Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coilover suspension legality?

• 09-08-2015 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hey guys just recently bought a 05 polo and am wanting to customize it as a project and was wondering if anybody knew the legality's of adding aftermarket coilover suspension to lower the car.
    Any help or input is much appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're not illegal but you should inform your insurance company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I wouldn't bother personally. The roads aren't really good enough to be driving a slammed car. You'll have problems going over speed bumps and it will just piss people off who are behind you trying to not be late for work :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pov06 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother personally. The roads aren't really good enough to be driving a slammed car. You'll have problems going over speed bumps and it will just piss people off who are behind you trying to not be late for work :pac:

Weld some plates underneath and skim across them pesky ramps.

Oh the joy and sparks to add.....

Weld some plates underneath and skim across them pesky ramps.

Oh the joy and sparks to add.....

Sure what's the point of spending money on coilovers if the end result is a car slower than a Daewoo Matiz.

Visually it's nicer?

It'll still be a polo

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Visually it's nicer?

It'll still be a polo

Yeah, good if you like taking pictures of your car in Tesco car park. That's about the only use.

You could say that about alloys tbh.

You could say that about alloys tbh.

I dunno like, at least you don't need to drive at 5 km/h over speed bumps! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

As Colm has said they are legal as long as you declare them to your insurance. They will pass an NCT no bother as long as they aren't busted/leaking same situation with any suspension setup. The only thing about the NCT is your car has to be above a certain ride height I believe a general rule of thumb is if its able to get onto the lift without rubbing then its high enough I do not know the exact height limit with regards to how low you can go but it wouldn't be too hard to find out if ya rang an nct center or checked the website.
    I hope you thanked pov for his/her excellent and helpful advice.

I hope you thanked pov for his/her excellent and helpful advice.

It is helpful advice actually. Seems like a bad waste on a Polo having to spend hundreds on coilovers and get a hike on your insurance premium.

• Advertisement

Coilover's for polo's are usually very cheap as polo's are so popular with the euro/dub scene all over Europe in fact it's usually noted among modifying circles that the polo is the cheapest car to get coilovers for. However cost is not the issue the op was simply asking whether or not coilovers were legal so helpful advice should relate directly to the legality of coilovers not whether or not the op should get them in the first place or if they are a waste of money etc.. It's his car he wants to lower it and he wants to use coilovers and he wanted to know if they were legal, therefore your advice was not helpful in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

waste of time putting coils on a 05 polo, it's not as if we are talking about a race car here with serious performance gains to be had, you can probably get cheap springs if that is what you want to go ahead and do but decent coils are not exactly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What is the difference between coilovers and lowering springs?
    I fitted a set of Eibach springs (-30mm) to my 01 Fiat Bravo several years ago, and put set of new stock KYB shocks and this setup works great for me.
    Car is only slightly lower, and as they are progressive springs is still comfortable enough but when you drive fast or his bumps then you really feel the advantage of such setup.
    Would coilovers be any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Hachiko wrote: »
    waste of time putting coils on a 05 polo, it's not as if we are talking about a race car here with serious performance gains to be had, you can probably get cheap springs if that is what you want to go ahead and do but decent coils are not exactly cheap.

It's not for performance! It's a 05 polo. Slam it and have the craic! I drove lowered cars for years, it takes it toll some times on the wallet and back. But do I regret it? No not at all.

Some people don't get the whole lowering thing, which is fine of course. Just like some people don't get how epic an is250 SEL is.

CiniO wrote: »
    I fitted a set of Eibach springs (-30mm) to my 01 Fiat Bravo several years ago, and put set of new stock KYB shocks and this setup works great for me.
    Car is only slightly lower, and as they are progressive springs is still comfortable enough but when you drive fast or his bumps then you really feel the advantage of such setup.

Coil over means the shock is within the spring, but in this context it has come to mean a pre assembled unit ready to bolt on, and height adjustable.

I wouldn't say waste of time, just just because a polo's in general are slow (interestingly some extremely fast turbo diesel and petrol turbo polo builds in the uk but lets not deviate too far off topic) The op clearly wants coilovers to lower his car for aesthetic reasons granted springs can achieve this but they cannot go as low as coilovers as they will fall out or become loose in the cups when the car is on a lift of jacked up. A standard polo isn't to aesthetically pleasing but they can be made look alright for a cheap car if lowered with nice euro style dished alloys. For some driving a car thats slightly different to the norm is very appealing and cheap coilovers will suit this purpose just fine no one is suggesting you go out and buy bespoke race spec coilovers so I don't see how any one could say it will cost you too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭jamesk014

Thanks to those who answered my question and got where I was coming from. I have no intentions on spending hundred's or thousand's on customizing the car or ruining a perfect but slow car as some of you seem to think, all I hope for is something a little different than every other polo out there.
    As I said it is a project and its was a simple idea and what seemed to be the best way and safest to lower the car to a preferred height,
    I simply wasn't 100% on what was acceptable or not in the eyes of the law.

Thanks again, OP

you can spend loads on coils with fitting and all that, might need camber adjustment or spigot rings etc also. I think its madness, but hey ho if it looks good slammed outside tescos car park.

I could put coils onto my Lexus, do I think it's any use? not really.

you can spend loads on coils with fitting and all that, might need camber adjustment or spigot rings etc also. I think its madness, but hey ho if it looks good slammed outside tescos car park.

Have you ever fitted lowering springs to any car? I've only done it on 2 of my cars (both Mitsubishi FTOs) because I had gotten bigger wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

CiniO wrote: »

Seeing as I had coilovers on a Bravo, the handling was moreso improved again with adjustable ride height and preload. The car previously had 60/40 lowering springs on new sachs super tourers which were a huge improvement over standard; the ride comfort actually improved slightly (from unbearable to just bone shaking at times) and had a much lower stance. Under the right conditions the car would become a tripod in the corners.

You can adjust the camber at the front only, at your discretion if you want to or not.

Coilovers for a Mk1 Bravo are excruciatingly rare to get a hold of btw. If you really want coilovers, Mk2 Punto coilovers will fit with some modifications from what I'm told (my set were designed for the car though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Do you know what spigot rings are?? :confused:

When it comes to cars, not everything has to have a use, we do it just because we like it.

Cheapest coilovers you'll get are here: http://www.lowerks.com/shop-by-car-brand/fk-ak-polo-mk6-9n-01-05/

I have them in my fiesta, cheap lows and they arent terrible. A little bit crashy at low speeds but nothing unbearable. Who wants to put €600 coilovers onto a runaround anyway??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

i would love to lower my vrs but cost wise not sure.

Not slammed but I do like a genuine look but a little bit extra..

Have you ever fitted lowering springs to any car? I've only done it on 2 of my cars (both Mitsubishi FTOs) because I had gotten bigger wheels.

I know people who have it done, for decent coils you can pay upwards of £600 and that doesnt inc fitting and any issues you might have with camber and the like afterwards.

unless you want something like this :p

8Ef2UoK6WnnkPYuvSWl__0lghhLP7XyJsKykAzoTx0Rf=w1023-h575-no

Best choice IMO for the OP is get inexpensive springs onto the stock shocks.

That thing is on its bollox and theres not a fear that it's done using coilovers! most probably on air bags. Its also cambered to fit the wheels under the arch so obviously that took more work along with aftermarket wheel nuts and spacers. The op just wants cheap coilovers to lower the car down to have minimal arch gap no one mentioned cambering and rolling arches and trying to win dubshed or anything so please lets keep things sane :rolleyes: cheap coilovers, cheap used bbs reps, fit all yourself declare on insurance and bobs your uncle ya have a nice little euro style polo that'll have a bit of "street cred" :P all should be taken care of for in and around the 500 mark prob a touch over and when the time comes to sell up the car can be returned to original in the while of an evening and the aftermarket parts sold separately or sell as is choice is up to the owner. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I know people who have it done, for decent coils you can pay upwards of £600 and that doesnt inc fitting and any issues you might have with camber and the like afterwards.

unless you want something like this :p

8Ef2UoK6WnnkPYuvSWl__0lghhLP7XyJsKykAzoTx0Rf=w1023-h575-no

Best choice IMO for the OP is get inexpensive springs onto the stock shocks.

You haven't a clue, coilovers are fully adjustable so they don't always have to be set at the lowest setting.

For cheap fun coilovers for a polo are less than 200 quid. I've had cheap coilovers and top of the range coilovers the difference is vast. But for cheap thrills they do the job fine.

EDIT: OP keep it simple and they look quiet smart IMO, like this one, no bbs rs reps, anyone who knows anything about wheels will spot them from a mile away!

3F49644F-DB56-43FC-8240-77DD909581E1_zpsqohmsqcc.jpg

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    You haven't a clue, coilovers are fully adjustable so they don't always have to be set at the lowest setting.

For cheap fun coilovers for a polo are less than 200 quid. I've had cheap coilovers and top of the range coilovers the difference is vast. But for cheap thrills they do the job fine.

EDIT: OP keep it simple and they look quiet smart IMO, like this one, no bbs rs reps, anyone who knows anything about wheels will spot them from a mile away!

I have plenty of clue, show me these 200 euro coilovers, are they made from weetabix or something.

ShaunieVW wrote: »

I like it my friend, exactly what I had in mind nothing crazy or stupid! a little lower nice set of alloys maybe small bit of tint is all i have in mind, you get the idea :) and to everyone harping over ''why bother'' or ''its a waste of money'' you clearly don't see where im coming from but hey.. that's your own opinion.

still waiting for a link for 200euro nanyak primo coilovers, (set of tyres thrown in free).

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TA-Technix-COILOVERS-coilover-kit-VW-Polo-mk4-9N-adjustable-suspension-TUV-/261824069001?hash=item3cf5ee3d89

Dunno what your end game is or why this is so important to ya and I didn't plan on getting involved with this petty sh1t but there ya go cheap new coilovers. Now I'd say a mod would be aswell off close this thread as the op has got the advice he needed from those of us who aren't on here to argue and offer little to no constructive advice.

• Advertisement

Yea, could a mod please close this I have gotten more than what I needed which im grateful for. Just sad to see some people trying to win some irrelevant argument's that they clearly don't know half of what there talking about.

Thanks again to those helpful few.

OP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement