Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 hours p/w jobs - what's the point?

• 18-10-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I get email alerts for job vacancies in a well known retail outlet. The majority of the positions advertised are looking for people to do 4-8 hours a week! These are minimum wage jobs too. If your already on the dole you cant take it because you'd be giving up more than you'd get, so only someone with a job could actually take them, and would you be bothered being trained in, getting used to a new place, driving in and out for just 4 hours on minimum wage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

It works for people who want to earn a little extra without having their payment touched. Eg. single mothers. AFAIK they're entitled to work up to 19 hours before their payment is reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If I was on the dole, I'd rather work 4 hours a week than sit on my arse doing nothing for the entire time.

Having a sense of purpose and a reason for getting up in the morning can not be over-rated even if it is only for half a day's work.

I'm on a CE Scheme, I could take up work like that and have a little extra pocket money, without having my payment affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

It would suit someone like me who needs to make a little extra money. But couldn't commit to longer hours. Actually who is it?

Also send the link to the wife from the Garda Sergeant thread. It would help her put food on the table.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not everyone gets the dole so it may appeal to some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Also am sure it suits students, those who have retired and want a few hours work or those whose family incomes mean they don't get dole but want to get out of house for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I get email alerts for job vacancies in a well known retail outlet. The majority of the positions advertised are looking for people to do 4-8 hours a week! These are minimum wage jobs too. If your already on the dole you cant take it because you'd be giving up more than you'd get, so only someone with a job could actually take them, and would you be bothered being trained in, getting used to a new place, driving in and out for just 4 hours on minimum wage?

These are aimed at students surely? 8 hours a week work will pay quite nicely for an 8 hour Flannery's, Coppers and Bablyon binge....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I work a job similar while on the dole. It was only worth around €6 extra to me the fact I was working, until I figured the dole where taking too much off me!

After that it was worth around €26 to me, which would cover my petrol for the week.

Also I preferred being out and about working with people and dealing with customers, and I found it easy to get another job from that job.

It's also good for your mental health if you go too work with a positve attitude instead of sitting at home eating cheese toasties all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Ever notice when you are in a job, you get a job?

employers look for motivated people who, despite little or no jobs about, show willingness to do something instead of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

I used to work in a part time job that said I was on a 4 hour contract but on average I was working 16-20 hours. They just put me on a 4 hour contract so they only had to pay me for 4 hours if I was on a weeks holiday.

That was in the north, so I'm not sure if they can do the same thing down here but some of them might be doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My son's OH has just moved over from the UK so has to find work now - she would jump at even 8 hours a week just to get her foot in the door work wise and give her some (albeit small) income.

OP - any chance some of those jobs are in Cork and if so could you pm me a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Minimum wage is 8.65? So one week of 4 hours of work is 34 euros. Thats maybe a piano class for a child, 12 weeks of that could pay for Christmas. For a stay at home mum that could pay for a meal out or a trip to the cinema(per week).

This comes after we hear about Mrs Garda Sergent who cant make do with 400 a week ish in income. 34 euros is a lot of money if you spend wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I thought the OP was on about if you're on the dole. Which is technically correct that you will be giving up more than you gain but it's depending on how much you get per week on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If I was on the dole, I'd rather work 4 hours a week than sit on my arse doing nothing for the entire time.

Having a sense of purpose and a reason for getting up in the morning can not be over-rated even if it is only for half a day's work.

Is it possible that some people who are on the dole and not lucky enough to get even a few hours work a week could actually be doing other worthwhile things with their time? Or does being on the dole mean that everyone must sit in their kitchens staring at the wall all day?

I was on it for a few months and I used the time to throw my self into a fitness regime that I had being neglecting and to get work done on the house which I could never have tackled before, ie converting a garage to an extra room. I was far from sitting on my arse all day. If a mind numbing job is the only thing that will get a person out of bed in the morning, then they have bigger problems beyond being unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I thought the OP was on about if you're on the dole. Which is technically correct that you will be giving up more than you gain but it's depending on how much you get per week on the dole.

What with the irish meedja's reporting it would be easy to think the entire country is on the dole but there are a lot of people out there who arent entitled to a single penny and some how manage to get by. Often by doing an hour a week here, and an hour a week there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It looks better on a CV to be working at something instead of scratching ur hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

This type of work is great for anyone who needs the prsi contributions.

Immigrants who have no prsi record in Ireland, and are finding it hard to get means tested social welfare because of habitual residence conditions. This type of work, for even 13 weeks, might (or might not) qualify them for non-means tested benefits. It depends on their previous work record in their own country. If they have a child and are a single parent, working like this opens the possibility of one parent family payment as a family benefit for a migrant worker. Work for 26 weeks, and then apply for supplementary welfare for the next six months. Work for 52 weeks, then you might (or might not) get supplementary welfare plus rent for life. That is some level of benefit/reward, for working min wage for a few hours a week, for a year. Obviously, terms and conditions apply, but working one full year (52 weeks) confers significant rights under EU law on migrant workers, regardless of the number of hours worked.

Under 25 years old - this may qualify them for benefits at some stage in the future, and they might be getting nothing at present and for the next several years because of age/parental income. Again, this depends on the amount of work previously done, but every week of prsi counts towards qualifying for benefit, which is not linked to parental income.

Former self employed, now unemployed. Former housewife. Former public servant. If they get 26 weeks work, they are back in line for things like invalidity pension, so long as they sign for credits when the job stops, and so long as they have completed enough work in the past. It is a complicated area, but this type of work can literally be worth hundreds of thousands in such cases, as it confers entitlement to 200 per week (10 grand per year) of contributory social welfare payments for the rest of your life, assuming you meet the other qualifying conditions. In fairness, not everybody would meet the other qualifying conditions, but some people do.

EU law in this area (taxation and social security benefits/assistance) is a fascinating area of study, one that I would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I have a lot of friends living here on student visa's that would gladly take these jobs.

PM me the details if you can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm a student and would gladly take an 8 hour a week job. In fact, I'd rather 8 hours than say 20 hours as it allows me to make a little extra cash to help me actually eat while not jeapardising my studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Personally, I don't think I would take a 4 hour a week job. I understand someones logic that it might go full time - towards Christmas this may be true. But even then come January back to part time.

I'd rather do a 4 hour a week course. At least at the end of it I am in a better position to get a ful time job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

nail on the nead, its a pity more of the country dont have this opinion. assuming for example it allows student to join, a student who can get 50-70quid for a few hours of work is better than having no money at all.

as alreadsy pointed out also, its another way of supplementing an income and if somebody has a part time job already, another few hours would be well welcomed.

Advertisement