Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance questions

Options
  • 15-12-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Just a few questions in regards to rent allowance.

So I'm 23, living out of home for 6 months and on a jobbridge internship.
    Problem is the expenses of getting the work is effecting my ability to pay rent.( by the way Can i claim travel expenses in anything? I'm spendig about 25 euro a week on getting buses?)

I'm living in my current residence for 3 months.

My questions are:
    1: How do I prove I've been living out for 6 months? Is a signed letter and phone number enough? Also how much proof is necessary?

2: My rent is officially 250 a month and in my area thats the limit. But however I put 260 into the bank a month for tv bill. Will that count as going over the limit? What happens if your rent is over the limit anyway? Do you get cut off or just have to pay the difference yourself?

3: It says on citizeninformation.ie that I have to complete a supplementary rent form before I complete the rent allowance form. I have done this months ago, while i was waiting for the dole to come in. Do I have to do it again?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    Just a few questions in regards to rent allowance.

So I'm 23, living out of home for 6 months and on a jobbridge internship.
    Problem is the expenses of getting the work is effecting my ability to pay rent.( by the way Can i claim travel expenses in anything? I'm spendig about 25 euro a week on getting buses?)

My questions are:
    1: How do I prove I've been living out for 6 months? Is a signed letter and phone number enough? Also how much proof is necessary?

2: My rent is officially 250 a month and in my area thats the limit. But however I put 260 into the bank a month for tv bill. Will that count as going over the limit? What happens if your rent is over the limit anyway? Do you get cut off or just have to pay the difference yourself?

3: It says on citizeninformation.ie that I have to complete a supplementary rent form before I complete the rent allowance form. I have done this months ago, while i was waiting for the dole to come in. Do I have to do it again?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance guys :)

Where are you that the limit is so low?

You need to explain with proof that the extra money is for TV. You mean that you pay the LL for TV?

If your rent is over the limit then they will not give rent allowance.

You will have proof in payments, lease signed of your residence.

Everything has to be proves in writing simply.

The first step is to see your CWO. Nothing can be done until you do t hat.. taking proof of income and rent etc

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

*Answers in Bold*

Can i claim travel expenses in anything?
    I don't think so. You get an extra €50 a week but thats it.

My questions are:

An old rent book from previous accommodation if you have one or a letter from your previous landlord should suffice. Depends on what the CWO wants really.

Your rent is €250 that's all that counts. They ask you how much rent is excluding tv/light and heat so you pay €250 a week for rent that's all that matters.

If your rent is over the limit you get it reduced or no rent allowance. Some people say their rent is the limit and then pay the difference however I think it's too messy and advise against it. It just makes rent higher and is also illegal in a way.

Yes you have to refill it. Circumstances may have changed. Your income may have changed and your details will so you have to fill a new one.

Advertisement