Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Means tested - now what?

• 14-12-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Ok guys bear with me, I collected my Jobseekers Allowance this morning, to find that €37 has been deducted from it, because I live with my partner who has a job.

She only gets a bit above minimum wage really, its not like she's a "high earner" making €700 a week or anything like that.

So in other words, I - who am actively jobseeking and have an interview soon - am costing her money because we are living together. Surely in the current economic climate there are many households in the same boat?

Who do I go to about this or what happens now? Please no snide remarks I won't be happy at that.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

When you were means tested what did the dept say your means were?
    You can appeal this decision (means test).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

are you claiming for her on your jsa im sure you should be that might give you extra money

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

lisar816 wrote: »
    are you claiming for her on your jsa im sure you should be that might give you extra money

OP has stated the partner works.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaraghMAC

MetalDog wrote: »
    Ok guys bear with me, I collected my Jobseekers Allowance this morning, to find that €37 has been deducted from it, because I live with my partner who has a job.

She only gets a bit above minimum wage really, its not like she's a "high earner" making €700 a week or anything like that.

So in other words, I - who am actively jobseeking and have an interview soon - am costing her money because we are living together. Surely in the current economic climate there are many households in the same boat?

Who do I go to about this or what happens now? Please no snide remarks I won't be happy at that.

Sorry to let you know but those are the rules! Not a lot you can do.

mp22 wrote: »
    OP has stated the partner works.
    so you cant claim if the person works?? not sure because when
    we applied for fis they said we would get it if i wasnt claiming for my partner my partner was working so how would this be alslo i know a person that was disallowed fis because they were claiming for there partner on there jsa he was the one working she took him of and got fis instead

the only way you cant claim for your partner is if she is getting a social welfare payment in her own right

now i could be wrong please feel free to tell me im wrong if i am!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I'm gonna go into them and ask. Most likely I'll be stymied by a wall of bureacratic indifference but I'll see how it goes.

I'm gonna go into them and ask. Most likely I'll be stymied by a wall of bureacratic indifference but I'll see how it goes.
    please do and let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaraghMAC

Believe me if you go in there with that attitude you will get nowhere!!!

DaraghMAC wrote: »
    Believe me if you go in there with that attitude you will get nowhere!!!

Yes, mother. :rolleyes:

Now people play nice please.:)

• Advertisement

lisar816 wrote: »
    please do and let me know how you get on
    Will do indeed. Thanks for being nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Joe_the_paddy

The thing with JA is that its designed that you are just able to get by between jobs, every €1 your partner earns after €60 drops your JA by 60c(if partner is working 3 days or more)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

You can claim for your partner, even though she works. What she earns will be assessed and your money will be reduced. My partner claims for me and I work part time.

Advertisement