Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Day 1" Games you're glad you waited to Not Buy

Options
  • 25-08-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Basically what games are you a big fan of that you chose not to buy after waiting for some initial feedback/reviews.

I know we should all be waiting a month after release to make up our minds but with Pre-orders on Consoles/Steam it can be very tempting for in-game bonuses.

My examples of games I was very interested in but didn't pull the trigger on:

Command and Conquer 4, the base building RTS where you don't have a base :mad:
    Rome 2 Total War, apparently a game that straight up didn't need to exist and was launched as a bugged out mess :rolleyes:
    Watch-Doges, was looking forward to this, glad I held onto my money now :p
    Jagged Alliance Back in Action, what a hard game to f**k up, but they managed it

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rome 2 is the biggest let down for me in recent times but also empire total war,

Coh tales of valor

Supreme commander 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Ryse. Forza 4. Killzone (on PS4)...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Assetto Corsa, I've nearly 300 hours logged in that game and any DLC they bring out will be an immediate purchase. It's a game that has so much depth to it that you can get hours and hours of entertainment out of just one car and one track and still have something to learn.

I've barely reached 30 hours in any other game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

X4 - Rebirth.

I was stoked for that, but heard bad things. Delighted I didn't preorder or buy day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I had the collectors edition of Aliens Colonial Marines pre-ordered from about the June before release. The team behind it were strong, the previews were solid and the footage released so far all boded well. A couple of weeks before release things, as we're all quite aware, began to smell a little off and I made the decision to cancel it.

Not something I particularly regret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Watch Dogs. Particularly as there weren't many games out for PS4 so I presumed it'd be a day one purchase. Decided to wait though, and after playing a bit of it a few weeks later when I borrowed it from a friend, turned out to be a great decision. Really didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Most Day 1 games I've chosen not to buy I've picked up over the last 2 years in game sales on XBL, rarely for more than ten quid which is a price most games can be worth it at. Since then I reserve Day 1 purchases for just having the cash and free time on release week, and COD.

I did buy Aliens VS Predator on 360 at launch, played the Xeno campaign, disgusted at how short it was then brought it back. Got an exchange instead of trade in as the sales assistant recognised having only bought the game a few hours earlier, got a straight swap for the Limited Edition of Bioshock 2 instead. A great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

ScumLord wrote: »
    Assetto Corsa, I've nearly 300 hours logged in that game and any DLC they bring out will be an immediate purchase. It's a game that has so much depth to it that you can get hours and hours of entertainment out of just one car and one track and still have something to learn.

I've barely reached 30 hours in any other game.

I'm confused by this, are you saying there's Assetto Corsa 2 you didn't buy an are better off for it?

niallon wrote: »
    Most Day 1 games I've chosen not to buy I've picked up over the last 2 years in game sales on XBL,

Honestly, not trying to rain on your parade but they don't really sound like Day 1 games if thats the case. Just games you liked the cut of their jib.
    I was aiming more at games you were sitting with bated breath over as it went into development/alpha/beta etc and then the launch happened to coincide with your honeymoon and your damn ignorant wife wouldn't let you play 16 hours a day of *Insert game* so you game home two weeks later and was like "Damn I'm glad I never bought that"

Also 2 games this could happen to arriving soon (all aboard the hype train):

The Sims 4 (practically destined to fail, see relevant thread in PC gaming section)
    Destiny (god I hope it's good though and not short/crap/forgettable as this was the thing that's pushing me to buy a PS4 now)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Watchdogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

COD: Black Ops.

Played it in a mates house on launch day and really didn't enjoy it at all. I'm not a huge COD fan either so that may have been the reason I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Watchdogs

Yep. Thought the early footage of it looked amazing, but then the downgrades started, it became clear its open world play wasn't as competent as something like GTA, that it had invisible walls, etc. Still haven't bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Sim City... I was prepared to buy/build a PC just for that game :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Watch Dogs
    Thief
    Haze
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD
    Resident Evil 6
    Battlefield 4 (launch was a mess as usual)

Games that I wish I waited for
    FFXIII
    Sim City

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

F'ing Killzone on the PS2.
    I nearly spent good money on that "Halo-killer", decided against it at the last minute.
    What a lucky escape, when I eventually played it the game was dreadful, lots of knee high walls your super soldier can't climb over, lots of dull brown muddy colours and a complete waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Dead space. Not cos it was a bad game, but it was £39.99 on release, and it was down to £19.99 two weeks later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Elder Scrolls Online - Was incredibly hyped about it after playing two betas and then decided to hold off until release, queue dupe bug that was reported during beta and a whole "edition" centered around a race they threw in to appease the masses. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

Dragon Age 2. Delighted I never picked that up. And of course I regret Battlefield 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Aliens: Colonial Marines. Saw it at HMV over the weekend for £2.99 and thought that was too much. Still haven't bought it. Might borrow it at some point.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

In the last year without a doubt, Watch Dogs. So disappointing when I got the lone of it a couple of weeks after release but delighted I didn't buy into the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Aliens: Colonial Marines. Saw it at HMV over the weekend for £2.99 and thought that was too much. Still haven't bought it. Might borrow it at some point.

Don't bother. I got it for €2.74 a few months ago thinking that a) considering the price and b) considering the amount of patches brought out for it, it'd be worth it even if it was mildly enjoyable. Played the first level and uninstalled it. Took me two attempts to finish the first level because of game breaking bugs.

If I had paid €40+ for it on release I would have been absolutely gutted. More than any other game I can think of in recent times.

I don't really buy many games on release as a rule though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm confused by this, are you saying there's Assetto Corsa 2 you didn't buy an are better off for it?
    I completely misinterpreted the meaning of the thread. :o

ScumLord wrote: »
    I completely misinterpreted the meaning of the thread. :o

Well to be fair the thread was incorrectly titles until moments ago.... me no type words good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Watch Dogs
    Assassins Creed 1 & 3 - funnily enough, I've only ever enjoyed the 2nd one
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Bioshock 2
    Bioshock infinite

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Watch Dogs....

Glad I steered clear when I saw the first PS4 stream on Live from PlayStation....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Cormac... wrote: »
    Honestly, not trying to rain on your parade but they don't really sound like Day 1 games if thats the case. Just games you liked the cut of their jib.
    I was aiming more at games you were sitting with bated breath over as it went into development/alpha/beta etc and then the launch happened to coincide with your honeymoon and your damn ignorant wife wouldn't let you play 16 hours a day of *Insert game* so you game home two weeks later and was like "Damn I'm glad I never bought that"

Also 2 games this could happen to arriving soon (all aboard the hype train):

The Sims 4 (practically destined to fail, see relevant thread in PC gaming section)
    Destiny (god I hope it's good though and not short/crap/forgettable as this was the thing that's pushing me to buy a PS4 now)

No while I see what you're saying, I am referring to some games like this. Watch Dogs is a prime example, I won't own that game for at least another year when it's dirt cheap in a sale, yet from the first reveal I was hooked and couldn't wait to pick it up at launch, can't even explain why I didn't when the launch came around, just didn't think it was gonna be worth the full price all of a sudden.

Dead Space 3 is another, I loved the first one, wasn't that impressed with the second but by then I was a fanboy of the series. But when the third one came out I just decided I wasn't forking out for it, knowing I would enjoy it more by picking it up as a bargain bin title, not because I couldn't afford it but because critiquing it relative to how much it cost means a lot

Advertisement