Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to mod a ds lite to play games

Options
  • 03-09-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

How do i go about making the ds lite play backup games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

buy an R4 with a 1 gig micro card from a website. i bought mine from dealextreme.com but i think they are sold out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Could you link me to the correct card please. there are several options with R4 1GB cards on the site. What would I need to do once I get the R4 card?

thanks,

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

The R4 isnt the only option:

You could get the R4 with a memory card, or you could get the M3 simply with a memory card or you can get the G6 real with internal memory.

Believe it or not, i've had my hand on each type! Each one works well but the ones that require memory cards are a bit more hassle. Try the G6 real, its probably the handiest (and is the newest on the market).

It'll come with software that you just copy onto the cart. Then you make an "NDS" folder and place games in there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Go R4 with 2gig card, most stable and easiest to use.

Snake

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

animaX wrote:
    Each one works well but the ones that require memory cards are a bit more hassle. Try the G6 real, its probably the handiest (and is the newest on the market).

Not so really. the only added "hardship" is inserting a mini sd card into the R4 card. And dropping a couple of files onto it. Easy peasy.

Not to mention the ones with the internal memory are confined to that memory. You can't expand at all.

Getting an r4 which uses mini sd cards to store the games means you can have as much memory as you want. Just buy another mini sd. Which are only 12 euro for 1gb. So you can have an absolute crap load of memory if you want. I hear people say "on you only need 1gb!". That's total bull. I have 1gb card full of games and another 1gb card full of homebrew and every emulator available. I plan on getting another for media and then another for more games.. (or maybe even just the one 2gb card..might make more sense?!)

One of the guys over on the Nintendo forum put a pack together with everything you really need to get one going. Including some emulators and hard to find programs.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145053

If you can't get an r4, an M3 Simply is more or less the same thing.

• Advertisement

A few points:

First, the R4 and M3 carts sometimes have poor build quality whereby the miniSD card will not latch into the cart, or will not pop out. The R4 that i have suffers from this (i have to use a tweezers to get the SD card in and out!)
    Secondly, miniSD's are soon to be outdated and replaced by a new type of card.
    Thirdly, you can get a 2gb G6 real and that is plenty! You cant tell me that you have more than 2gb of games that you play regularly!
    Fourthly, if you were to somehow lose or damage your SD card then the cart is no use

By the way, i'm not biased! I actually use an M3 in my ds

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

animaX wrote:
    A few points:

First, the R4 and M3 carts sometimes have poor build quality whereby the miniSD card will not latch into the cart, or will not pop out. The R4 that i have suffers from this (i have to use a tweezers to get the SD card in and out!)
    Thirdly, you can get a 2gb G6 real and that is plenty! You cant tell me that you have more than 2gb of games that you play regularly!
    Fourthly, if you were to somehow lose or damage your SD card then the cart is no use

By the way, i'm not biased! I actually use an M3 in my ds

I've heard about some issues with the mini sd spring alright. I can say though, I've now put together 8 or 9 r4 cards for people in the last year and they've all worked without a hitch so far. Including several of which were given to kids (Probably the best endurance test any electronic device can get!)

2gb is indeed not enough for me. Especially with some games coming in at 120mb or so. It's like buying hard drives really. The more space you have the better. I'd go mad with being confined to a certain amount and that being that. Currently I have 2gb full and that's all games,apps and homebrew. I'd like to have some media, like maybe a whole season of a tv show on me too. That'd easily take up another gb. Films, after being compressed, usually clock in at 400mb or thereabouts. 4 films and that would be your 2gb almost full. Not to mention then there's quite a few games coming out soon. And even some music. (Be nice not to have to carry my mp3 player too)
    2gb is not going to allow for that choice. 4-5...maybe ;) two 2gb mini sd cards and an r4 should do all of that.

If you lose or damage the sd card you can easily buy a new one. I buy mine from China. €12 delivered for 1gb. €23 for 2gb. And if the Chinese are still making stuff for the GBA, I can't see them suddenly stopping production of mini sd any time soon. ;)

If you lose or damage a G6 you'll have to buy the whole thing again. So I wouldn't really filter that argument into a choice.

I'm not biased myself. I've never used a G6. Just the limit on the memory wouldn't really be acceptable to me. Especially on those 2 hour bus trips to college :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I have two r4 cards and I have had problems with the springs in both of them..All I did was take a bit of cellotape to fix it to stop the card from comming out and it works grand..

Each man to his own i guess!! But i know where you're coming from 01S1N. I have a psp and initially i had a 1gig card but it wasnt big enough. Now i have a 4gig and its still not big enough! Having said that, psp games are much bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Surely the G6 would be better for games where compatibility issues arise? I know that certain SD cards cause some games to err.
    Plus, how much do you really need on a card at any given time? Cant you just delete what your not using to make space for future stuff? The average person is not going to strain their eyes to watch movies through a DS all day and will probably just want it for games, hence the 2GB should suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Spuddie

o1s1n wrote:
    the only added "hardship" is inserting a mini sd card into the R4 card.
    animaX wrote:
    First, the R4 and M3 carts sometimes have poor build quality whereby the miniSD card will not latch into the cart, or will not pop out.
    Well lucky for us the R4 uses microSD cards, not miniSD, eh lads? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, for anyone looking to buy an R4 or M3 simply do not buy miniSD cards. MicroSD is the only type compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Anyone bought an R4 card recently?

I got mine from www.modchipstore.com but they are sold out and I dont fancy pre-ordering! So if anyone knows another reliable site which has one I would appreciate a link!

Cheers

Branners

realhotstuff are pretty good. Or you could just get an M3, G6 real or CycloDS from modchipstore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

My R4 card arrived last week and they have gotten rid of the spring mechanism.
    Website said they removed it because people were having so many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

i got mine last week from dealExtreme.
    no problems, like niall mc said no springs used now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Considering buying an R4 with a 2GB card because I'm travelling and sharing games right now but we're going seperate ways soon and so a dilemma will arise over ownership of the games so it would make sense for one or both of us to have an R4.

When people are saying 'Homebrew' what exact kind of apps are you talking about - as in what apps do you have and what are they doing etc? Feel free to point me to info if this is the wrong place...

a dilemma will arise over ownership of the games

There surely will be when you buy an R4!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Is there not a new r4 card comming out soon that can hold 32 gigs? thought I read that somehwere and that it was comming out soon :confused:
    My r4 spring broke but I just stuck some tape on it now and its grand :D

~Marky~ wrote: »
    Is there not a new r4 card comming out soon that can hold 32 gigs?

I think the new cart has a capacity of 32gigabits not gigabytes! Thats around 4gigabytes i think

I ordered mine yesterday and it will be arriving to me here in Sydney tomorrow.

I've ordered with a 2GB microSD - will the range of 4GB microSD cards making their way out work with the R4?

I've downloaded the R4 pack on the thread o1s1n posted (Kudos to o1s1n and witnessmenow).

Anyone else got any recommendations to make in regards decent homebrew etc. or can you recommend a site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Very new to the DS (Actually haven't bought it yet) but the girlfriend is looking for one.

Is the DS mod the same as the DS lite mod?

Is there a place I can read up on modding them?

Is it basically the same as the psp where it's a soft mod and no need for the mod chip?

do the new ds have new firmware that makes it difficult to mod?

like i said I'm new to the ds so any help would be appreciated!

oh ya has to be pink [Roll Eyes]

It is a soft mod. The R4 card we're all harping on about cradles a MicroSD card that will contain all your apps. The R4 card slots in just like a regular game and gives you the modded functionality. Piece of piss and I'm loving it.

So handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Just got an R4 and the documentation says it supports 4GB microSD

Advertisement