Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eVision & Efiber a warning

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Is the reserved bandwidth not for TV viewing? Why would take an additional amount of bandwidth when you watch a channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

ElNino wrote: »
    I got a call from eircom today offering me a free six months trial of evision. When I told him that I was happy with Sky he was still very pushy and asked if I had a second TV in the house that I could use it on? I told him that I did but would my internet speed be affected? He said only marginally.

I really think that they should be more upfront with their customers. If I didn't know better I would have signed up to it and probably hardly ever use it and lose 20Mb of my 70Mb download for no good reason.

Hi All,
    I having a little discussion with an Eircom rep on Boards.ie about this 6 months free trial. I'm certain that I signed up for Efibre and I have Evision for 6 months FOC. I can cancel the Evision anytime within the 6 month period.

However he is adamant that that there is no 6 month free trial and if you cancel the Evision there is €150 cancellation fee.

Logically I can't see how this could be the case - any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Update: Reply from EIRCOM

Which clarifies the issue

"No problem you have received conflicting info so I understand completely. ActuallyXXXXX's remarks are relevant for the eFibre plan but on April 13th Eircom did introduce an offer for new customers to try eVision absolutely free for half a year. If they don’t it like they can simply call, cancel without early cease charges.

So regarding the eVision webchat statement he was absolutely correct.
    Sorry for mixed message.
    Thanks
    XXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

bk wrote: »
    Actually it still isn't clear, nor is it accurate.

First of all it is "upto" 100mb/s which is totally dependent on distance from the cab, you could be only be getting as little as 12mb/s
    Same as any other provider so really (excluding UPC Fibre)
    Its on the website as clear as day where it says
    UP TO
    100Mb
    DOWNLOAD SPEED

Second if you sign up to eVision you speed is automatically decreased (e.g. from 100mb/s to 85mb/s) when you subscribe to the service.
    Again thats on the site where it says
    If you have both TV and broadband with us, we dedicate some of your broadband speed to ensure that you get the very best TV picture quality. So when your TV is on, your broadband speed will be slightly lower than normal. If you can receive our maximum 100Mb broadband, this is adjusted to 85Mb when you are using your TV.

It is also a bit misleading saying that it only costs €10 a month, when that is ontop of their expensive €50 broadband product, which is €15 more expensive then the equivalent package from Vodafone.
    But it is only €10 for the TV service per month (in fact first 12 months are free too)
    Again its mentioned on the site
    eVision is only available to eircom's residential customers who have signed up to eFibre and is subject to a minimum contract of 18 months.

eFibre customers who have Sky TV switch to eVison and save €336 in your first year.

When you try to buy the service it also asks if you currently have e-fibre and if you dont it will bring you through the steps of getting the whole package and gives you a total cost per month - very well laid out and self explanatory really.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

boardzz wrote: »
    Is the reserved bandwidth not for TV viewing? Why would take an additional amount of bandwidth when you watch a channel.

No, they first put you on a "stable" profile which reduces your speed to make it suitable for TV services.

It then takes additional bandwidth (8mb/s per HD stream) for each channel you watch/record.

The fact that you asked this just goes to show that Eircoms information on this product is still misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

By the way if you are an eircom fibre customer and you want the 6 months free evision trial then all you need to do is to ring them up and ask to be put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

No, they first put you on a "stable" profile which reduces your speed to make it suitable for TV services.

It then takes additional bandwidth (8mb/s per HD stream) for each channel you watch/record.

The fact that you asked this just goes to show that Eircoms information on this product is still misleading.

By “stream” I assume you mean each channel watched or recording therefore on the off chance that there are 2 things worth watching on TV at the same time, I watch one, record the other and the kids are watching the other TV then my broadband drops by 24mps from the max 85mps?

At the moment I have UPC broadband. Should be 120mps – on a good day I get 30 through WIFI. Assuming (big assumption) that I get the same 30mps through eircom efinbre (upto 85mps rather than 120 mps) then I could lose upto a further 24 mps in the above scenario (likely on say a Tuesday evening with footie on) leaving a mere 6mps wifi speed?

My Sky / UPC combination is looking safer and safer by the hour.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Coat22 wrote: »
    By “stream” I assume you mean each channel watched or recording therefore on the off chance that there are 2 things worth watching on TV at the same time, I watch one, record the other and the kids are watching the other TV then my broadband drops by 24mps from the max 85mps?

Yes, if each was a HD stream. SD streams/channels use about 2.5mb/s
    Coat22 wrote: »
    At the moment I have UPC broadband. Should be 120mps – on a good day I get 30 through WIFI. Assuming (big assumption) that I get the same 30mps through eircom efinbre (upto 85mps rather than 120 mps) then I could lose upto a further 24 mps in the above scenario (likely on say a Tuesday evening with footie on) leaving a mere 6mps wifi speed?

No, Eircom uses ethernet over power adaptors to connect the TV box with their router, so the bandwidth it would use wouldn't effect the wifi in this scenario.

If you were actually getting 85mb/s *, but only 30mb/s on wifi, then you would continue to get 30mb/s on wifi while the eVision takes another 24mb/s over the ethernet over power adaptors.

BTW I'm sure you are actually getting 120mb/s from UPC, it is just the wifi that is the problem. I just got a new wifi router yesterday (I'm on UPC 120mb). It is giving me 200mb/s in the same room and 70mb/s in the opposite end of the apartment from the router!

* Please remember that it is "upto" 85mb/s and it is very much dependent on your distance from the cab. Many if not most people will get much slower then this.

[BTW I'm sure you are actually getting 120mb/s from UPC, it is just the wifi that is the problem. I just got a new wifi router yesterday (I'm on UPC 120mb). It is giving me 200mb/s in the same room and 70mb/s in the opposite end of the apartment from the router!

* Please remember that it is "upto" 85mb/s and it is very much dependent on your distance from the cab. Many if not most people will get much slower then this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply – much appreciated

What router did you change too? I am using the Thompson one they supplied (not sure of model). I’m using 3 ports (one for the sky multi room, one for the landline and one for a powerline extender which I use to connect the playstation to via ethernet) – I assume none of this should affect the WIFI though. Would definitely consider upgrading the router if it offered that much of a difference.

I’m about 1km from the CAB (at least I’m guessing that’s what all the little green eircom boxes that have sprung up in the village in the past couple of weeks are!) – this shouldn’t effect speed that much?

Thanks for the reply – much appreciated

What router did you change too? I am using the Thompson one they supplied (not sure of model). I’m using 3 ports (one for the sky multi room, one for the landline and one for a powerline extender which I use to connect the playstation to via ethernet) – I assume none of this should affect the WIFI though. Would definitely consider upgrading the router if it offered that much of a difference.

This is the one I got and make sure to use the 5GHz frequency:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-AC1750-Wireless-Gigabit-1300Mbps/dp/B00CEB53MS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400072742&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=rcher+c7

You are correct, any devices wired directly to your router shouldn't effect the wifi speed. They would all be able to get the full speed of UPC.
    I’m about 1km from the CAB (at least I’m guessing that’s what all the little green eircom boxes that have sprung up in the village in the past couple of weeks are!) – this shouldn’t effect speed that much?

1km is quiet far from the cab, probably in the region of 30mb/s

At this distance, you would definitely be better off sticking with UPC

• Advertisement

Thanks for the head up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SlappyTheSeal

I seem to be having problems with this as well, we got in the evison yesterday, And they use power line adapters for the TV. Which is a problem for me because I use power line adapters for my PC. Now I'm stuck on 10Mbps down and still the usual 20Mbps up. Yet my phone manages to pull 50 down? Seriously pissed off about this. Worst thing is I'm not even the house owner so I can't exactly call them up and tell them to get over here and sort it!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Just got a call from Eircom sales guy offering eVision. I told him I did not think I could possibly qualify, being about 1.5 km from the cab and having only 15Mb down and 0.7 up.

However he was adamant, so went ahead and agreed to schedule the install for week after next -should be interesting!!

Unless they are planning to enable vectoring before then? And if so, still can't see that making that much a difference to me as my max attainable is 0.9/19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Just got a call from Eircom sales guy offering eVision. I told him I did not think I could possibly qualify, being about 1.5 km from the cab and having only 15Mb down and 0.7 up.

However he was adamant, so went ahead and agreed to schedule the install for week after next -should be interesting!!

Unless they are planning to enable vectoring before then? And if so, still can't see that making that much a difference to me as my max attainable is 0.9/19

Are you aware that they are going to profile some of your bandwith specifically for eVision and you are going to lose half or more of your 15mb down for your general internet usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

ElNino wrote: »
    Are you aware that they are going to profile some of your bandwith specifically for eVision and you are going to lose half or more of your 15mb down for your general internet usage?

Thats my point exactly - I only get 15mb, and according to this thread, they reserve 20Mb, do that leaves me with -5mb download speeds - nice!

incidentally, checked my DSL stats this morning and now down to 12mb -that's them moving me to a stable profile. So really depends on the impact on the remaining bandwidth of watching/recording shows in parallel after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Thats my point exactly - I only get 15mb, and according to this thread, they reserve 20Mb, do that leaves me with -5mb download speeds - nice!

incidentally, checked my DSL stats this morning and now down to 12mb -that's them moving me to a stable profile. So really depends on the impact on the remaining bandwidth of watching/recording shows in parallel after that.

So how has it been working out for you for the past few weeks? I'm toying with the idea of giving it a go. If it is rubbish then I have a 14 day cooling off period in which I can cancel.

Advertisement