Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SS feedback thread

Options
  • 27-12-2010 12:51pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, while it's still fresh in everyone's mind I'd just like to get people's thoughts and opinions on the Secret Santa, mostly to see if could be improved in any way.

This thread is for everyone who took part, those who didn't see it in time, those who didn't take part because they were unsure or had reservations about it and for everyone who was following the progress ;). Mod input gratefully appreciated.

For those who took part:
    How did you find the deadlines?
    The suggested price?
    Anything else really you want to say about it?

For those who didn't:
    Did you have any specific concerns about giving out your personal info or how it was done ect.

Mods:
    Hope it wasn't too much of a pain in the butt!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

For those who took part:
    The suggested price?

First off well done, you ran it brilliantly. The deadline was fine, my biggest problem was I never read the fine print to begin with so it sort of caught me out. I suppose maybe encourage those interested next time to "follow" the thread. The suggested price was fine, but I had not factored in the cost of postage was (in my case) was over half the cost again of what I'd spent on the person. Not sure is there much of a way around this and probably my own fault as I bought awkward shaped gifts! (round). Apart from this it was thoroughly enjoyable and you are brill for doing it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think a lot of the fine print was down to concerns by the mods about personal information, so maybe the 'important' details got lost in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi.
    I want to second what Tommy said about everything being run extremely well. Sure, there there one or two hiccups but that was only to be expected and that did not take from it in anyway at all.
    I found the deadlines perfect and there was sufficient time between each one to allow for any delays etc.
    As regards the price, I think if it is to be revised at all it should be upwards - maybe to between €10 and €20 - although this may not find agreement with everyone. But, if it stays at €10 the postage should remain as an additional cost as it's very hard to get a nice pressive for under €10.
    Overall I think it was a huge success and I think it will be even bigger next year! If there's a way that more of us could help with the organisation I would certainly be up for that.
    They whole thing made Christmas really extra special this year and it was a really worthwhile. Thanks again to AJ for all her work and roll on next year! I'm really going to miss this thread and all the wonderful people on it! We should have a summer reunion to all stay in touch:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I thought it ran brilliantly for the first time ever doing it. Well done. I thought the price guide was fine also with more than enough time to buy and post it for the deadline. My only criticism (and its really very small) was there were too many rules to read at the start. Im still not sure if i ticked everything i was meant to. Thats really it tbh. I had great craic reading the thread and finally getting to the 22nd to open the pressies. It cheered my xmas up anyway. Ill definitely participate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Cheered up my snowed in christmas 100% and very well ran, fair play aj.

The deadlines were perfect and gave plenty of time for problems like getting snowed in :D.

The price I think was fine, I think it should be encouraged to stick close to the €10 and count postage as seperate. For some people 20 could make them think twice about taking part.

I would like to see more people posting pics, maybe you can make it compulsary :p

I think it was brilliantly done this year. I was going to suggest creating a sig to get more notice for the thread, but then that would cause concerns about giving addresses out and of course create more work for poor AJ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I think everyone passed their accounting finals anyway :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Whispered wrote: »

I think it was brilliantly done this year. I was going to suggest creating a sig to get more notice for the thread, but then that would cause concerns about giving addresses out and of course create more work for poor AJ.

That's not a bad idea! I only really post in API myself so I don't think there would be any issues with a sig appearing here but not sure what would happen when it would appear on other parts of boards.

What about using the sig idea and setting it up as a social group rather than using the main API forum? This would mean it would all be in the same place but we could have different threads rather than one that is 20 pages long. I could also have more control over editing old posts or have an update thread or something. I thought about it for about 2 seconds and thought no one would see it, but if frequent posters on the forum had it on their sig it would still get round to interested people.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

For those who took part:
    The suggested price?

hi, i thought the whole thing was brilliant, went very well. deadlines were great, had loads of time to shop and post. i would prob stick to the 10 euro plus postage, more affordable for everyone.
    i hope it happens again next year, if we can do anything to help out just let us know :D

That's not a bad idea! I only really post in API myself so I don't think there would be any issues with a sig appearing here but not sure what would happen when it would appear on other parts of boards.

What about using the sig idea and setting it up as a social group rather than using the main API forum? This would mean it would all be in the same place but we could have different threads rather than one that is 20 pages long. I could also have more control over editing old posts or have an update thread or something. I thought about it for about 2 seconds and thought no one would see it, but if frequent posters on the forum had it on their sig it would still get round to interested people.
    I was going to suggest that but didn't want to complicate things for you.

I was going to suggest that but didn't want to complicate things for you.

I don't think it would make it more complicated at all, it should make it a bit more streamlined and user-friendly and after all I have a year to do it;) Think I should find it a bit easier next year as well having now figured out the easiest way to keep track of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Hi All,

I think it was run brilliantly, well done again AJ.

Deadlines were fine, even with the bad weather delaying some of us (well me anyway!)

The price was fine and I think everyone expected postage to cost a bit so best to stick to 10 euro ahead and count postage seperate as has already been said. Those who went over did so by choice.

I do agree that some of the important parts of the rules may have gotten lost in the different posts at the start so if they could be in one post next time they might be a bit clearer. :D

I'm one of those who didn't post a photo yet but will do so tonight, promise!

Looking forward to doing it all again next year!

On reflection I think everyone is right about sticking to the €10 - I was just getting carried away by the excitement of this year and all the things I'd like to have bought! I sort of feel a bond with the two pets I bought for - Rosie and Tilly - and looking at their lovely faces in the pictures made me feel I would have loved to have bought them more!!
    I can't wait until next year - I really enjoyed it!
    Now I'm going to make a total nerd of myself and ask what's a "sig"?:eek:

Your signature - eg: look under my post and you will see the link to an RB owners group.

The signature might say

"Join the boards Pet Secret Santa 2011" and a link to the thread/group. Then when we post in other forums, it will appear under the posts, generating interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I actually dont think a link in the Sigs is a good idea (i dont have that option turned on anyway). 20 people joined up on the first go, with little or no "advertising" bar one thread in here which was then disguised as "accounting finals" which in retrospect was a great idea. I follow a lot of forums on Boards...and lets just put it like this, not everyone on the site is as decent as the bunch we got for this first SS. By posting in other forums i think it'll just increase the chances of finding a messer who wont be genuine and would be likely to back out and think nothing of it. I also think having (as an exaggeration,but could be a possibility) 100+ users doing it,due to increased advertising of it would be a total nightmare to keep track of. AJ im sure even keeping track of 20 was enough work in itself. I dunno just my 2 cents. I actually think putting a limit of the amount of people doing would be my way of going about it. It keeps it easier to organise, more personal and decreases the chance of people likely to back out and ruin one persons experience of it.There was a 100% success rate with 20 people, im just not convinced that could be upheld above say 40 people.

. I was going to suggest creating a sig to get more notice for the thread, but then that would cause concerns about giving addresses out and of course create more work for poor AJ.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    I actually dont think a link in the Sigs is a good idea <snip>.

yes there is no way to guarantee people not backing out. I agree that it would be too much work for AJ. :) It would be fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Only seen this thread this morn, but here's my tuppance worth.

Congrats to AJ for organising it all, and ensuring that it ran so smoothly. Even the snow cldn't stop it.

I thought the deadlines were grand...plenty of time to shop and buy your present and post it. I think the early postal deadline worked really well this year, when post was disrupted. I know some people were a bit late receiving their gifts, but everyone had them well in advance of the 22nd.

The suggested price?
    All things considered, I thought €10 was the right maximum spend. We don't really know people's personal situations. €20 might put some people off, especially as the finances are already so stretched at Christmas. I think we all got extremely good value for the money and everyone seemed genuinely delighted with what they received.

I don't think I'd like to see it extended too much bigger that it becomes very inpersonal. I'm not the biggest poster on here, but I would hate to see people signing up and not contributing to the thread after that.

Maybe when we're signing up for it next year, we could send in a 2 or 3 line biog of our pet. Might make it easier for the person buying.

Once again tho, well done to AJ for organising it so well and I wouldn't mind helping you next year if you needed a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

Hello

It would be good to have more info about pets, including age:-)

I think it would be a really good idea to ave some information about the pets posted when we sign up. Especially in relation to such matters as allergies etc. I know it was stated in the general rules in the beginning but some people may not have read them fully and there were a few treats included in pressies that could not be enjoyed!!
    Plus it would be great to know if a pet can have treats and what kind they would like. Or if they require "indestructible" item like the average loveable terrier:eek::D!
    Mine loved their pressies and I hope (and think) that the ones I sent were all ok. Again (and I'm like a broken record at this stage!!) it was a brilliant idea and made Christmas really special this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Rosie really loved her Secret Santa present.....

Theres food in here somewhere......
    DSC_0163-1.jpg

No you cant have it, it's mine
    DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

Sorry Shazanne :o, but she really did love it, never seen her play with a toy as much

antomagoo wrote: »
    Rosie really loved her Secret Santa present.....

:pac::pac: Poppy got a squeeky santa that also got 'loved to death'. His face was mauled, one of his legs was amputated, re-attached and amputated again, his stuffing was forcably removed through his shoulder with the squeeker which was killed. He's been put back together though (mostly) on account that he was loved so much and after the source of the noise was found and dispatched of he was used as a pillow so he's been going to bed with her since :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Rosie is currently curled up in bed with her santa tucked firmly under her chin :rolleyes:

Advertisement