Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow Tipping

Options
  • 18-10-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Is this a real thing?

If it is, why can't I find any videos on youtube of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If the steak is tasty I like to tip the cow and the waiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Forget the tipping, it's the Cattle Mutilation that's never caught on tape... Weird stuff. Any theories?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_mutilation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

dave3004 wrote: »
    Is this a real thing?

If it is, why can't I find any videos on youtube of it?

Why would you want to see it on youtube?

You have to be there!!!

El Weirdo wrote: »

Moo Tube?!!? Pull the udder one, would ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

It's done at night time and most of us lads in the council estates can't afford an infrared Camera that's why.

It's done at night time and most of us lads in the council estates can't afford an infrared Camera that's why.

The cows around here live in fields. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Chucken wrote: »
    The cows around here live in fields. :confused:

Years ago in my council estate there were cows in fields. they arent fields anymore though. big retail parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Also, try MooTube.

do you have a steak in that company?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Cow tipping's a myth, I'm afraid.

Also, cows are large and cranky, so I don't recommend checking.

• Advertisement

do you have a steak in that company?

I herd that one before

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Why don't you ask The King Of Moo OP? I'm sure he's been tipped before :D

KKkitty wrote: »
    Why don't you ask The King Of Moo OP? I'm sure he's been tipped before :D

You're milking it now

Cud ye stop with the puns please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ive never met a cranky cow. Bulls yes, but cows no.

In the US(where the phrase cowtipping was coined) you can drive a car legally at the age of 16. So imagine Galway(only 20 or more times the size), less rain, can drive at 16, have access to car, are bored of an evening... I doubt its a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

How much do you tip them?

frag420 wrote: »
    How much do you tip them?

You know its 3 fiddy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Omackeral wrote: »

You're milking it now
    I know. Don't want to cause any beef though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Another pun thread.

Think I will steer clear of this one.

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

Ah come on , pull the udder one will ye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Limericks wrote: »
    Another pun thread.

Not an udder one!

Edit: damn you M1XR. Bit of a fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

syklops wrote: »
    Ive never met a cranky cow. Bulls yes, but cows no.

In the US(where the phrase cowtipping was coined) you can drive a car legally at the age of 16. So imagine Galway(only 20 or more times the size), less rain, can drive at 16, have access to car, are bored of an evening... I doubt its a myth.

It's a myth because it's basically physically impossible. Even the more petite cows weigh around half a ton, they've got four legs to stand on, and they actually don't sleep standing up in the first place.

When they're awake and on their feet, they're pretty alert and they don't take kindly to random hillbillies trying to push them over - if a stranger approaches, they get wary and will either keep their distance or adopt a defensive "I'm about to charge you through that hedge over there" stance.

And they're not as dopey as they look. If something is trying to push them over, they'll just adjust their footing.

Sheep tipping on the other hand is actually possible, if you can get close enough. And they'll get stuck on their back too, because the wool flattens down under their weight, which is why farmers have to wander around counting them. Fun fact - they can't pee when they're rolled over like that, so when you do rescue them and set them upright the first think they do is relieve themselves. For ages. It's weird.

As a dairy farmer I can tell you that cow tipping is a myth, they don't sleep standing up and way too strong and sturdy to be just pushed over. The closet I've seen, took place in a shed, took 3 men, a vet, some rope and anesthetic. The cow was being operated on and had to be knocked on her side before we started. It wasn't easy.

As a dairy farmer I can tell you that cow tipping is a myth, they don't sleep standing up and way too strong and sturdy to be just pushed over. The closet I've seen, took place in a shed, took 3 men, a vet, some rope and anesthetic. The cow was being operated on and had to be knocked on her side before we started. It wasn't easy.

There! We have conformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I've seen cowboys pulling down horses by roping one front leg and simply falling on their asses. Haven't tried this meself yet. I'd be fairly sure I'd pull down a moving cow with a rope around it's opposite side (farthest) front leg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Never heard of this cow tipping till I went to college in Dublin.

Now calf tailing, thats a skill.

You get one person to lie down in the middle of a field. All the cattle will come over to look at the person out of curiosity. Someone else sneaks up, chooses an animal, grabs their tail, the animal bolts and you hold on as long as you can. You usually pick a smaller animal like a weanling as bigger animals are much stronger and have longer legs to kick you with. I once saw a calfs tail coming off from doing this!

I hope I'm not the only one that checked if there was a MooTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Limericks wrote: »
    Another pun thread.

Subtle! Don't be so moody now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Years ago in my council estate there were cows in fields. they arent fields anymore though. big retail parks.

If they looked like these council estate cows you may need to sit down, I have something to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Chucken wrote: »
    There! We have conformation.

Yes chucken ........... but not confirmation :D
    Anecdotially .......... a Yank visiting the auld country ........ called to the relatives (very distant) in The Kingdom ......... asked if he could milk a cow ...... was given the stool (no bad jokes please) and bucket. Having seated himself comfortably he proceeded to milk the two front paps ........... and after a half bucket
    the cow tipped over backwards
    .This is a true story.
    You can now understand why the Kerry Group post year-on-year 10%!

Advertisement