Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSB after a year working?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have worked part-time for the whole of 2011, contract finishes this week. I also worked for the month of December 2010 full-time.

Will I get JSB or be assessed for JSA? SW said they will need to see my P45 first - who knows how long I will be waiting for this!

Surely after a year of work (plus I also did the Census job), I have enough stamps for JSB- does anyone know??

Please? I can't wait until after Christmas to sort out budgets!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You need at least 2 years contributions (over your entire working life) to be eligible for Jobsekers Benefit, full-time and part-time contributions all count as just one contribution per week, so if what you described is your entire work history, you won't be eligible for Jobseekers Benefit and will have to apply for the Allowance, which is subject to a means test and at least a few more weeks processing time.

For Jobseekers Benefit, you also need to have contributions in the relevant year. There are a number of different ways to qualify, but in general the contribution year is 2 years before the current year, so for claims made in 2011, they first look at your contributions in 2009. For claims made in 2012, they look at your 2010 record.

Have a look here for full details of contributions requirement http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx

Also, they do not NEED your P45. They will accept a letter from your employer instead. You're not likely to be paid before xmas, but if you're stuck, and can pass a means test, you can apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance from your local Community Welfare Officer while your claim is being processed see here - http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/BasicSupplementaryWelfareAllowance.aspx

Advertisement