Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earth Quake!

• 17-10-2012 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Just felt an earth quake for the first time. It was 4.6 in Maine. That was fairly freaky, never felt one before.

Details here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/at00mc0dsp#summary

I ran in between the door frame of my bathroom. I'm on the third floor of an apartment complex so I would have been screwed if it was a bad one. Crazy stuff. :pac:

Have you ever felt one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Maine?? Is that in town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Chucken wrote: »
    Maine?? Is that in town?

Its in Cavan I think! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is currently a riot in rathfarnham on dublins southside, honest

nacimroc wrote: »
    Its in Cavan I think! :D

Ahhh right...I got my Maines in a tangle

there is currently a riot in rathfarnham on dublins southside, honest

Is that near The Hilton? Expecting riots there tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'd call labrinth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

its on the road to cavan all-right, and the further you go, the Mainer it gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I've never been in an earthquake so 4.6 doesn't mean much to me. What was it like. Was it shaking so much that it knocked over ornaments or furniture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Maine?? Is that in town?

A quick google says it is a state in the new england region of north eastern usa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

mackg wrote: »
    I've never been in an earthquake so 4.6 doesn't mean much to me. What was it like. Was it shaking so much that it knocked over ornaments or furniture?

It wasn't that bad, but the whole apartment shook and the lights were shaking a good bit. It lasted about 20 seconds. It was deadly! A few car alarms went off as well.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    A quick google says it is a state in the new england region of north eastern usa.

Oh I see! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭rubytuesday86

Felt aftershocks of one whilst in Manchester a few years ago. Was in a parked car and the whole thing shook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Ireland is too small that have a mini earthquake. Somebody needs to update the geography books, why didnt i get to notice this earthquake *touches wood that i dont experience an earthquake*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Some bastards are out lamping rebbits here in Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

[-0-] wrote: »
    Just felt an earth quake for the first time. It was 4.6 in Maine. That was fairly freaky, never felt one before.

Details here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/at00mc0dsp#summary

I ran in between the door frame of my bathroom. I'm on the third floor of an apartment complex so I would have been screwed if it was a bad one. Crazy stuff. :pac:

Have you ever felt one?

It's quite exhilarating isn't it?!

Felt a few during my time in San Francisco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Pervert!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

We had a few up in Donegal

It's quite exhilarating isn't it?!

Absolutely! There have been 191 in the past 7 days all over the planet... there was another one near Montreal on 10/10, and that's not too far from here either. Hopefully that isn't a sign that there are more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Had one here in Wellington about 45 mins ago, NZ. It was about a 5.5 at a depth of 110km. 2nd one I've felt this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Maine?? Is that in town?

No, no chucken. Maine is not in the town. The town is in Maine. The epicentre was very near Limerick incidentally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick,_Maine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Have you ever felt one?

This is an IRISH FORUM.. if its not too much trouble could you tell us the country your in if you could manage that it would be fantastic....

madma wrote: »
    This is an IRISH FORUM.. if its not too much trouble could you tell us the country your in if you could manage that it would be fantastic....

And this is the WWW! :D

I provided a link to the direct report which has a map on it and gives the actual coordinates of where it took place. What more do you want?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I don't know if this Maine place is on the coast,
    but if it is my advice to you OP is 'Run like Fuk' - away from the coast.

Before the tsunami comes along and drowns you.

Tell everyone you see to run too.

Quickly.

Spread wrote: »
    And this is the WWW! :D

I should be provided with the info without having to go check!

I provided a link to the direct report which has a map on it and gives the actual coordinates of where it took place. What more do you want?

im just yanking your chain yanky!

someone i know over in US hadf there fcebook update about it.. they are ****ting it:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Maine is like Cavan (hills and many, many lakes) but almost totally covered in New England trees which must be sporting lovely fall colours around now.:D

Yes, I felt an earthquake in Dublin as a 9 year old kid. It was in July 1984. I was playing with my lego in my bedroom when the house shook.:eek::pac: It was 5.5 on the Richter scale and was in fact the most powerful earth tremor Ireland has had in living memory. The epicentre was in Wales.

http://www.karlwhitney.com/journalism/irishmans29july2009.html

When I did my J1 in San Francisco, an earthquake was always in the back of my mind. My Dad was caught up in the big 1989 one.

im just yanking your chain yanky!

someone i know over in US hadf there fcebook update about it.. they are ****ting it:pac:

I'm Irish and moved to America last year. I'm no yank ya mucker. :pac:

Where are you? :)

• Advertisement

Nashua, New Hampshire. :)

Hey! Was there in Lowes last Saturday and Applebees afterwards. Am living in Gilsum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

LD 50 wrote: »
    Had one here in Wellington about 45 mins ago, NZ. It was about a 5.5 at a depth of 110km. 2nd one I've felt this week
    Ditto. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its grand op, you get used to them and realise they're not that exciting. I even feel ghost ones now and then, tis weird

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

Do you ****, sitting on the 15th floor of a building watching your lunch wobble along the table is terrifying :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

[Quote=[-0-];81285971]Nashua, New Hampshire. :)[/Quote]
    thought you were in Maine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If you see Tom Cruise running around, and loud fog horns, its probably just the aliens.

They took our jawbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I experienced my first quake a few months ago in Melbourne, it was a 5.4, strongest in 3 decades here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I slept through a 4.8 in San Francisco in 1998. I was staying in Fisherman's Wharf though (which i think is built in a way that withstands earthquakes - i think).

Is this another symptom of the theory that those 2 huge Sumatran earthquakes recently has started a breaking in half of two tectonic plates in the US? Hence the earthquakes in Maine and other unusual places in the US?

Absolutely! There have been 191 in the past 7 days all over the planet... there was another one near Montreal on 10/10, and that's not too far from here either. Hopefully that isn't a sign that there are more to come.

That's a great idea for a website actually - ratemyearthquake.com. It would have been very popular in Haiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Felt one last week in Santiago, 5.7 it was. Thought it was a dodgy washing machine for the first second or two!! Felt one a few years ago in England as well, was very slight. It felt like a very slight vibration under the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I'm Irish and moved to America last year. I'm no yank ya mucker. :pac:

Do you intend to return to these shores for 'The Gathering', if so bring a wheelbarrow full of Yankee dollars.
    By the way, I've never felt an earthquake, and my good lady wife assures me that the earth has never moved for her either.
    Ba-boom, tish!!

9959 wrote: »
    Do you intend to return to these shores for 'The Gathering', if so bring a wheelbarrow full of Yankee dollars.
    By the way, I've never felt an earthquake, and my good lady wife assures me that the earth has never moved for her either.
    Ba-boom, tish!!

What is this gathering you speak of. :pac:

What is this gathering you speak of. :pac:

http://www.thegatheringireland.com/

Please come home on holidays and give us all your money :(:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Have you ever felt one?

I was in a 5.5 earthquake in San Jose California back in the mis-90s. Hardly noticed it. The television news popped up with the 'Earthquake' headline a few minutes later. They made a bigger deal out of it than they should have to be honest.

I clicked around that site and ended up at an International Quilt Festival in Galway. How could I resist? :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

reeb wrote: »
    Do you ****, sitting on the 15th floor of a building watching your lunch wobble along the table is terrifying :P

And the moral here kids -

Don't eat jelly for lunch when you're that high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

I notice that the one in Tuamgraney is MAY 2013. Please practice the below: Gathering Nuts In May

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuts_in_May_(rhyme)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Felt a light shake in Wellington NZ before. Person I was with didn't even notice she was that used to the mild ones. That's been the height of it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Lapin wrote: »
    And the moral here kids -

Don't eat jelly for lunch when you're that high.

And don't do drugs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement