Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canine good citizen

Options
  • 11-12-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyboady got this award from the Irish kennel club,thier doesnt seem to be alot of information on it,is it run like the one in the uk,bronze,sliver gold etc.

do you do all the training etc yourself and just apply to the kennel club to sit your test,or do you have to sign up to do training classes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I am also interested in this if anyone is familiar with it.
    I assume you carry out all the training yourself, the test is carried out at dog shows/meetings during the year, I am going to wait till the next one is on so i can go along and see what is involved exactly and so train the dog accordingly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

...anyboady ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Contact the IKC and ask where and who are running the classes. Its not like the UK version as there is only one type, just the good citizen award, not gold, silver etc like the UK, and there arent many people doing the classes.

I did mine in Navan at classes there but hes not doing classes there anymore so not sure if he is doing them anywhere else.

Tried to ring them earlier and got no aswer,and whenever ive emailed I never got a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Tried to ring them earlier and got no aswer,and whenever ive emailed I never got a reply.

They are a bloody disaster to deal with. Doubt you will get a reply by email, but you need to let the phone keep ringing and when you hang up, ring straight back again and let it ring as long as possible. They will eventually pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

You could try ringing a secretary of a breed club. I find that they are usually more helpful than ringing the IKC HQ. The last girl I tried to deal with was uninterested and not forth coming with information....... it was only a query regarding the training they run!

If you get any info it would be great if you could share it. ;)

Andreac as you have already done the course could you run a course? Just a thought ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

its very hard to get info on it. i have a dog ready for the test but cant get someone to do it. i was told that most dog trainers can do it for you but i'd rather do it with someone who has actually put dogs through it. if you can find someone to do it for you let me know please and i'll do same. in uk and england info is widespread on it compaed to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

When I had my dog at training classes (about 4 years ago) the person teaching the classes said she could organise an exam if enough people were interested, I didn't go through with it (classes were in Inch in Wicklow/Wexford). Looking at the IKC site http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=78&Itemid=79 seems to be the same tests we were preparing for and seems like you have to get a recognised trainer/local Society to organise a test occasion. I could well be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The working trials club of Ireland (www.wtci.ie) organise good citizen classes and tests. Maybe email them and find out when the next test is on.

Got back to looking at doing this,ive emailed the WTCI
    can someone confirm this form me
    http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=78&Itemid=79

It says for the test that all part are to be conducted by the examiner.:eek:
    I assume that means theyll ask the dog to Lie..Stay..Recall....etc surely you should be doing this ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement