Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets

Options
  • 20-11-2015 6:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Fast food connoisseurs will be overjoyed to learn that a new Eddie Rocket’s restaurant looks set to be on the menu for Athlone in the near future.

T & L Partnership Limited received planning approval in recent days in relation to what is believed to be the former Mary’s Discount Store retail outlet at 1 Irishtown Central, John Broderick Street in Athlone, bringing with it the possibility of a substantial jobs boost if, and when, the business begins trading in the town.

- See more at: http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/11/20/4109971-green-light-for-eddie-rockets-restaurant-/#sthash.wUN5L5vu.dpuf

I see Eddie Rockets is set to occupy Marys Discount store.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Good to see the unit occupied. Ugh to Eddie Rockets, not a fan :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Can't drive to it, therefore will never eat out of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It wouldn't kill you to walk from the Dunnes car park. I've been to Eddies in Navan and Galway. The food is nice, but they serve almost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Ah I'm sure you could sneakily park in the loading bay, just keep an eye out for the traffic warden :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The walk down to the back of Dunnes would be good exercise after a meal in Eddies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Been to the Navan one a few times don't drive to it I get the bus drops me off across the street. Yay for all the new jobs Boo for the fact its a fast food outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A substantial jobs boost from opening a fast food place? How would that work?

A substantial jobs boost from opening a fast food place? How would that work?

A number of full and part time staff to keep it running plus companies who may be required to deliver goods to the restaurant, all paid and potentially spending their hard earned cash within the town, providing a positive knock on effect to the micro-economy that is Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You'd be surprised how many are employed in such outlets across various shifts as Eddie's is open in many locations until 4am. A lot of them tend to be part time positions however.

eg McDonalds opened a new drive thru in Naas last week employing over 100 staff (with that number I'm sure most were part timers )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's good to hear that the unit which was formally Mary's Discount store will be reused, great to hear that it's eddie rockets as that's a real treat to us when we go to Dublin. It's a great location for it, right between the two main shopping centres so it will pick up all that footfall. Also it will improve that part of the town and may encourage something to be done with the old O'Neill's pub site which has been left sitting idle for years now.

I seen on facebook over the weekend that Eddie Rockets had looked to open in Mullingar, now it wasn't clear from the article I read whether it was refused permission or if it was a choice between Athlone and Mullingar and Athlone was chosen. There seemed to be a lot of "how come Athlone gets everything and we get nothing" sentiment in the comments.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    ...There seemed to be a lot of "how come Athlone gets everything and we get nothing" sentiment in the comments.

You would hear a lot from Athlonians when Mullingar might get something :P

I cannot wait to get a big dirty burger from Eddies. So much so, I might get one in Galway on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Itzy wrote: »
    I cannot wait to get a big dirty burger from Eddies. So much so, I might get one in Galway on Thursday.

You're out luck, I'm afraid. The one in Galway is now called 'Rockin' Joes'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You're out luck, I'm afraid. The one in Galway is now called 'Rockin' Joes'
    On William Gate Street perhaps but I think the one behind the G hotel is still an Eddies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

flazio wrote: »
    On William Gate Street perhaps but I think the one behind the G hotel is still an Eddies

Nope it's a Rockin' Joe's.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Nope it's a Rockin' Joe's.

I know the one on Eglington street is a Rockin' Joes. So both have changed their name.

I know the one on Eglington street is a Rockin' Joes. So both have changed their name.

Is it the same company? Wasn't sure if one bought the other out, or they split into different companies, or....

I'm not sure. I suppose it's something that can be looked into.

I'm not sure. I suppose it's something that can be looked into.

Yeah maybe...!

Apparently Eddie Rockets doesn't exist in Galway anymore and it is an entirely separate company to Rockin' Joes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A number of full and part time staff to keep it running plus companies who may be required to deliver goods to the restaurant, all paid and potentially spending their hard earned cash within the town, providing a positive knock on effect to the micro-economy that is Athlone.

Is the number of people eating out in Athlone going to increase or is the business going to transfer from other outlets in the area? What is being talked about is job displacement, not job creation.

I do remember American Bites opening in a unit at the old Shopping Centre and we can what job displacement that caused. None and American Bites is technically no more. I don't see Eddies doing much harm to the Left Bank and the likes. Supermacs and the Genoa might see a drop off for awhile, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Is the number of people eating out in Athlone going to increase or is the business going to transfer from other outlets in the area? What is being talked about is job displacement, not job creation.

Well unless the entire customer base of every restaurant decides to solely eat in eddie rockets for the foreseeable future, then I can't really see how it would be job displacement. For it to be displacement of jobs, eddies would have to put at least one competitor out of business.

Customer displacement maybe, but the jobs are new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Well unless the entire customer base of every restaurant decides to solely eat in eddie rockets for the foreseeable future, then I can't really see how it would be job displacement. For it to be displacement of jobs, eddies would have to put at least one competitor out of business.

Customer displacement maybe, but the jobs are new.

No necessarily. If 20 competitors each lost 1 job but survived in business and eddies employed in 20 it would be job displacement. The only way there would not be job displacement would be if people dined out in Athlone who had not dined out there before or those who dine out there dine out more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I do remember American Bites opening in a unit at the old Shopping Centre and we can what job displacement that caused. None and American Bites is technically no more. ...

A terrible place, both food and service, if ever there was one.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    What is being talked about is job displacement, not job creation.

In fairness, the more and better places to eat there are, the more people are likely to take a trip to Athlone, and the less likely Athlone folks are to head up to Liffey Valley or Galway for a movie and a burger.

But I don't think this will be enough to keep Eddie Rockets going, and assuming it stays open, most customers will be people who would otherwise eat somewhere else in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

One thing is an issue. Parking. well people be welling to walk from golden island or dunnes for Eddie rockets

cena wrote: »
    well people be welling to walk from golden island or dunnes for Eddie rockets

I was going to point out that it's only 100 yards, but it is slightly uphill, and we are talking about a burger and chips joint...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I can't see it doing that well. ..it'll do ok for a while. ...but people won't continue to pay the outrageous prices they charge for food....people will be back giving their money to Pat Mcdonagh soon enough.

Advertisement