Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far would you go to defend yourself & your home?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Somebody on the property but not yet in my house would probably just warrant a call to the gardai or the throwing of some heavy items at his head.

Someone breaking in and then entering my house is going to be leaving wrapped in plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FYP
    Im afraid you broke it. You can choose to believe the story or live in ignorance up till the day you get shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It really easy to be a tough guy/gal when your typing away in the middle of the day. Fear does strange things to a person. some frezze and some go mental, very few, unless conditioned, will react calmly and save the day (night).

Remember that guy that killed the women in a Limerick hotel, he was on bail for trying to leave a house in Tipp in the middle of the night with a 5 year old girl. When I heard that I tried to put myself in that fathers position. He awoke to hear his wife screaming and ran out to see a strange man carrying his daughter down the stairs at 5 am.

He got his daughter back and restrained the man with the help of an off duty cop that lived next door.

I thought if anything like that happened to me I would grab that scumbag around the neck and not leave go until he was limp and then blue. However I would probably have more concern for my families safety and want this dirtbag as far away from my house as possible.

All I am saying is, if you haven't been in that position you can never really say how you would react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The one thing you have to make sure of is that you do as much damage as possible with the least amount of actions. No leg shots, no re-load. Blow the fkkrs away with a head/ chest shot. They wont come back.

Padraig Nally hasnt had his house broken into for years now.

KerranJast wrote: »
    My stuff they can have. Its not worth risking my life or freedom over. If they threatened my family though I'd gladly send them to meet their maker.

ah ya cant go tellin their mammy.. that's not cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Padraig Nally hasnt had his house broken into for years now.

So at least some good has come out of Padraig's situation..............that is '' shoot first , ask questions later ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

easyeason3 wrote: »
    So how far would you go to defend yourself? Or your home?

Considering my home contains my wife and children as well as myself......all the way to the last breath......mine or their's......I'm not a gambler but I've hedged my bets a little on this one.

The worst of posting and then reading backwards on a thread is finding someone else put virtually the same post in. Sorry Biggins..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Tbh any home that doesn't have anti-personnel mines in the lawn, tank traps in the drive and a couple of MG nests with overlaying fields of fire is just asking to be broken into tbh.

Do any of the die-hards here have a mini-nuke/ebola virus/mustard gas M.A.D. option built into their homes?

toiletduck wrote: »
    Tbh any home that doesn't have anti-personnel mines in the lawn, tank traps in the drive and a couple of MG nests with overlaying fields of fire is just asking to be broken into tbh.

Do any of the die-hards here have a mini-nuke/ebola virus/mustard gas M.A.D. option built into their homes?
    heh :p

One of the easiest deterrents would be wireless CCTV. You can get em cheap nowadays, for under 200 euro. Usually come with 2 cameras and a wireless receiver. Crooks wouldnt know where to look for the video even if they did try something, but the cameras are their own deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i wouldnt give a schit if i died in the process, but theywould earn whatever they took, thats if they got away with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i installed tamper proof doors and windows at the back, is that going far?

i installed tamper proof doors and windows at the back, is that going far?
    With the steel grates? No. Have you ever played Left 4 Dead? You sir are being smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Spur of the moment, anything's possible, almost got a scumbad across the head with a lump hammer a few years ago, probably a good thing i missed, but it was within reach and i grabbed it and hit out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If there was a break in at my place, and assuming the alarm didn't go off for some reason sending the thieves packing. I would have to get the keys to the gun safe, open the safe quietly, take the gun, fetch the barrel and the ammo which are stored elsewhere requiring another key and then assemble the lot without making a sound. It's not very likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Heres the way I look at it: If someone comes to my door and I say come on it the invitation to enter my house has been made.
    However if I find someone in my house who shouldn't be there then its their tough luck. They will get such a beating and then dumped down the road somewhere - it never happened in my house and they'll not be back.
    Your home is exactly that - not a hotel, hostel etc.... so I'd defend it, my family and anything thats in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    Not in the United States. in fact hollow tip is not only legal but safer than Full Metal Jacket, for the improved accuracy and reduced chance of over-penetration and ricochet.

You forgot the important bit: More effective. You want the problem to go away quickly.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

About 40 years ago two young lads broke into my grandads house. My granddad is a big man about 6'2' and strongly built, he snuck up on the two shytes, cornered them in the sitting room and told them if they moved he would break their faces with a hurly. He got his son to call the gards and twenty minutes later they were arrested.... Later convicted for breaking and entering.....

I cant see that happening in this day of political correctness gone mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

landyman wrote: »
    About 40 years ago two young lads broke into my grandads house. My granddad is a big man about 6'2' and strongly built, he snuck up on the two shytes, cornered them in the sitting room and told them if they moved he would break their faces with a hurly. He got his son to call the gards and twenty minutes later they were arrested.... Later convicted for breaking and entering.....

I cant see that happening in this day of political correctness gone mad

True, i remember on the news some time back, some guy did something similar and some stupid idiot had a letter in the Independent expressing their shock at the treatment of the 2 scumbags, being held against their will and that they must have been terrified by the homeowners action .:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Breaking and entering?

I keep a 1L jar of KY jelly in the bedside locker for such purposes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LD 50 wrote: »

i've no kids or wife

I have a stash of knives and assorted blades that I keep beside the bed,

These two points may well be related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Thank God he didn't say "Anymore".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

one in the chest and one in the wall "honest garda i gave him a warning but he just kept coming"sob sob boho JOB DONE;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I endorse the Padraig Nally procedure for dealing with theives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Someone tried to get into our kitchen on Thursday night. The mosquito screen flew up and made noise alerting us. My son who was first to the door and saw three hoodied youths running away well up the road. Myself and my two sons went after them but lost them in the side streets. We walked around the town for about and hour "interviewing" every street corner goon we met. Picture being interviewed vigourously by three very angry big bastards. We saw two guys at a corner and we charged at them. They tried desparately to get into a closed door. One of them was the local skinhead drug dealer. He was terrified when we had our chat he said "I thought you were going to beat me up". I said "We were and we still might". You should have seen his face. About an hour later everyone of the guys we talked to gathered in a gang down at the boules court, there were about 11 or 12 of them. We walked over and stared them down without saying a word, they were scared shitless. Not a word not a move. We turned our back on them and walked away. There were no brave shouts after us. Yesterday the skinhead crossed the street with his head down when one of my sons passed him on the way to the boulangerie. Fucking cheese eating surrender monkeys. I don't expect any more trouble anytime soon.

Advertisement