Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon buys Twitch for $970 Million

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just don't water down Twitch chat please Kappa.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1KgWlPa6dpRTsPcQ5T6vtM5MgXKLZ9qIT5KHcsuKjipwWhRlK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm happy that Youtube may get some competition but I'm still worried about how Amazon will deal with the DMCA issues (i.e. will they end up with a similar BS system as Youtube has)...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I actually find it fascinating that people actually subscribe to watch people they don't know play games :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Cormac... wrote: »
    I actually find it fascinating that people actually subscribe to watch people they don't know play games :eek::rolleyes:

I mean, its not like you have to subscribe to watch them. I'm honestly not too sure why anyone subscribes to anything but some of the esport channels (Some of the Korean leagues only offer HD streams and VODS to subscribers) since you generally only gain the ability to post if "Subscriber" mode is on or something.

I guess some of the streams do sub games or whatever too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Magill wrote: »
    I mean, its not like you have to subscribe to watch them. I'm honestly not too sure why anyone subscribes to anything but some of the esport channels (Some of the Korean leagues only offer HD streams and VODS to subscribers) since you generally only gain the ability to post if "Subscriber" mode is on or something.

Subscription can also avoid the commercials that are set by the streamer (for example every 15 min there's a 30s add break).
    OSI wrote: »
    Expect it to be much worse given that Amazon have a financial interest in doing so.
    Yes but you are unlikely to bother to watch someone stream a movie (youtube issue) and they could easily tie things back to their store (song X playing in the background = link to buy said song via their store for example). They could also go 110% draconian as well; hence my comment on it :)

Magill wrote: »

I've Fixed my post, only time I'd watch someone play a game is on youtube for Advice (zelda if we're stuck, Starcraft 2 build orders, tip and advice), but just live streaming... no thanks :)

I've Fixed my post, only time I'd watch someone play a game is on youtube for Advice (zelda if we're stuck, Starcraft 2 build orders, tip and advice), but just live streaming... no thanks :)
    I usually have twitch going on my second monitor while playing something else. For example I watched the CS tournament last weekend in Germany (Go NIP!) or I'll watch a Heartstone video on a new deck (helps to understand how they play when going up against them). On occasion I'll even watch "Lets Play" (for example I'm following a person playing through the XCom Long War mod atm which is a free mod to the basic game),

Personally live or via Youtube don't make that much of a difference to me but I find it handy.

Its not for everyone, for me I mostly just watch the tournament streams (Lol/CS:GO/Dota) and sometimes i'll "watch" (Usually i'll just have it on my second monitor as an alternative to some music or whatever) pro streams to pick up some new tricks and tips in MP games.

Some of the speedrun stuff is pretty cool too I find. TBH a lot of the channels on twitch are essentially just live "Lets plays" and they're pretty popular.

Horse for courses I guess, I can't see me whipping out the popcorn and beer for it though. But hey, each to their own. 2nd monitor system is such a scourge, now Its hard to be occupied by just one media/game/show at a time :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd never pay money to watch, but the odd time, I'll dip in and out to see how better players than me (everybody:mad:) approach maps etc in FPS games, just to pick up tips on lines of sight, cover spots, flanking routes.

Its amazing what you'd learn.

Horse for courses I guess, I can't see me whipping out the popcorn and beer for it though. But hey, each to their own. 2nd monitor system is such a scourge, now Its hard to be occupied by just one media/game/show at a time :-/

Yep just like any form of media some people will like it, some people will not like it and some people are ignorant towards it. I've always enjoyed watching sports but would equally be as entertained watching an important match in a CS:GO or LoL tournament... its essentially the same kind of buzz and a lot of the time i'll relax and watch them. If you've no interest in competitive gaming or even just those games in general then you'll obviously have no interest in watching them though.

As for the second monitor comment, that just depends on what I'm watching/playing as to how much attention I'll be paying to the stream or whatever is on. If I'm playing something like Diablo or casual online shooter that allows you to not be 100% focused on the game while still enjoying it, its nice to have something on the other monitor be it twitch or netflix. If i'm playing TLOU for example or another story driven SP game or even a proper CS:GO/LoL game i'll probably not even the 2nd monitor on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Love watching people play gamea, but id never subscribe. If it was a donation to charity i wouldnt mind.
    But ya i like watching people play specialy if its a game like dark souls or abes oddessy. Backseat gaming :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Um, you do realise there are professional gamers playing in tournaments that have live commentary? I find it fascinating people pay Sky loads of money each month to watch a bunch of lads kick a ball about but horses for courses and all that. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Didn't see this coming at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I find it hysterical that so many people were complaining about the music copyright policy and blaming the big evil Google, but it turns out is was just Twitch all along.

Aside from that, I'm hoping that Twitch doesn't change too much with Amazon in control.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Everyone was certain it was going to be Google, so whilst I was initially surprised at this, it makes a whole pile of sense for Amazon who are working hard at establishing themselves as a "living room" brand with their video services and their set top boxes.

Curious to see what sort of changes may appear. The recent changes in how their VOD back catalog's are being handled was attributed to making storage easier and I believe that they've already been using AWS (Amazon Web Services - basically their cloud computing division if you're not familiar with it), so if this deal helps cut down costs in that regard, then that's gonna free up some funding to work on other areas.

Like any massive, all encompassing corporate overlord, Amazon's not without it's major flaws. The current strife with Hachette could well find itself being repeated if a games publisher decided it wanted to impose its will on Twitch content similarly to how Nintendo have done with YouTube. I kinda see both sides of that particular mess, but I would lean towards the Vod creator's side of the argument, but I think it's not entirely unfair to have a revenue share on their copyright being used for creating new content.

Anyway, any other comments or thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't think it's a big deal for me. Ideally, it means that Amazon will provide better infrastructure to the platform, which is widely regarded as bursting at the seems. There has been a noticeable drop in quality as they are toning down (unknowns to most) the stream rate in EU to be able to manage the bandwidth. So hopefully a more experienced and expert team from Amazon can help out and provide a bit more stability, and most importantly quality.

The audio issue is completely redundant to me. The only streams I watch with sound are tournament streams, mainly LCS for LoL, and they are in no danger of any issues with copyright systems or algorythms. Other streamers I typically just watch muted, as I'm running my own music.

Very few streams I follow do I have sound on so that I can hear them talk.

Hopefully the platform can continue to grow and increase its quality and stability. It's been a pretty massive shift in regards to the online gaming community. The additional revenue coupled with youtube (most big streamers were on youtube first) means these guys can literally use streaming as a full time job, that pays handsomely.

I'd say the only downside of this will be Amazon pushing advertising to regions whereby it's not active. At present, Advertisement doesn't operate via Twitch in Ireland. Not sure why, but it doesn't. (Oddly when youtube does) but I'd imagine now commercials will be more prevelant down the line, which blows obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Shiminay wrote: »
    Everyone was certain it was going to be Google, so whilst I was initially surprised at this, it makes a whole pile of sense for Amazon who are working hard at establishing themselves as a "living room" brand with their video services and their set top boxes.

Curious to see what sort of changes may appear. The recent changes in how their VOD back catalog's are being handled was attributed to making storage easier and I believe that they've already been using AWS (Amazon Web Services - basically their cloud computing division if you're not familiar with it), so if this deal helps cut down costs in that regard, then that's gonna free up some funding to work on other areas.

Like any massive, all encompassing corporate overlord, Amazon's not without it's major flaws. The current strife with Hachette could well find itself being repeated if a games publisher decided it wanted to impose its will on Twitch content similarly to how Nintendo have done with YouTube. I kinda see both sides of that particular mess, but I would lean towards the Vod creator's side of the argument, but I think it's not entirely unfair to have a revenue share on their copyright being used for creating new content.

Anyway, any other comments or thoughts?
    Their Hachette strife, i am on the fence about. It will mean lower prices for customers, but it's a scary tactic. You have to give them credit for the kindle making ebooks more accessible & popular. Also allows writers to publish their own books for a tiny cost.
    I think if game publishers start legal action to not have their games on Twitch, then Amazon may go "Hachette" on them. Amazon are one of the biggest games sellers so they have a lot of influence here.

I think it's obvious they bought Twitch for this much in order to turn a profit(I don't see how other than linking to their marketplace and maybe some Prime subscriptions). But Google would be doing the same.
    I like Amazon as a company. They invest a huge chunk of their profits into new products and initiatives. But investors are starting to really get angry with this so i am not sure how much longer it's going to go on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

It think that's a very lame price for whoever sold it.

I would have thought 1.5-2 billion. It's still growing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Taylor365 wrote: »
    It think that's a very lame price for whoever sold it.

I would have thought 1.5-2 billion. It's still growing.

It's not like it has an tangible, physical assets. It's value is in its customers. Which means it can grow quickly or die quickly. It didn't exist 3 years ago. It might not exist in 3 years.

If people don't use the service, the service has no value and there is no way to make any money back. Bebo? MySpace? How much do you think they are worth now versus what they were worth?

This makes it a risk, not a sure fire thing. Because of this, it seems a fair price to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i do like to look at the dark souls speed runners or the lads invading.

i missed most of it , but i think ManVsGame played for 40 + hrs straight trying to beat the dark lurker on dark souls 2. he was on ng +++ or so and using a dark magic character and refused to change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Forget 40 hours, Koibu/Neal went 120 hours for the Intel Next Top Live Streamer challenge a couple of weeks ago and played a total of 90 different games in all that time (had to play for a minimum of 1 hour). Flippin' head the ball :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Kirby wrote: »
    It's not like it has an tangible, physical assets. It's value is in its customers. Which means it can grow quickly or die quickly. It didn't exist 3 years ago. It might not exist in 3 years.

If people don't use the service, the service has no value and there is no way to make any money back. Bebo? MySpace? How much do you think they are worth now versus what they were worth?

This makes it a risk, not a sure fire thing. Because of this, it seems a fair price to me.
    In this regard, Youtube is a service. It was purchased for $1.65 Billion nearly 10 years ago and we all know how that investment is doing...

Advertisement