Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning From Abroad & The Dole

• 01-05-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am currently doing the working holiday visa here in Australia(not going as smoothly as i hoped:(), and i may need to come home early and i really fear not been able to get a job once i return...

I left Ireland in February
    I had a job before leaving(only 19hrs a week), but quit before leaving for Australia

So i have a few questions

Will the fact i left a job to come to Australia have any effect on me been able to claim anykind of social welfare?

Also is it true, if your out of the country for a certain period of time you be unable to claim any kind of social welfare?

Cheers in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

busyliving wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am currently doing the working holiday visa here in Australia(not going as smoothly as i hoped:(), and i may need to come home early and i really fear not been able to get a job once i return...

I left Ireland in February
    I had a job before leaving(only 19hrs a week), but quit before leaving for Australia

So i have a few questions

Will the fact i left a job to come to Australia have any effect on me been able to claim anykind of social welfare?

Also is it true, if your out of the country for a certain period of time you be unable to claim any kind of social welfare?

Cheers in advance for your help

If you were working in 2009 and have enough contributions overall, you should be entitled to Jobseekers Benefit. If you do not have an entitlement to Jobseekers Benefit you can apply for Jobseekers Allowance which is means tested. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/unemployed.aspx

If you are out of the country for >6 months you more than likely will have to satisfy Habitual Residence Condition.http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW108/Pages/1WhatistheHabitualResidencecondition.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

eastbono wrote: »
    If you were working in 2009 and have enough contributions overall, you should be entitled to Jobseekers Benefit. If you do not have an entitlement to Jobseekers Benefit you can apply for Jobseekers Allowance which is means tested. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/unemployed.aspx

If you are out of the country for >6 months you more than likely will have to satisfy Habitual Residence Condition.http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW108/Pages/1WhatistheHabitualResidencecondition.aspx

Cheers,

So it looks like i'll be back in Ireland within a week, which means i'll have been out of the country for less than 6 months...

So i just have a few more questions:

Is there a specific time i should visit my Social Welfare office in order to get my application started?

What documents will i need? Or will i be given forms on the day to fill out and return?

Oh my local welfare office is in Limerick City

Cheers again for your help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

Cheers,

So it looks like i'll be back in Ireland within a week, which means i'll have been out of the country for less than 6 months...

So i just have a few more questions:

Is there a specific time i should visit my Social Welfare office in order to get my application started?

What documents will i need? Or will i be given forms on the day to fill out and return?

Oh my local welfare office is in Limerick City

Cheers again for your help:)

Go into Social the day after you get back. Your claim is valid from then. You will get back paid when everything is sorted to that day.

DON'T WAIT A WEEK OR TWO.

Go into Social the day after you get back. Your claim is valid from then. You will get back paid when everything is sorted to that day.

DON'T WAIT A WEEK OR TWO.

First day i'm back, into the social welfare office...

Then handing out a few CV's...

As i'll be living with my mother and she earns circa €300 a week, how will that affect my means test?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Advertisement

Hey,

So I'm back in Ireland and have been to the Welfare Office, and I’ve been given a list of documents to get...now for the most part its grand.

But I have to get a letter from FAS saying I’ve registered with them? Now firstly how do I register with FAS and what do I need? Secondly how to I get the letter, do I receive it after I apply?

Cheers in advance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Hey,

So I'm back in Ireland and have been to the Welfare Office, and I’ve been given a list of documents to get...now for the most part its grand.

But I have to get a letter from FAS saying I’ve registered with them? Now firstly how do I register with FAS and what do I need? Secondly how to I get the letter, do I receive it after I apply?

Cheers in advance

Go into your local FAS office, registering can be done on the spot as far as I know,the letter should be a similar set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

First day i'm back, into the social welfare office...

Then handing out a few CV's...

As i'll be living with my mother and she earns circa €300 a week, how will that affect my means test?

If your over 25 this won't matter.

Make sure you apply for jobs online. Then just print off the sent items and this will prove to the social welfare office you are indeed applying for jobs.

Just back from the welfare office, handed in all my paper work and everything was in order...

Then I was told my claim will be processed and I should know within 2 weeks...

Very sceptical but sure we'll wait and see:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

2 weeks does seem very optimistic, but hey, anything's possible and some offices do run a tight ship with fast-track applications for simple claims.

If you're stuck while you're waiting you can apply to your Community Welfare Officer for Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If its jobseekers benefit that you are getting 2 weeks seems realistic. It all depends on the sw office and the workload they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

If you get a form to fill in showing which jobs you have applied for since returning home,fill it out and get it back to them quickly,it says 14 days on the form but dont mind that,get it in or it will slow everything down,you can apply for a medical card too while your at it.

I just got a letter saying I have an interview next Friday in the social regarding my claim...Is this part of the normal procedure?

The interview will be exactly 2 weeks from my last time up in the social.

Cheers

I was returning from abroad too like yourself and I didnt have an interview but they did refuse my claim on habitually residency grounds but that was successfully appealed later,you know you can go to the community welfare officer while this is been processed too?I didnt know this untill a month had passed.

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    I was returning from abroad too like yourself and I didnt have an interview but they did refuse my claim on habitually residency grounds but that was successfully appealed later,you know you can go to the community welfare officer while this is been processed too?I didnt know this untill a month had passed.

Cheers mate, how long were you out of the country for?

I had only been away a year but because I told them I had a child living outside Ireland they said that my center of interest was not Ireland anymore,as I said this was appealed very quick,not a nice feeling to be refused like that though.The community welfare officer will look after you while you have a claim in with the social or until you find work.

I had only been away a year but because I told them I had a child living outside Ireland they said that my center of interest was not Ireland anymore,as I said this was appealed very quick,not a nice feeling to be refused like that though.The community welfare officer will look after you while you have a claim in with the social or until you find work.

Cheers mate, I was only out of the country for 4 months...

But I am just think now...

I don't think I included any evidence of applying for work in my original meeting so i'll bring print outs of my emails of job applications, although in the letter I received this morning, there was no reference to bring any information pertaining to applying and applied for jobs.

Its pretty much just asking me to bring in all the same stuff I brought in last Friday:confused:

So just back from the social welfare office, after been told that my interview was the 28th not the 8th:mad:

let us know how you get on,is the community welfare officer looking after you?

• Advertisement

let us know how you get on,is the community welfare officer looking after you?

Haven't been to one yet...just been dealing with welfare office in town with no one in particular

You need to go see the local welfare officer which is seperate from the Social,he will give you payments until its all sorted out.

So I had my interview Thursday 28th...

So how long should it be before I get word from the social on my claim?

Got another letter in the post...with yet another form to fill out...But it doesn't say where I'm supposed to bring it...

The form name is UP19

My next sign on day is in two weeks time...

So I just want to know what it involves?

Do I just go to my hatch with I.D and Social Card and just sign a piece of paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do I just go to my hatch with I.D and Social Card and just sign a piece of paper?

Yes. You most probably won't even need the ID, just the card.

JustMary wrote: »
    Yes. You most probably won't even need the ID, just the card.

Cheers

I've been on the dole for a while now, and I've been sent another a letter and forms to fill out.

The forms are the ones that proof I've been looking for work, but my question is where do I hand them in?

Do I hand them into the same hatch where I sign on every month or another hatch?

Cheers in Advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I've been on the dole for a while now, and I've been sent another a letter and forms to fill out.

The forms are the ones that proof I've been looking for work, but my question is where do I hand them in?

Do I hand them into the same hatch where I sign on every month or another hatch?

Cheers in Advance

same hatch but they will prob tell you to see an inspector

• Advertisement

gustafo wrote: »
    same hatch but they will prob tell you to see an inspector

Cheers mate

Advertisement