Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BGS The Ryder Jug 2015 17th October @ Druids Glen

• 28-09-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so. Just under 3 weeks to go before we do battle against the Reps. Last year saw them take home the trophy, but this year, we want it back!

The Boards Golf Society Team this year will be the 10 qualifiers from the Order of Merit, (which dropped down 2 places due to unavailability)
    Seve OB
    RoadRunner
    3putt
    dwd
    Keano
    recycled
    charlieIRL
    FixedePitchmark
    ballyk
    Golfgraffix

And the 2 captains picks are
    tigerwood1
    spacecoyote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Honoured to get the Wildcard call up Captain & looking forward to doing my bit to take the Jug back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Folks,

Best of Luck in the Jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Changed my grip based on a youtube vid and now just got a new pair of golf shoes too.

These jokers haven't got a hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

84fa98881e0af18785d68c29e67a5517.jpg

They're only the ones i use for getting to the course on the bike fix.

Then I switch to these
    8e7cec5230d8171a363a90f3e4aadbae.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭bobster453

Best of luck guys
    BRING HOME THE BACON!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Less than a week to go. Excitement building. Practice non stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Best of luck lads!

Would love to be joining you but hit form too late. Enjoy the glen I hear it's stunning; might be wise to switch to the lined trousers though!

Well preparations are going well for the team.

One lad has built a shed.
    Another has a naked war dance ready.
    One lad has had no clubs for a while.
    One guy has painted his whole house and spent way too long in bleeding IKEA.
    One lad practiced in dark
    Another guy worked out why he was snap hooking it - in a diagram only.
    One lad has no blue shirt
    And one group that expected to win lost today in a practice
    One guy hasn't practiced - but made a lethal spreadsheet.
    One lad - we didn't even have his number.
    One lad got new shoes.
    Another, very very hard balls.

McGinely look out.

Of course all of that could be a spoof , underplaying - no team would ever prepare like that :p:D;)

one lad is a legend

• Advertisement

oh yea, and another lad has Seve's Miracle @ Medinah Jumper :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »
    one lad is a legend

gee thanks, am getting embarrassed now!!

Seve OB wrote: »
    one lad is a legend

calm down lads, it was just a snap hook

Lucky again.

Weather fantastic at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭a post punk

Lads best of luck the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Give him hell lads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Bring back that jug and don't let it go as tight as last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Best of luck tomorrow lads, sorry I couldn't make it but I know he can do the business and bring home the jug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Enjoy the game lads

Thanks guys
    Looking forward to tomorrow
    Druids is a cracking course. Only played it for the first time earlier this year despite living beside it for the best part of 10 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Best of luck to you tomorrow. Enjoy the day. Playing druids glen myself in 3 weeks. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you all tomorrow. Will be dying to hear good news so please get it up on boards as soon as you can ðŸ†

Well, today was a day of fear , anticipation , nervousness, preparation, hope, laughing and tears of a child.

The build up to this has been too much, too long and tiring.

Clubs being cleaned and last minute practice and planning. Team building , bad jokes, good jokes awful jokes and singing.

Definitely Seve has created a virtual team this time. You feel you know people a little more. We are all little scared to now know them a bit more :p:p

But we are almost there. We are literally going to be like greyhounds in a stall.

We would love to take The Jug back - but we know we have a serious battle on our hands, as the reps were a serious outfit last year.

At the end of the day we are going to one of the best courses out there in good weather in October. We will enjoy it and have a pint with all, after.

I'm not sure I could handle a build up as big again.

Over the last 24 hours -

We had a lad up a ladder.
    A Cinema trip to The Martian.
    A lad playing tennis with Pimms after.
    A lad with a wig drinking whiskey chasing a spider with a big stick

As for practice ,
    One lad had a few chips, Scampi with them were unreal.
    A rioja is on the way
    Another lad has a putting mat at a house warmer, he is showing girls how to putt and line up.
    One lad ran out of a driving range to stop himself buying an M1

Of course, none of that could be true - just trying to throw off "The Reps", looking in.

Catch all in the morning , the Rioja is airing.

No point in changing tradition now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭bobster453

C"mon the Blues

Best of Luck Team..........

May all your drives fly straight and true with all the putts dropping too.

1-1

Fix . Golfgraffix lost 4&3
    Keano Seven won 2 up

Boards need 2.5 from 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Not our greatest day but we didn't play too bad. We were giving shots to two good golfers. We were 5 down after 9 and halved every hole after that.

Well we won one when I called them on a rule, felt bad but it was the only way we could keep going.

Could have called them on 3 others but didn't,

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Guess things didn't go too well ?

3-3

Reps retain Ryder Jug :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Dwd and I ran into an unstoppable juggernaut today. One of the guys we were up against shot 41 points for the first 17 holes.

The only consolation for me was I came oh so close to my first hole in one. On the second hole I was sure it was going in. It finished here, see attached.

Not our greatest day but we didn't play too bad. We were giving shots to two good golfers. We were 5 down after 9 and halved every hole after that.

Well we won one when I called them on a rule, felt bad but it was the only way we could keep going.

Could have called them on 3 others but didn't,

Have to say I'm curious about the circumstances involved when you called them on a rule. How did that go down?

Sounds like you came up against a very strong team today or maybe they had a good day. I thought the boards team was a shoe in 😈
    Hard luck but hope you all enjoyed the course and the hype. There's always next year.

Can I ask a stupid question - who are the "reps" and who do they represent?

ballyk wrote: »
    Dwd and I ran into an unstoppable juggernaut today. One of the guys we were up against shot 41 points for the first 17 holes.

The only consolation for me was I came oh so close to my first hole in one. On the second hole I was sure it was going in. It finished here, see attached.

Great shot, that would have been really sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Macker1 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm curious about the circumstances involved when you called them on a rule. How did that go down?

Not well, but hey.

We were on 13 tee and 5 down, Fix and I were OB as was one of their players. I hit a Provo and their guy got up and hit another one, he never called it a provisional. When he walked down the fairway he found hid 1st ball, before he played it I asked him was he playing it? Even said that he had not called the provisional. All he had to do was play the second ball in play, even a 12 would have won the match. Once he hit it I had no choice but to call it.

This was also after the fact that I had warned him on two earlier instances of staying on his partners line during a putt.

I don't think fix was too happy with me but I see no difference here to any rule break.

Next hole I just missed my birdie to win the hole, it could have gotten interesting if that had of went in.

J

Not well, but hey.

We were on 13 tee and 5 down, Fix and I were OB as was one of their players. I hit a Provo and their guy got up and hit another one, he never called it a provisional. When he walked down the fairway he found hid 1st ball, before he played it I asked him was he playing it? Even said that he had not called the provisional. All he had to do was play the second ball in play, even a 12 would have won the match. Once he hit it I had no choice but to call it.

This was also after the fact that I had warned him on two earlier instances of staying on his partners line during a putt.

I don't think fix was too happy with me but I see no difference here to any rule break.

Next hole I just missed my birdie to win the hole, it could have gotten interesting if that had of went in.

J
    Once you warned him you had to call it or he could have called you for ignoring the rules of golf. You had demonstrated to him that you were aware of what he was doing so you had no choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Great shot, that would have been really sweet

It certainly would. It looked like their guy was in close to the hole so it was nice to hit it inside him. As it turned out he was further away than it looked. Unfortunately that was the only time we were in the lead.

Gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well had the pleasure of recycled for a partner today & we played as a team from the outset.

Recycled is an experienced matchplay golfer & it showed. We both kept each other confident & had a positive word if the other looked a bit down after a poor shot.

We dovetailed really well throughout & raced into an early lead, were 5 up through 7. 8 was a bit of a miracle half, the 2 boys stuck their balls onto the green, myself & recycled both bunkered.I somehow found the touch to knock it to 2 feet from the bunker & we took a half. A sloppy 3 putt from me on 9, and a miracle 2 putt from one of the opposition left us 4 up after 9.

That win on 9 seemed to spur the lads on & they got back to within 1 of us through 13. Then on 14 Denis played 2 great shots. We stuck with the Philip Walton quote...if you've 2 putts to win the hole take them. Denis did that perfectly & we were back out to 2. The next 3 were all halved. Again on 17 a fantastic bunker shot from Denis put the pressure on the opposition birdie putt. They missed, we halved & the match was done.

There was a bit of luck in both sides, with them having a real miracle on the index 1 13th, lucky drive just carried the stream, sliced 2nd into the trees that somehow ended up back out on the narrow piece of fairway by the water. Then he thinned his pitch which ran through the green but somehow held the first cut to stay out of the water.he made a very good up & down then, but should never have been in the hole.

Our match was played in very good spirits overall, no real gamesmanship shown on either side.

A great day out, just a pity we couldn't get it done overall as a team for our captain.

thanks for the pick captain & thanks for a great year of golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Not well, but hey.

J
    Huh dirty, and actually yes you do have a choice in matchplay, it's an often overlooked aspect of that format.
    Also by calling him on it in such trivial circumstances only leads to one thing bad feelings, especially given the state of the match at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Well had the pleasure of recycled for a partner today & we played as a team from the outset.

Recycled is an experienced matchplay golfer & it showed. We both kept each other confident & had a positive word if the other looked a bit down after a poor shot.

We dovetailed really well throughout & raced into an early lead, were 5 up through 7. 8 was a bit of a miracle half, the 2 boys stuck their balls onto the green, myself & recycled both bunkered.I somehow found the touch to knock it to 2 feet from the bunker & we took a half. A sloppy 3 putt from me on 9, and a miracle 2 putt from one of the opposition left us 4 up after 9.

That win on 9 seemed to spur the lads on & they got back to within 1 of us through 13. Then on 14 Denis played 2 great shots. We stuck with the Philip Walton quote...if you've 2 putts to win the hole take them. Denis did that perfectly & we were back out to 2. The next 3 were all halved. Again on 17 a fantastic bunker shot from Denis put the pressure on the opposition birdie putt. They missed, we halved & the match was done.

There was a bit of luck in both sides, with them having a real miracle on the index 1 13th, lucky drive just carried the stream, sliced 2nd into the trees that somehow ended up back out on the narrow piece of fairway by the water. Then he thinned his pitch which ran through the green but somehow held the first cut to stay out of the water.he made a very good up & down then, but should never have been in the hole.

Our match was played in very good spirits overall, no real gamesmanship shown on either side.

A great day out, just a pity we couldn't get it done overall as a team for our captain.

thanks for the pick captain & thanks for a great year of golf

Everyone prepared and did their best - It is very disappointing to lose because you feel you left the team down, I know I was their myself last year.

We started very strong when Fix sent a screamer up the first, & the opposite drives went amuck. Felt great to see.

I got a lucky break in Seve picking Spacecoyte to fill the gap. Very enjoyable to play with a fine striker of the ball. I was settled from the word go- parred the first. Space parred the 2nd, dove tailing all day. Every one knows the game plan. When it works the game is on, such is golf.

The shot of the day was Spacecote bunker save was unreal, coming out of a bunker down hill & to kill it at 2 feet. They had just birdied the previous hole and their tails were up, both on the green and we were both in the bunker.cool.png

Nice guys we enjoyed the banter, getting members bounce's all over the place.tongue.png

In the dining room Tiger was gas, slagging off everyone, great spirit, and what he had planned for next year .... He finished up with arranging a team event for Heritage.
    Back on the saddle - the way to go - good man Tiger. tongue.pngtongue.png

What a year- like the professional PGA tournaments-well done Seve and the background boys -ye can take a bow icon14.png

• Advertisement

Well, Seve's dream is over. The team dream is over.

At the end of the day it was 3-3 and from listening to the tales - we had a real chance of 3.5 points. A real good chance.

So it proves it is hard to win back the cup once gone.

Some great performances on the wins, well done lads.

We didn't play bad in our group - but a bizarre sequence of events - lost balls - wrong balls - finds and we turned 4 down. Was a very strange feeling being that far behind - without doing that much wrong.
    I guess we didn't make the putts we needed to - or a big drainer , we just never got any momentum.

I have to say my own putting was poor - (has been for the last few weeks. Bad timming as I putted well all summer). A path problem has drifted in.

Is something I will sort - but timing is everything.

Hit some very very good irons and was happy with my game. Driving was very good - mid irons very good, wedges only ok.

Thanks to the captain - I think the pairings were very very good , and a logical approach with personalities / friends. I think this has been and will be a problem with a group of lads that don't play together much - but this will improve more with time.

The champagne ("Cava") cooled in the water at 18 - opened in loss and shared with the victors was a nice touch.

A real rivalry is forming. Interesting stuff.

I love the course - I've placed it at number 1 now on my parkland. I normally get a feel for a hole after a while, but 13 there has me totally flummoxed.
    Love the run from 6 all the way to 14.

Was a class year , fun and laughs, good golf, great golf , slow golf, fast golf, bad golf, great courses, nice food, unreal weather.

Catch some at some stage.

To the others - we shared a great year.

Best of luck J in 2016 - sounds another great year on the way.

Can I ask a stupid question - who are the "reps" and who do they represent?

I'd also like to know more about them?

All I heard is that they were another society. But how big are they?

Doubt there's any society bigger then the boards one. Do they have the same players on the team each year?
    As this would but the boards society at a disadvantage as they would know each other better imo.

How did the rivalry come about?

P.S I think its great by the way! Really gives you something to play for all year like the Pro's in a small scale :D

benny79 wrote: »
    I'd also like to know more about them?

All I heard is that they were another society. But how big are they?

Doubt there's any society bigger then the boards one. Do they have the same players on the team each year?
    As this would but the boards society at a disadvantage as they would know each other better imo.

How did the rivalry come about?

P.S I think its great by the way! Really gives you something to play for all year like the Pro's in a small scale :D

Once you put a trophy up in front of golfers , most people are competitive , and the people picked have done well in the previous year in their own societies.

So we definitely were up for it and they were too.

It has been played for a couple of times - I think sequence is Boards , Boards , Reps , Reps - so you now have a bit of history.

Both teams had golfers in good form going into the event.

Sure it was 3-3 this year, lost by a 1/2 last year , so has been very very tight and you know how important your match is.

Good fun and a good test of your game, for what at the end of the day is a society event.
    Would be good practice for anyone who wants to a some stage move towards interclub.

How big is their society though?

And how did the Reps vs Boards society's come about?

Over to Keano - Big Chap and Charlie for this ,

Seve may know a bit too.

A few others around a while like ssbob , ben, golfgraffix, Ballyk.

They are an unusual society too - as we are a very unusual one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Technodub on here is a member of the Reps society and got in contact with us here a few years ago when the reps were playing a similar competition against another society and were let down the week or so before the event. We put a team together of the first 12 available golfers and played against them in Mount Wolseley (AFAIR) After that we said we would put a team out against them every year and the Ryder Jug was conceived. It was after this that it gained momentum here and we put the points system in place to pick a fair way of picking 12 to go through to the event.

Reps is actually the oldest society in Ireland at the moment.

There was only 4 lads we recognised on Saturday from previous years, am not sure how many now play in their society.

They aren't as big as us. Average might be only just over 20 per outing from what I gathered at brief discussions the other day.

I think they used to be a society of "Reps" but think that has evolved over the years to mean nothing, and they are just a society who will take anyone ;) One of the aul geezers I played against the other day got into it through Irish Dancing :rolleyes:

Seem to be predominantly south Dublin based

I think they used to play this once a year match against another society (a pub maybe) who folded a few years ago.

Technodub is on boards and initially posted looking for another society to fill the gap and this was around the time as the Boards Society was starting up.

Until they played against Boards, it was just for Pride, but when this match started, the Ryder Jug was introduced.

2012 - Mount Wolsley - Boards Won
    2013 - The Heritage - 3-3 Boards Retain
    2014 - Tullamore - 3 1/2 - 2 1/2 Reps Win
    2015 - Druids Glen - 3-3 Reps Retain :mad::(

Good story adds character to the competition!

I'm going to be well up for making the team in 2016! My main goal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Still think a playoff is the best way to decide these type of event, the tie to retain thing is a bit of a downer on bot sides no?

Yea, but the same happens in the Ryder cup so adds flair and gives the advance to the holders which makes winning it more special imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement