. I know some of them, they are very proud and dignified people (not than people on welfare arn't they are entitled to it) but they would rather do anything than being on social welfare.

I remember than indian irish presenter who experiences racism here and she was born here!!! maybe because they are jealous of her,i don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Before anyone gets too into foreigner bashing(I reserve that for foreign criminals who come here) what about the illegal Irish in America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Urban myth - been doing the rounds for years.

So you reckon the guy (in question) was lying when he was speaking to me ?
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    what about the illegal Irish in America?
    Havent you been paying attention ?

When theyre Irish we dont call them Illegal FFS theyre Undocumented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Before anyone gets too into foreigner bashing(I reserve that for foreign criminals who come here) what about the illegal Irish in America?

Get caught, get deported, whether it's people out of Ireland, or Irish out of America/Australia etc.

Yes. Unless it's a very, very common occurence. Have heard a number of variations on it, on the street/in a take away/to the gardaí/even heard the one about the lads checking tickets going into a hurling match last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

what about the illegal Irish in America?

They can apply their laws and deport them

We will do the same with the illegals here

There's a programme I think it's Discovery Channel about customs & immigration officers in Australia.
    You often see Irish people stopped for incorrect documentation or messing around to get a 2nd work permit. I don't know the exact term but I think you can apply to get a second working holiday visa.
    People constantly get stopped and sent home

Sure we can do the same, I'm not calling for special favours for the illegals around the world

prinz wrote: »
    Yes. Unless it's a very, very common occurence. .

Next time I meet him Ill let him know that some guy off the internet reckons hes a liar :rolleyes:

Ive witnessed Asians being singled out by the Cops on the Belfast/Dublin bus myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The OP started the thread dubious that the State was doing anything about the illegals.

Then we learn that the gardaí stop buses outside Dundalk, ask everyone for ID but offense is taken as Asians get extra questions.

If they are Irish and had ID they'll produce it without issue or are people getting offended on their behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

conorhal wrote: »
    My bro runs a coffee shop, he pays the legal minimum wage to the teenagers that work there over the summer, he pays their PRSI etc.
    There is a takeaway/cafe across the road, at which there is sometimes trouble at night, trouble that sees the guards in there, and when they arrive, half the staff light out across the fields, it would be comical if the kip wasn't impacting on his business. I'd say half the takeaways in town employ illegals from Pakistan or India and they are never inspected for valid work permits, the same goes for half the building sites during the boom.

If you feel their residency is the reason for their running away I'd strongly urge your brother to contact the GNIB office in the local Garda District. If it is the case that they're working illegally it's at the loss of your brother's legitimate business and eomployees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mikemac wrote: »

There's a programme I think it's Discovery Channel about customs & immigration officers in Australia.
    You often see Irish people stopped for incorrect documentation or messing around to get a 2nd work permit. I don't know the exact term but I think you can apply to get a second working holiday visa.
    People constantly get stopped and sent home

Sure we can do the same, I'm not calling for special favours for the illegals around the world

I think you are talking about this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Are blacks legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Woah there, chief!! we're great craic and loved the world over. There's a huge difference between us and t'others.

Next time I meet him Ill let him know that some guy off the internet reckons hes a liar :rolleyes:

Ive witnessed Asians being singled out by the Cops on the Belfast/Dublin bus myself.

Why is it only asians in particular and asians with dark skin? Do you know how many countries are in asia? How come they only look for asians? There are africans, americans and people from south america living here too. If i was filipino or india i would never come to ireland, the racism i would get from many people.

I am not stereotyping but a religion that isn't about giving equal rights to women is not fair

You are stereotyping. You said you wouldn't trust any Pakistani people because of their religion. That is stereotyping. What religion is about giving equal rights to women? Christianity doesn't have the best reputation for this and Catholicism in particular is hardly an equal opportunities employer.

• Advertisement

Next time I meet him Ill let him know that some guy off the internet reckons hes a liar :rolleyes:.

You do that Michael. You could also tell him that the same story goes around involving take away staff, skangers on the street, bus drivers etc etc etc. Usually it goes along the lines of 'some dirtbag was telling a fella to speak english or go back to his own country' but he was speaking Irish.

That may well be so but that's not relevant to the story about the garda being dealt with as gaeilge.

You are stereotyping. You said you wouldn't trust any Pakistani people because of their religion. That is stereotyping. What religion is about giving equal rights to women? Christianity doesn't have the best reputation for this and Catholicism in particular is hardly an equal opportunities employer.

I am not stereotyping i am stating the facts. I don't agree with a religion not giving basic rights to women Most of our laws here are based on Christian values not 'catholic' values. Women here can vote, can be in government, can work can have children without being married and not get stoned to death, women can express their sexuality not get killed and can chose to practice their religion without their churches getting burned down, women can express their fashion and style here.
    They are all basic equal rights we have had in this country some of them are more recent than others. Women have nearly as much rights as men here but its not completely equal yet.

I am not stereotyping i am stating the facts. I don't agree with a religion not giving basic rights to women Most of our laws here are based on Christian values not 'catholic' values. Women here can vote, can be in government, can work can have children without being married and not get stoned to death, women can express their sexuality not get killed and can chose to practice their religion without their churches getting burned down, women can express their fashion and style here.
    They are all basic equal rights we have had in this country some of them are more recent than others. Women have nearly as much rights as men here but its not completely equal yet.

I'm not arguing the inequalities present in some Muslim countries. I am pointing out the hypocrisy of you admonishing a poster for judging people based on the colour of their skin, whilst you judge all Pakistani people based on their religion. Do you believe all Pakistani people agree with these inequalities? What about Pakistani Christians or Muslim Indians? Are these people also not to be trusted? I also suggest you look up the definition for stereotype.

Why is it only asians in particular and asians with dark skin? Do you know how many countries are in asia? How come they only look for asians.

The bus only holds fifty people but only three were asked for ID but sure I could be making the whole thing up Just like the Irish speaking black guy I met could have made up his story :rolleyes:

I'm not arguing the inequalities present in some Muslim countries. I am pointing out the hypocrisy of you admonishing a poster for judging people based on the colour of their skin, whilst you judge all Pakistani people based on their religion. Do you believe all Pakistani people agree with these inequalities? What about Pakistani Christians or Muslim Indians? Are these people also not to be trusted? I also suggest you look up the definition for stereotype.

Well i said its the religion not the people. Most of them are good people but however I wouldn't trust many muslims like i wouldn't trust many strangers. Well 1.6% of the popluation of pakistan is christian and 13% of indian's population are muslims. I just don't trust muslims i have not got anything against them as people just the religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Yeah, I've heard 3 or 4 variations of it.

It's just like that story about "this guy I know" who was riding a girl from behind and she said "it's too impersonal - I can't see your face" - so he whipped out his bus pass & shoved it in front of her face.
    I've heard that one around a dozen times - always a different guy from a different area - and always bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Woah there, chief!! we're great craic and loved the world over. There's a huge difference between us and t'others.

I actually believe that an insane amout of IReISH firmly believe this - can you imagine if they were to grant an amnesty to all 12 illegal immigrants on our miserable shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Why does it always have to be about the gingers ?

Because they're the devil's spawn.

Chinasea wrote: »
    I actually believe that an insane amout of IReISH firmly believe this - can you imagine if they were to grant an amnesty to all 12 illegal immigrants on our miserable shores.

LOL. Predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

prinz wrote: »
    LOL. Predictable.

LOevenLOUDER. Even more Pridictable

Advertisement