Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy going in to be spayed

Options
  • 04-01-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

My little girl is going in to be spayed and I'm a little concerned. Not so much about the operation - although she is a pug and there can be complications due to their short noses. The thing that's concerning me is that she will be dropped in at 9.30am and then i can't collect her until the next day!

The vet has said that there will be a nurse that will look in on her and be there. However, I'm still concerned as she has never been away from us for a night. Also, the thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240 has me concerned where someone's dog was not looked after sufficiently.

I would much prefer to have her home so I can keep an eye on her and so she will know that she isn't on her own or abandoned. Maybe I'm just worrying over nothing but I would have thought that waking up in her own home with her people around would be much more comforting when she's recovering. Is this common practice for a dog to stay the night even after being there for the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It's not usual, no. But maybe the vet has a good reason for the stay? Have you asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Hi OP, usually the only practices that keep the dog overnight after spays are ones which have specific all-night staff. For example, UCD Vet Hospital keep all spays and castrates overnight as routine, because they have special nighttime staff looking in on the dogs all the time.

Most ordinary vet practices which don't have people in-building all night send them home.

I would say you should ask your vet if the nurse will actually be in the building overnight. If not, I'm sure they'll understand if you reuest to bring her home instead.

(The only exception I can think of is that if she has any underlying health problems etc, then you should definitely keep her in with them if they advise it, as she may need fluids etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

So this vet practice (not ucd) has hospital status or something because he did mention something along those lines. So I guess it has emergency status and perhaps they do have all-night staff... I'm going to confirm this with the vet this evening I think to make sure.

If there's someone there at all times then I would be ok about it because I know she'll be groggy and asleep for pretty much the whole time. As long as she's not left on her own for hours.

Advertisement