Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audio over HDMI problems with a 4870

• 15-02-2009 2:40am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm using windows 7 beta build 7000. I have my 4870 connecting to my sony DWG700 via HDMI cable (using the DVI > HDMI adapter that came with the graphics card). I then connect that to my samsung T240 via a HDMI cable.

I get video fine but I get no audio. I've disabled the on board audio incase it was conflicting. I'm using catalyst drivers 9.1 (I think, it's definitely 9. something) and the realtek 2.69 drivers.

I can't figure this out for the life of me. Has any one had this problem and sorted it or know what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers for any help guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Can dvi carry audio? :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DVI does not support Audio.

Cush you have Realtek Digital Output set as the primary/default playback device?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Can dvi carry audio? :s

Yes it can carry audio it just normally doesn't. That's why you need to use the included DVI > HDMI adapter.
    Overheal wrote: »
    DVI does not support Audio.

Cush you have Realtek Digital Output set as the primary/default playback device?

Since disabling the on boards sound I only have one device in the sound options. This is the "Realtek HDMI output".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Dirtt_Diver

It doesn't carry sound, the sound card is for sound and the graphics card is for graphics, get an audio out cable and use both, not sure what HD sound sounds like but must be good!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It doesn't carry sound, the sound card is for sound and the graphics card is for graphics, get an audio out cable and use both, not sure what HD sound sounds like but must be good!:D
    The 4000 series graphics cards do both audio and video (the 2000 and 3000 series did as well). There is no need for a seperate sound card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

The 4000 series graphics cards do both audio and video (the 2000 and 3000 series did as well). There is no need for a seperate sound card.

Just backing you up here. Hes right, it does support audio. Did you connect the additional wire from the card to board for audio?

Just backing you up here. Hes right, it does support audio. Did you connect the additional wire from the card to board for audio?
    I didn't know there was one. I thought the 4870 had the chip on the card and didn't just pass through the motherboards audio. I didn't get any audio cable with the card that I can see.

Looks like it isn't the 4870. I hooked my PS3 up and it's not playing any sound either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

First off the 4870 doesn't require the spidf connector like the Nvidia range of cards.
    You'll get sound straight from the hmi-dvi connector.
    I really wish people would stop giving completely wrong advice on pc forums.

Op..I've noticed you've been a very naughtly mod and double posted this in separate forums :D
    Anyway glad to see you fixed it..and remember...RTFM :P

Op..I've noticed you've been a very naughtly mod and double posted this in separate forums :D

You'll see I only posted that thread after I realised that it wasn't down to the graphics card. I'm a good boy me. :)
    Anyway glad to see you fixed it..and remember...RTFM :P

Manuals are for pussies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Manuals are for pussies.

If everyone read the manuals we wouldn't have the classic RTFM :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Advertisement