Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf spots in Cork ?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

Just moved to cork and I am looking to check the surf reports but not sure of the name of the beach breaks in the area around the city to check on surf-forecast.com or magic seaweed

anyone tell me the name of the beach breaks/

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Try www.windguru.cz, you can select the region there which will narrow down the spots. I've never been down there but I think the main beach breaks from what I've seen on here would be Garretstown and Inchydoney, not sure how close to the city they are. Try searching the this forum for other threads on the area maybe too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shane_OK

Cork Area or Garretsown really on MSW,I dont use surf-forecast so not sure.
    Where in Cork are you located?Good lot of places worth the spin if your near them but dont know where they are.
    Or try the incheydoney webcam on tubes.ie to check out the surf down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Machew

The nearest place to the city wuld be garretstown. Usually muck tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

ill be living beside CIT.. moving in tomorrow

ill be getting rid of the car after a month, is there a bus route to the beaches.. busses that accept 8ft 6 surf boards

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

fergal_d wrote: »

ill be getting rid of the car after a month, is there a bus route to the beaches.. busses that accept 8ft 6 surf boards

thanks guys

Unlikely I'm afraid. Maybe you could take a Bus Eireann bus as far as Clonakilty and thumb it out to Inchydoney from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Get to know some local surfers with cars

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fergal_d wrote: »

thanks guys

Are you going studying there? They'll surely have a surf club. You'll be able to bum lifts no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Have you thought about were your going to store your kit while your in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Surfers need cars in this country. Fact of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

There's a bus from town into Garretstown ok, timetable here
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1275643159-249.pdf
    Not sure if they'd take a big board, but pretty sure you're not the first to try, so worth asking. Maybe get yourself a nice short fish, specially for the bus!
    Like was said above, there's nothing special about G-town, no great shape to the wave, but it is close to town and the beach around the corner (GarryLucas) is highly underrated in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 UCFlash

I live in bandon, just started surfing and will be going 2 inchydoney a cpl times a week if i can,, so if you can get 2 bandon iv no prob givin ya a spin n e day im headin out.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

I live close to the city and head out as much as I can. Being able to split petrol money is always handy. Pm me if you're interested.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 estelle_626

Hey,
    I recently moved to cork. I'm looking for spots where i can continue my surfing.
    I'm not able to drive as i am under age but i can get someone to drive me, i just need to know the spots.
    Anything will help, i tried Bally Cotten... Didn't turn out well .. haha, just a place where i can have a nice surfing session.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Inchydoney is a lovely place to surf. Especially at low tide on a nice day. My favourite beach to surf in Ireland.

Garretstown is ok too but can be a bit messy. I've had great surfs on that beach though. Garylucas around the headland is ok too but tends to be mobbed with kitesurfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 david93bcn

Hi,
    My name is David, I'm from Barcelona and I moved to Cork city 1 month ago. I would like to meet people to go surfing. I don't have car but if someone wants to share the cost of the petrol and have some fun just tell me.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stokefarm

Hi,

my name is Phil, I'm in the same situation, as i just have moved to cork from germany. I came with my car and equipment and I'm willing to explore since west cork is not that consistent. If anybody wants to team up just let me know. cheers

@dave: u got a pm

Advertisement