Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Careers levy

Options
  • 03-04-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I'm generally a rather passive user of Boards and I prefer to read about what's going on in the world and pass the occasional remark.

However I found out today that the college are introducing a levy on students to fund a careers service!!!! This is shocking!!!

Last year the college asked the Students' Union for views on this proposal. The students' union, in consultation with students, indicated to the college that the payoff for students would not be worth the financial cost. The college persisted and so the students' union ran a referendum to get a conclusive answer from the student body on the issue.

The result of the referendum was NO! The college asked the students, and the students gave an answer.

Why then are the college now ignoring the answer they were given? Not only are we, the students, being landed with a further financial burden but it is a burden for a service that, when asked about, we have said we don't need.

Who is the careers service for? Is it for the students who are happy to get along without it.

Or is it for the college's public image? It is no secret that there has been a push for greater awareness and concern for the public perception of MIC in recent years! Next year the college's sales pitch will include details of a brand new careers service. Woo that looks so good on paper! What won't be told is that this careers service is funded by a levy imposed on students after blatantly ignoring the results of a consultation process!

Student Centered??? not likely!!

Well done MIC. I'm generally not one for whinging...but you've managed to convert me!

Any thoughts???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

It's completely pointless - the majority of B.eds for example already know what their career is going to be. As far as I know the placement office already offers career guidance to Arts students so who is this for?

Is it likely that 1st/2nd years will need career guidance and really, is there a need to hire TWO of them?

The cost per annum for this "service" is €40 which every student must pay regardless of whether or not they wish to use this service. Also students will have to pay an extra €8 per year which will be put into the student assistance fund (as far as I'm aware a large portion of our contribution already goes to this fund.)

Not very "democratic" of Mary I to pass something that the students already voted against either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Would rather pay a buildings project levy to fund a new library.
    As pointed out, the B.Eds don't really need career advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Progshark

MISU have called an Emergency General Meeting tonight in T117 at 6:00!!!

Advertisement