Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Vista/ Torrents

Options
  • 16-02-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

recently ive been trying to download avi files (full length movies) from pirate bay through bittorrent. the files are downloading fine but as soon as i go to play them WMP opens an error box saying i do not have enough memory and i should close all programmes ad start again (which i have tried with the same box appearing time after time). This is a new laptop with 3Gig ram so i dont understand what the problem is. Has anyone else come across this problem or would know how to fix it???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

recently ive been trying to download avi files (full length movies) from pirate bay through bittorrent. the files are downloading fine but as soon as i go to play them WMP opens an error box saying i do not have enough memory and i should close all programmes ad start again (which i have tried with the same box appearing time after time). This is a new laptop with 3Gig ram so i dont understand what the problem is. Has anyone else come across this problem or would know how to fix it???:confused:

Download VLC Player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

brilliant piece of software.. it should solve your problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Don't think it's a memory issue, but rather a bug with MP. I'd go with the above and use VLC player. I use it for everything, never had a problem with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Check your Virtual Memory size in Vista.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/89ca317f-649d-40a6-8934-e5707ee5c4b81033.mspx
    If it's set to 0 you'll get that message. Let the system manage your virtual memory for you.

The files your downloading are definitely videos? What's their extension? AVI / Divx / mpg etc.

Using VLC is an option but there's no reason that a video shouldn't play in Media Player either as long as you have the correct codecs installed. So have you got the correct codecs installed. I normally throw the Klite mega pack on and never have any issues with codecs afterwards.

http://www.codecguide.com/about_mega.htm

Edit: I forgot the obvious. Open up Task Manager (hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose Task Manager). Click the show processes from all users and sort by Mem Usage. Is there anything suspicious there? If you select View and Select Columns add in the Virtual Memory Size counter. See if any processes are using way more than you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭The-Ry-Man06

I just checked the virtual memory size there it seems to be running at 3369mb. I wasnt sure what size the processes should be but there all running at around 50K to 250K so i pressume thats alright.

Yea the files which arent working are avi's but mpeg's work fine(which were also downloaded through bittorrent).
    Im not sure about the codecs. It comes up "codec aquired" at the bottom of WMP before the error box pops up though so im not sure if that will do it.?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Well then, try VLC that Cronin_j linked to or the Klite pack that I linked to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭The-Ry-Man06

Well then, try VLC that Cronin_j linked to or the Klite pack that I linked to.

rite ill give that a try, cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

thread closed and user banned
    don't ask how to play pirated movies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

thread closed and user banned
    don't ask how to play pirated movies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement