Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine WiMax

Options
  • 22-08-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi.
    Any one work for imagine?
    I am looking to go selling WiMax around west cork.
    Does any one know what the broadband and phone line is like?
    Or what the commission is like?
    Thanks
    Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do they even do WiMAX in west cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ph5.5

Yes they do. If you have a good eircom you have good wi max. It be for going to business try to get into them.

Do you know what WiMAX is? Its not through the phone line, its wireless from a mast

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ph5.5

Yes. That sort of set up could cost up to 500eur for installing if not more I was told. but you can get set up for a lot less if you you got a phone line. That what WiMax said to me. wikipedia any one can add to so i wouldnt belive everthing on that site. What internet do you have??

WiMAX is definately not down the phone line. Also nobody pays €500 to get wimax installed.

What you'll mainly be doing is trying to convince people to change from €15-20 dongles and from the likes of eircom who they've been with for 50 years.
    In either case, getting €50 off them for an install would be an achievement not to mind €500.

Imagine also resell eircom broadband through the line, but this isn't WiMAX, or even fibre, so in most cases its inferior to eircoms offering. Eircom themselves aren't the out of touch dinosaur they once were.

Tbh, In not sure I'd want that job, imagine is kinda seen as a company on the decline, wimax is seen as a product from 6 years ago, and they had to give it half price for a year to get people on.

What do I have? I have 120mb UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

anyone i know that had wimax (yes the fixed wireless type) got rid of it very fast. was sold 7-10 meg packages that could barely even hold a stready 1-2mb, they also capped your connection if you uploaded more then 5gb in a day.

so if their wimax service was that poor can you imaging what a eircom resold bitstream adsl connection would be like?

Dreadful id say, so stay clear!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Some of the comments above are somewhat out of date. I have wireless Wimax here, and the performance is better than wired broadband, but not as good as fibre,

Download speeds are in the region of 10 to 12 Mb, upload is capped at 512Kb, but on testing it's higher for a while, then gets capped to 512. The phone package is an acceptable price, and offers some calls within package that are not available on other suppliers. The main plus is UK calls within package, up to 1 Hr per call, as well as all local and national calls within Ireland.

It's reliable, we've had the occasional outage over the last few months, but nothing worse than any other supplier. The radio unit is self install, we didn't need an external aerial to get an acceptable signal, I put it in here, with no issues other than having to negotiate with Imagine to get the access password, as I need to change the DHCP range to exclude the addresses that are used by some commercial printers I have here that won't work on DHCP via a network.

The price went up recently by 2.99 per month, we're now paying 34.99 per month for broadband and the phone package, which in terms of the calls included is pretty good. I will be hard pushed to get a similar deal from Eircom with Fibre, which is the only other viable option.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

We have the fixed wireless here for the last few years.

Sadly in that time, it's gone steadily downhill, to the point where we are now getting rid of it.

The best deal we ever got was a 6MB pack, but it only lasted a few months. After that, they upped their contention rate, and now if we are very lucky, we might see 3MB, and the Up is about 0.7.

In this day and age, living just on the outskirts of the City, this isn't really very good anymore.

It's time to move on.

Advertisement