Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vets etc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

The vaccine that the breeder gives at 6 weeks is usually only for parvo. So your vet is right that you need to get 2 'full' vaccines after this, 2-3 weeks apart from each other. The 2 'full' vaccines cover for lepto & then what a lot of people call the 5-in-1 or 6-in-1 (which includes parvo, amongst a few others).

boxerly wrote: »
    My CKC Max died in the vets about 14 years ago:( They obviously operated late in the evening and he died after hours on his own:( (cardiac arrest).No body around or nobody checking on him:(.OP I hope your doggie gets well soon,its very upseting to see them sick like that.

Aw, that's sad. :( Most vets these days only operate in the mornings so that they can give maximum post-op supervision, although complicationsin healthy dogs are very rare after they've woken up to be honest. If it's an emergency that comes in in the evening, then they'll operate then of course, but usually most ops are done in the mornings now.

I saw you mention that your boxer died recently in another thread, commiserations. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

dvet wrote: »
    Aw, that's sad. :( Most vets these days only operate in the mornings so that they can give maximum post-op supervision, although complicationsin healthy dogs are very rare after they've woken up to be honest. If it's an emergency that comes in in the evening, then they'll operate then of course, but usually most ops are done in the mornings now.

I saw you mention that your boxer died recently in another thread, commiserations. :(

Thank you x yes I had to have him pts 3 weeks ago,massive stomach tumour found and he also had dialated cardiomyopathy :(I decided not to operate as he was 11.5 and he wouldnt have made it.I held him wrapped in his blanket in our sitting room as he fell asleep forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

In my opinion getting to know the right Vet is essential. My Vet opened a couple of years ago & I went out of my way to get to know her. As well as being professionally excellent she now knows me & my experience with animals. She knows that she can straight talk in a way that she might not with other clients.

One problem is that staff turnover & rotation at larger practices means that you don't see the same Vet & don't get the chance to get to know them. You may think that the prices are high but they are far lower than in the UK.

I feel for you Boxerly. My last boxer had a massive heart attack at 10pm. I phoned the Vet & arranged to meet them at the practice. The Vet was young & very newly qualified - they had a problem with two Vets being ill so she had to cover.

She made a couple of attempts to find a vein for the euthanasia but the poor guy had no blood pressure. I ended up saying that it would have to be direct into the heart & I ended up holding her hand to steady the syringe. We both ended up in floods of tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

OMG how awful Im so sorry :( xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

That is so terribly sad. It brought a lump to my throat. I cant bear to read things like that. I am so sorry for you:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I felt for the Vet because she was thrown in at the deep end & didn't even have a nurse for support. I sent her a bunch of flowers as I didn't want her to feel that it was her fault. At least the heart attack was at home. A previous Boxer dropped dead on a walk & I had to carry him for two miles back home !. I always thought that he would of loved the idea of that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

ISDW wrote: »
    Are you sure the one at 6 weeks was parvo and lepto? Usually a vet will only give the parvo at 6 weeks, then the puppy will get the 5-in-1 or 7-in-1 at 8 weeks, and then the booster for that 2 weeks later.

When you typed that the person you got the pup from said it got its first vaccine at 6 weeks, did they give you a vaccination card with that information on it, with a vet's stamp or signature?

yes, i got the card, with two stickers on it, one said Parvo C and the other one something about lepto.. that's why i presumed only one vaccine was left. And yeah, had a Vet signature on it.

I'm just dying to get the dog out for walks, i dont want to risk it if it's not totally vaccinated, but i'm afraid the dog is getting big and wont be able to properly toilet train him if i can't get him out of the house soon.. at the moment he's doing it all over the place!!!

amira wrote: »
    yes, i got the card, with two stickers on it, one said Parvo C and the other one something about lepto.. that's why i presumed only one vaccine was left. And yeah, had a Vet signature on it.

I'm just dying to get the dog out for walks, i dont want to risk it if it's not totally vaccinated, but i'm afraid the dog is getting big and wont be able to properly toilet train him if i can't get him out of the house soon.. at the moment he's doing it all over the place!!!

You are still definitely better off getting a 3rd vaccine. It is not just about the number of boosters but the age of the pup when they are given.

I'll try to explain without getting too technical! When puppies are vaccinated at 6 weeks old, the immunity given is minimal and only lasts for a week or two. This is because of the effect of antibodies in the bitch's milk cancelling out those in the vaccine. It is actually not essential to get a pup vaccinated at 6 weeks at all, but there seems to be a trend by breeders to give a vaccine then.

It is after the pup is weaned at the age of 8-10 weeks (ish), that the pup's immune system is ready for the 2 boosters that will protect it for the rest of the year.

If the breeder told you he only needed one more vaccine then I'm afraid they were either misleading you, or were mistaken themselves. The vaccination issue is pretty complex I know, but if you have any other questions on it feel free to ask!

As for keeping him inside, if you have a garden you can definitely bring him out there, as long as he has no direct contact with other dogs. If you have to bring him outside to a communal area with lots of dogs roaming around then you are definitely right not to risk it yet!

Advertisement