Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own my new flat...will it affect my dole?

Options
  • 15-12-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Situation is i've been signing on for over a year but have come into some good fortune lately. A wealthy uncle who is ill has decided to settle his affairs and he bought two apartment for my myself and sister, his only real close family. I will be moving into mine and leaving rented accommodation meaning i will now be €80 a week better off, :) ( i wasnt receiving rent allowance etc). My question is, will any of this affect my dole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I dont know about dole but you may be liable for a gift tax...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You definitely need to disclose it to welfare, but it may not affect your payments at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Im not sure, but other than the apartment if you have come into some money do not tell them open a new account or stick it in a hole ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

stevek93 wrote: »
    Im not sure, but other than the apartment if you have come into some money do not tell them open a new account or stick it in a hole ;)

Very clever ;)

......yeah right!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ProudRossie

stevek93 wrote: »

Unfortunately not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It shouldn't affect your Jobseekers Allowance but legally will be liable for "Gift Tax" of 25% on everything after the first €33,208 of the valuation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... but legally will be liable for "Gift Tax" of 25% on everything after the first €33,208 of the valuation.
    Unfortunately it may be too late now, but you and your very generous uncle need tax advice. As pointed out by @leeroybrown the tax bill if your uncle proceeds with the gifts could be enormous (in your present circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It shouldn't affect your Jobseekers Allowance but legally will be liable for "Gift Tax" of 25% on everything after the first €33,208 of the valuation.

believe it or not, the apartment cost €31,400 so i presume i'm exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Situation is i've been signing on for over a year but have come into some good fortune lately. A wealthy uncle who is ill has decided to settle his affairs and he bought two apartment for my myself and sister, his only real close family. I will be moving into mine and leaving rented accommodation meaning i will now be €80 a week better off, :) ( i wasnt receiving rent allowance etc). My question is, will any of this affect my dole?
    Unfortunately not.
    believe it or not, the apartment cost €31,400 so i presume i'm exempt?

You the same person?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ProudRossie

ronaneire wrote: »
    You the same person?

LOL, no. Using a mates laptop, he told me about this forum, he must have logged in while i was away for a while earlier and i didnt notice.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement