Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do i have to register with local housing authority?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the right place.
    I recently changed house i live. it'shappened in the time when i lost my job.
    I applied for the rent relief. When welfare officer was in the house confirming address he said that i will get it but i also have to register with local housing authority.
    ...i thought it's only if u r trying to get social accomodation or something like that.
    Does anyone know why do i have to do it??
    Thank you for you help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

In order to quaify for rent supplement you need to have been either renting for 6 months or have been assesed as "in need of housing" by the local authority (in other words on the housing list).
    there are other "conditions" as well but those are just the rules and the quicker you apply to the local authority the quicker you will be approved and the get your rent supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

0210ania wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the right place.
    I recently changed house i live. it'shappened in the time when i lost my job.
    I applied for the rent relief. When welfare officer was in the house confirming address he said that i will get it but i also have to register with local housing authority.
    ...i thought it's only if u r trying to get social accomodation or something like that.
    Does anyone know why do i have to do it??
    Thank you for you help.

I guess they see it if you need to get help paying rent then council housing would benefit you. I had to apply but it's very easy and isn't much hassle or at least it wasn't in my locality. Call to the local town council or council offices and they will give you s form to fill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 0210ania

Thank you very much for ur help :-)
    It makes sense ...because i live in this place only 2 months, so it's not 6. W. Officer said i will get my supplement but didn'texplain why i have to register but now looks like because i'm here only couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

If your on own with no kids they will never give you a house. Plus they also note that you only applied for housing to receive rent relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 0210ania

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    If your on own with no kids they will never give you a house. Plus they also note that you only applied for housing to receive rent relief.

No with no kids. I don't want to change place where i live so i don't want house from them. Welfare officer said that i will get rent supplement but have to register with them.
    Hope they won't make me change house or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

True you get a one bedroom flat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Yeah you won't get it if you live in some proper swank house that is beyond your means. 2 bed house might be the most you get away with if it's just you. I've never had rent allowance but I tried to get it. But the house me and my GF shared was "too nice" to deserve it. They said move somewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I asked why too and was told that they ideally want everyone to be in social housing.. which, given the waiting lists etc, is a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah you won't get it if you live in some proper swank house that is beyond your means. 2 bed house might be the most you get away with if it's just you. I've never had rent allowance but I tried to get it. But the house me and my GF shared was "too nice" to deserve it. They said move somewhere cheaper.

That would be because the rent was over the limit they have. Nothing to do with the quality! Limits are listed on the Citizen's Info excellent site.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

Graces7 wrote: »
    That would be because the rent was over the limit they have. Nothing to do with the quality! Limits are listed on the Citizen's Info excellent site.

+1 I live in a gorgeous house but my rent is well below the limit. All counties have limits

• Advertisement
Advertisement